Suggestions for Bible software on Android tablets? (and other OSs for comparison)

Discussion in 'Professions' started by HJK, Sep 17, 2019.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm wondering if anyone out there can share experience using Bible software on an Android tablet? I'm asking about full-strength type apps and how they work--things like Oaktree, Accordance (?), Logos, etc.

Context: For years I've only used Windows tablets in large part because I use Accordance and I never found anything on Android that could do what Accordance does. What can I do with Accordance in my use case? On a smaller tablet, I mostly want to be able to read the original languages with an English translation in parallel, while having access to "instant details" (brief parsing and lexical information by right clicking) and the ability to search for lexical forms and to look up lexicon or dictionary entries for words.

It's also nice that I can use the same program on a larger convertible to do more serious work and research--advanced lexica searches, using a broader library, using the Hebrew or Greek text to make homework assignments or to prepare academic papers, etc.--although honestly I rarely use Accordance for that type of thing these days. But I have in the past and probably will again in the future, so it's nice to have full Accordance for both laptop/desktop *and* tablet use cases.

Given that Bible software isn't cheap, after a couple of years of rocking Windows tablets I stopped even considering any Android alternatives (except maybe the free app on my phone). But I've been considering switching over to Android tablets for other reasons, and I would like to revisit the question and explore the options. Also, now that Accordance has put some time into developing a mobile app, if it's finally up to snuff that makes things much easier.

What can you do on Android with apps like Oaktree, Logos, Accordance Mobile, etc.? The last time I checked, Oaktree looked the best on Android. To recap, here's what I'd like to do on a tablet:
    * Read two texts in parallel (Hebrew/Greek and English) on the same screen
    * Have easy access to parsing and lexical information
    * Ideally be able to run quick lexical searches without much trouble

Also, in a perfect world I would then be able to attach a keyboard and use the same app on the same device to do more serious work (advanced searches and the like).

I need to free up space on my phone, but I'll tinker with Accordance Mobile and see if I like it.

Anyone have experience with any of these types of software, either on a Windows tablet or Android or Apple device?
    Please share! TIA

PS--Another great function for using Accordance on Windows is the ability to take a screenshot of a passage and then insert that screenshot into OneNote for notetaking. I'm guessing some sort of similar functionality would be available on a Samsung device with S Pen, but then I don't really know much about those devices.