Subforum for Slate 500?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by jgjackson, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

Should we have a subforum specific for the Slate 500?

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Not sure here at this end of the electron pipe; a WebOS version is on the way and may not be a '500.' Maybe I am just caught up in a naming convention or something.

Dan

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

not now. We have to wait how popular it gets and how many users it has. Then we can discuss this topic again.
    And as dceggert already said, we also have to deal with all the upcoming other OS tablets, so maybe they need a totally different structure.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

My bet is it will be much more popular than we imagine, and will earn a subforum quickly. I ordered mine early on the morning of the announcement, and was quoted an 11/11 ship date. Orders yesterday were quoted 11/18 (mine's still projected 11/11). Don't know how many they intend to ship daily, but the moving date, at least to me, is a good indication of initial sales.

5. jgjackson

I suspect all orders for all products go into the same queue (but I'm too lazy to actually test that by adding other products to my shopping cart. LOL). I ordered mine shortly after you (I woke up late that morning, so I didn't get the news until mid-morning), so my ship date is 11/12. It's going to be a long 3 weeks. :) I wish it was going to arrive on Friday instead of being shipped on Friday, since that means I won't get it till Tuesday the 16th. I may have to take the 17th off as a vacation day. :).

I'm amused by everyone talking about how slow a 1.86GHz processor is (even if it is only one core). It's still the fastest computer I've ever owned. My current tablet is an old 1.06GHz dual core that probably runs at half the speed most of the time to keep from overheating. I'm just hoping sleep mode actually works on this slate. On my old Tablet, I have to use hibernate because they never did fix the bios or drivers that caused it to black screen on wake up about 1/3rd of the time.

6. dstrauss

I've found Win7 to be nearly perfect on sleep mode whether the underpowered Dell Mini 9 netbook, HP2730p, or an old upgraded Vaio. It is definitely "heavier" than iOS, but you can strip out parts you don't use, limit Aero Glass, and economize to the point that it is snappy even on that old Dell so long as it had 2gb ram and an SSD (I've used both 64gb and 128gb SSD in them).

HP - please push them out the door ahead of schedule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. jgjackson

I'm running Win 7 on the Gateway. It is just as bad as XP for sleep. I've tried shutting down almost every driver on the system to see if I could identify the one that is broken. I think it is actually the bios. Oddly the problem only happens if the device has been asleep for at least 10 minutes.

8. dstrauss

This brings up that annoying lack of naming conventions. Tablet, pad, slate, convertible...which one is which? Keys vs no-keys? I know it sounds silly, but the convertible form factor and experience is substantially different from a slate. Maybe tablet vs convertible would suffice, but I think sites like this one should take a stance and try to lead the way for the unsuspecting public. You should see the look of shock and amazement that comes over every person who sees me twist that 2730p screen and start writing on it.:eek:

9. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually the problem with names is steaming from IT journalists who are not aware of the history of slates and tablets.

The term “tablet” historically refers to Wacom pen tablets and the name ”Tablet PC” was born from that as the first Tablet PCs released in 2002 were mostly digital pen based and almost all of them had Wacom digitizers in them which is the case still to this day.

“Slate” really refers to the form factor, not the input technology as tablet does, thus the iPad is a touchscreen SLATE and the HP Slate is a touchscreen TABLET SLATE.

No hard and fast rule but I think it makes a little more sense when you look at the history. So ”slate” refers to the form factor and “tablet” refers to the input technology.

10. dstrauss

According the HP rep I just talked to about my order and the new delays in shipping (and she acknowledged my order was within the first four hours of sales), demand for the Slate 500 is off the charts. Time for an HP slate factor subforum yet?