Suggestions on Battery Replacement?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by otheipion, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otheipion

otheipion Pen Pal - Newbie

The standard 8 cell battery for my X60 tablet is very pricey (~160 USD) while there are Chinese knockoffs on eBay for less than half the price.

I'd appreciate hearing about any success stories on aftermarket battery replacement - especially as it pertains to X60/61 tablets.

Thanks, in advance, for any light you can shed.

2. otheipion

otheipion Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, after listening to the crickets sing for about a week, I decided to buy a battery directly from Lenovo. There were too many bad user reviews on the knockoffs at amazon - which look to be the same as those on eBay - and I don't want to risk nuking my warranty if a battery failure trashes my tablet.

I ended up using Visaperks and got a decent discount and free shipping through Lenovo ($160.89 including taxes). It ended up being the lowest price I could find in Canada and much cheaper and easier than purchasing through Amazon.com.

Good luck to those in a similar situation.

3. Chocobo

Chocobo Scribbler - Standard Member

It definitely looks like anyone outside the States (and thus without access to Lenovo's refurb deals) has to cough up the big bucks.

4. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

A re-cell business may be competitive to cheap china batteries without a brand name. ONE such place is www.batteryrefill.com they offer 30 day 100% money back guarantee and 1 year service. They should also be greener since they will reuse your old battery. You can get yours refilled for $99 with more storage capacity than the original. http://www.batteryrefill.com/laptops/Lenovo/92P1171.phtml

My experience with digital batteries for cameras which normally retail for $45 each is that the cheap ones, swell after a while and don't hold a charge for as long as a name brand such as Energizer or Maxwell. Panasonic is changing firmware to force brand name batteries so that they don't have to repair cameras with battery issues from bad cut off circuits.

5. ygthb

ygthb SQA Start-Up Guy

Lenovo Outlet

6. sano88

sano88 Pen Pal - Newbie

I second the Lenovo outlet. I bought an 8-cell for ~$60; it had 0 cycles on it.

7. ygthb

ygthb SQA Start-Up Guy

just went to buy one and the outlet is not working

8. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

Zero cycles are not the issue with Li batteries, it's when it was made. The problem with buying Li batteries anywhere except when you buy the laptop or from your OEM is how long they sat on the shelf (or how long they sat on someone else's shelf before they were sold to the 3rd party as discounted). I don't know, personally what a refurbished battery at Lenovo means. Does it mean they replaced the cells? Does it mean they cleaned it up and reset the counter after they took it out of another laptop? Does it mean that it's stock that's been sitting around for a while? If you sell 'new' at double the price, what are you selling at half the price?

9. ygthb

ygthb SQA Start-Up Guy

It started working, ordered mine, $60 or so. For that price I will take Lenovo over OEM.

10. ygthb

ygthb SQA Start-Up Guy

Got it

Full Charge Capacity - 69.44
    Current - 1.17
    Voltage - 14.54
    Wattage - 18.59
    Cycle Count - 1 (now after overnight charge)
    manufacture date - 11/20/2009
    first used date - 03/2010 (my use)
    design capacity - 66.24
    design voltage - 14.40

looks good on day 1, will report as time goes on

this was purchased as a reconditioned unit off lenovooutlet, box said used.

it is exactly the battery, not a knock off, and about $60 for the 8 cell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.