Suggestions/Advice for a first-time buyer

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by HeavenlyWicked, Jan 24, 2021.

1. HeavenlyWicked

HeavenlyWicked Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    Around $1500 USD, definitely less than $2000

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Iffy about it but can consider

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Would prefer a Windows tablet PC

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

10 to 13-inches or Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

No

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

Not as important but I would hope to have at least 3+ hours unplugged

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

So this will actually be an all-rounder for me. I need a laptop for college courses and I would like to draw on a bigger screen than my phone.

I would need it to be able to run smoothly with multiple tabs and documents open due to research and of course hoping for a decent drawing tech.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    I've had an iPhone in the past and wouldn't hate Apple OS but I currently do have an android device.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Microsoft Office, Clip Studio Paint.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    I would hope to? This would be my first laptop/PC device that's not a $300 laptop because of Black Friday (lasted as long as it could).

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Not really

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

Um... I really don't know much when it comes to tech things

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    I doubt it but it would be nice to have a matte screen (or matte screen protector) because I wear glasses and glare bothers me a lot.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?

Yes. Preferably with pressure sensitivity. I would like Wacom EMR; I am not as familiar with AES or N-trig. My phone is a Samsung Note.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

Would prefer 16gb of ram and decent storage.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Full sized USB would be great. I do not use SD card slots as much. Maybe would require HDMI inputs.
    Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

May need a more comfortable pen depending on what it comes with.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    Ideally I would like a tablet PC so I can also take notes with it for my courses. However I am also wondering if it would be better to just buy the best specs I can get + Huion Kamvas Pro 13 with $1500.

I know this is a lot I hope to be able to do with a laptop. I really don't know much when it comes to tech. Any advice, suggestions, or help would be much appreciated.

JoeS likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

With your budget there are a lot of options. If you're going to use the system for note taking in class, 3h battery life would be a bit low right? Thankfully most modern systems will give you 5+ hours these days.

I think your most limiting requirement is Wacom EMR. I think all here agree that Wacom EMR is great, but unfortunately Wacom AES and NTrig seem to be most common. So I think you'll have to decide (perhaps after a visit to Best Buy) which pen tech you find good enough.

About form factor, would you like the screen to detach?

This thread might be useful to read:
    Please help me decide Zbook x2 G4 or Spectre x360 15" | TabletPCReview.com - Tablet PC Reviews, Discussion and News

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I’d recommend the Galaxy Book Flex or Surface Pro 7+.

neither hits every mark, but for an all-around-er they would be your best bet. the Flex is really the only current EMR option beyond the Acer Esil series. Since you already own a note phone, you’ll partially feel at home with the pen. The biggest drawback, Ram options are limited to 8GB for the 13 incher, and 12GB for the 15 incher. The elusive 16GB model is only available in international markets and may be trickier to obtain.

As far as the Surface Pro 7+, as much as many on this board hate the n-trig/MPP used in the Surface Pro line, I grew to like it. And specifically with the Slim Pen, I kind of prefer it.

JoeS likes this.
  4. HeavenlyWicked

HeavenlyWicked Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes I would definitely hope for 5 hours lol and good thing most nowadays can handle that.

I used to use an Adonit Pro before I got my Samsung Note but it's been a while since I've used it. That is N-trig? I believe. Never used AES.

For me, the detachment of the screen or lack thereof is not a major deciding factor. Either is fine.

I had looked into the HP Zbook and I found it very appealing. Perhaps I did not search enough for one in my price range. Does it have a dedicated GPU in any of its models?

Would it be ideal for me to go the separate laptop and drawing monitor route instead for my needs? I am unsure.