Suggestions for 17 inch or smaller with pen?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by ginakra, Dec 21, 2017.

1. ginakra

ginakra Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all. Need some help finding a suitable tablet. I don't think they make what I want, lol. I thought maybe you all could help. I'd love a 17 inch 2 in 1 or similar with pen support, but I can't seem to find any. I don't know if I need a dedicated graphics card or not, nor how big I have to go with that. Thank you for advice. I filled out the form below.

1. What is your budget?
    Up to $1200 USD

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Probably not

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    I would prefer a detachable or convertable windows 10 pc.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    I'd go no smaller than 15 inch. I'd actually be happiest with a 17 inch, but not sure that exists.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Not necessarily. I don't think I'd purchase a brand I've never heard of though.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    It will almost always be plugged in, so it's not really important. If it can go 2 hrs during work, and 6 or more sleeping that would be plenty.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Photoshop for painting, drawing, graphic design, photo editing, etc. Illustrator and Draw for vectors, games but nothing that needs huge requirements. I play hidden object games, with mostly static screen or small animations and some video clips thrown in. I do however, have loads of programs open at the same time. I use multiple graphics programs open with multiple canvases, and 20 tabs open in Chrome while watching a youtube video and texting with the husband all the same time.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows 10 for sure.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    As stated, Photoshop, Illustrator, Painter, Draw, Paintshop Pro, Silhouette Studio, some embroidery digitizing orograms tyhat shoukdnt need more than tge ither programs, some games, i do a few video edits from my 4k phone every once in awhile. I browse internet, facebook, etc.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Not sure you guys would recognize them, but hidden object games, not anything like the big names that have loads of textures and constant video renderings.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Yes, I plug my computer to my 4k tv all lol the time. So I do need an HDMI port.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    I'd prefer 1920x1080. My eyes are not what they were and text is teeny on my tv and screen any higher res than that.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    No, probably never outside.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    Yes, otherwise I would just get a regular desktop replacement. I don't care what technology really, as long as I have enough pressure levels, no jitter, and parralax, I think they call it, is a minimum. I hate putting my pen down with my line starting somewhere else entirely.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? 1tb minimum. I'd love 2tb. An ssd would be nice as a addition, to the sata. 16gb memory. I'd like to add memory later, but it's not a dealbreaker.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Yes, I'd like at least 3 full sized usb ports, the more the merrier. 4 is preferable. Micro or full sized sd is fine, not picky. I need an HDMI port for sure, deal breaker without.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    I'm not sure if a dedicated graphics card will help me or not with my programs. I do hate lag when I'm trying to work on several graphic designs at once. Right now I'm using C6, not the subscription based Adobe suite, I don't know if I will switch later. Do I need a "gamer" type graphics card?

Thank you!

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You're right.

What you describe does not exist. I'd probably own one if it did.

Though.., actually... a 17 inch screen is awfully close to "Stay on Desk" territory for me.

I've always felt 15" to 16" was the sweet spot for portables. There are a few of those out there; some quite good too, any one of which could easily handle all the tasks you describe.

There have been a couple of 17" machines which accept active stylus input, but they're just regular laptops and the screens don't fold back.

You could try something like our resident Shogmaster did...

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/genius-or-retarded.73123/

The jury is still out on whether that was a good idea or not. (Though, I'd almost certainly be doing something similar if it was the only option for a large-screen portable. Curiously, I've never been asked to serve on a jury. Funny, that).

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

17? naw, not yet, maybe never. But 15" gives you a couple options at least.

Most notable is probably the Wacom Mobile Studio Pro, with a 4k 15.6" screen.

Next would be Lenovo Yoga 720 15" with Wacom AES pen tech also 4k I believe. Also can be found within your price range sometimes.

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

5. ginakra

ginakra Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, I kind of figured as much. I ended up buying an HP envy 17", that I thought had a touch screen but doesn't. Its the model newer than what the guy who tried using it as a tablet had, lol. I accepted the fact that I probably need both a desktop replacement-like laptop, and I'll just need to save up and get a "lesser" power tablet for sketching later. I really needed a powerful laptop with a big hard drive (I had to settle for 1tb plus a 256gb ssd, but would have preferred 2tb plus the ssd) and these tiny SSD's in the tablet are deal killers. I still wonder if I'm doing the right thing, but the 17t was the closest I could find to what I want minus the tablet feature. I was disappointed with the "dead" screen, but honestly, if I can't fold it or detach it, what's the point anyway? So I'm keeping it unless I change my mind in the next few days within the return period. Thank you!

6. ginakra

ginakra Pen Pal - Newbie

I actually didn't want a 4k screen, I wanted a fullHD, but thank you! I will look at it anyway and see if there is another model.

7. ginakra

ginakra Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, I kind of figured as much. I ended up buying an HP envy 17", that I thought had a touch screen but doesn't. Its the model newer than what the guy who tried using it as a tablet had, lol. I accepted the fact that I probably need both a desktop replacement-like laptop, and I'll just need to save up and get a "lesser" powered smaller tablet for sketching later. I really needed a powerful laptop with a big hard drive (I had to settle for 1tb plus a 256gb ssd, but would have preferred 2tb plus the ssd) and these tiny SSD's in the tablet are deal killers. I still wonder if I'm doing the right thing, but the 17t was the closest I could find to what I want minus the tablet feature. I was disappointed with the "dead" screen, but honestly, if I can't fold it or detach it, what's the point anyway? So I'm keeping it unless I change my mind in the next few days within the return period. Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. ginakra

ginakra Pen Pal - Newbie

Now this would have interested me for sure, but the 256 SSD only is not going to work for me. I need the 1tb SATA at least for data storage, and prefer the 17" for doing real work, especially for that price. I will probably just save up and get a mid-range, less expensive, convertible, slate, or detachable in a few months or so, since what I really want does not exist ;)

9. ginakra

ginakra Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks all of you for replying and attempting to help a gal out. :)