Stylus problem with the VAIO Duo 11

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by eecarres, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eecarres

eecarres Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a problem with the stylus...
    Since this morning, when the Duo restarted after a windows update, i can't use the stylus properly. It recognizes the stylus but when it is close to the screen, the Duo registers it as a touch (in OneNote, it draws even when the nib is not touching the screen). I'm scared because its new and i don't want to send it to the technical service...Anybody knows how can i solve this?

PD:Sorry for the double post!

2. cbrotherson

cbrotherson Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had something similiar to this problem now after a few days and an update - it doesnt register the pen until I touch the screen with my finger. Not sure if the battery is going already, but it seems more software driven seeing as I've only had it since Monday...

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...it draws even when the nib is not touching the screen...>>

ee: Check to see if the nib of your stylus is seated properly and moving freely. If the stylus was stuck in a depressed position, it might behave in the way that you are describing. If the nib is moving freely, you might also try unscrewing and rescrewing the end cap (battery cap) of the pen. (it's not likely that this is a problem, but those of us who have used N-trig pens in the past have seen pen problems associated with poor electrical contact between the pen body and the cap. Typically, the pen stops inking, which is not the problem that you describe, but no reason not to check this off the diagnostic list...)

If the stylus seems OK, try restoring your Duo 11 to a restore point just before this recent round of updates. If the problems seem to be fixed, then something about the update was probably at fault...

Good luck.

4. Doggie

Doggie Scribbler - Standard Member

The one time I had problems with my stylus registering in unexpected ways that made it unusable was when I was using it near a lamp and was plugged into the same power strip. Ntrig I guess sometimes has that problem--only a solution if you are near or plugged into an electrical source though.

5. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

The old n-trig pens were susceptible to contact corrosion that caused such issues. This can be solved by taking apart your pen, there's a thread within the HP Slate 500 forum that details how to take apart and clean an n-Trig pen.

6. perezbalen

perezbalen Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same problem.

I tried everything. I got new batteries, I did a clean install of windows, and the problem persisted. So I deduced it was a hardware problem with the stylus, so I got my hands on a brand new one, but this keeps happening.

The only thing I can think of is that I installed (before the clean install) the N-trig drivers from their site. i don´t think faulty drivers would have survived a clean install, but the way win 8 works, there was some info left after the install (like the activation) so, who knows.

The funny thing is that since then, the sony drivers have quietly disappeared from the N-Trig site.

Could it be that the N-trig Stylus drivers damage the Sony Vaio Duo 11?

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Could it be that the N-trig Stylus drivers damage the Sony Vaio Duo 11?..>>

...No.

<<...The only thing I can think of is that I installed...the N-trig drivers from their site...>>

If the drivers are no longer on the N-trig site (I couldn't find them, either), then the only alternative that I can think of would be to check the Sony site under Duo 11 support and downloads. Sony ought to have their drivers available there.

If not, you might try going to the Control Panel, Device Manager, and then find the N-trig digitizer and see if you can roll back the driver from there. I don't have a Duo 11 so I can't provide you with more specific directions.

Good luck...

8. perezbalen

perezbalen Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the response. The thing is that the drivers are not on the Sony site either. And the device manager doesn't show any info on the stylus, (none that I could find, even with the show hidden devices flag on).

Here's a video of the problem in action:

Vaio duo 11 stylus problem - YouTube

9. Jorj_X_McKie

Jorj_X_McKie Pen Pal - Newbie

This morning folks are reporting Sony's new Tap 11 'Surface Pro' competitor tablet. It has been mentioned that the stylus is compatible with Photoshop/Illustrator CC. Color me dubious... I just checked Sony's Drivers page and NOTHING for the pen. I've tried calling their tech support and they look at the same page and so far have been clueless. I hope something shakes loose and we get some updates, some info, some friggin' support. As bad as MS is as a corporate black hole, Sony is about as bad as it gets when needing support IMO. Something to consider if you are in the market for one of these nifty ultrabook thingies with a pen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.