Suggestions welcome

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by manhattan, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manhattan

manhattan Scribbler - Standard Member

I have placed an order for a lenovo x61 tablet, but they have pushed back my delivery date to 08/06 so I'm ready to look else where.

2. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

What about the HP tx1000z ?

3. manhattan

I thought wacom digitizers, are better for note taking then a touch screen?

4. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Yes, indeed they are.

With your budget, it may be a little tough. Other than the X61, which you've ordered, you could get a Toshiba Portege M400 with SXGA+ which weighs in at around 4.5 – 5 pounds. There are some problems with Toshiba, mainly with technical support, and the possibility of dust getting under the screen. Other than that, the M400 is a great alternative, if you can get past Toshiba's support with a lot of patience. However, Toshiba has not yet updated their Tablet PCs to the Santa Rosa technology platform as found in the Fujitsu T4220 and Lenovo X61. So playing some of the games you've listed on the M400 may not run or run sluggishly.

5. manhattan

What kind of budget would we be looking at, where I can get what I'm looking for? And what are some of the options?

6. SimsHsia

The Toshiba M400 can be customized directly from Toshiba USA, here. With the SXGA+ option, it starts at $1,599 with the Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 1.66 GHz processor option to $2,149 with the Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33 Ghz processor option.

7. manhattan

Dollar for dollar, Toshibas don't seem to me to be as good a deal as the Lenovo X61 tablet.

For $1,673.31 Lenovo will deliver a comparable system to what toshiba will sell me for $1,854.22 (This for a system configured to my liking and includes Tax & shipping).

8. SimsHsia

In terms of having an SXGA+ screen, either the X60 or the X61 is the only other alternative.

Fujitsu's T4220 does have an SXGA+ option, but not for consumers, Fujitsu's next release, the T4225, will come toward the end of this year and will hopefully have an SXGA+ screen option. Of course, this would bring Fujitsu out of the equation, as it doesn't fit your budget.

In my honest opinion, I think you're better off with waiting for the X61 you ordered to be shipped, it is a great value for a SXGA+ screen and a better deal, as you state. Until it ships, the wait is definitely worth it, as much as it is frustrating to wait a month to receive it, for the deal you got it at. :)

9. cplusplus

cplusplus Pen Pal - Newbie

there is hardly a way to enjoy those games on a small tablet PC with a weak processor (like the L 7500 in x61t) and integrated graphics support. I don't play FEAR but if I recall correctly it only needs a good enough video card to play so you might be able to run it, but it's a FPS and needs speed to enjoy it. As for oblivion, I strongly doubt you can actually play it on X61t. BTW, mass effect is for XBox (if it ever ported to PC, it would definitely require a top video card).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.