Stylus Input in Games?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by BornLoser, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

I am guessing that the tablet/stylus functionalty only work in windows programs.. so in games, the pen is pretty much useless, right?

Is there any way of getting drivers for it to work in games too? would be kind of neat...

2. Anonymouse

Anonymouse A nondescript mouse

What exactly do you mean? The stylus will work just like any pointing device. In a strategy type game that is good, since you can just click on your units, or whatever you have, and it will select them, just like using a mouse. In these types of games (where you click on objects to use them or perform actions on them), then a stylus can perform as well or better than a mouse.

In a first person shooter type game, then things get harder, since they generally link camera point of view (POV) movement to cursor movement, and so if you move your pen to the left, you will look left, move your pen to the right, you will look right, etc., but you will have to turn the sensitivity down A LOT (the games are usually set so that you only need a tiny movement of the mouse to move your POV around). This type of control is generally much more difficult than using a mouse, and any movement not related to the game (such as picking your pen up off of the screen) will cause a lot of havoc (just imagine playing where you keep picking your mouse up off the screen - you probably won't pick it straight up every time, and so your POV will turn to look in whatever direction you accidentally moved). Though if someone were to design a way to center the POV on whatever object you click, then that could be highly useful - imagine just clicking on a guy on the screen and having your character shoot at exactly that spot, but I don't know of anything that currently works like that.

3. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

Any game that uses 1 to 1 mouse movement should work fine. You will have the most trouble with very 3D games because they use relative positioning rather than absolute positioning.

4. mattj

mattj Scribbler - Standard Member

yeh i tried a few rts games n they were great with the stylus. Especially when u wanna quickly drag a whole selection of troops together. much faster than when u use a mouse and instantly precise. no need to find where ur mouse is and move it over to the precise point where the action is. just point n click.

5. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried Homeworld 2 last night (which runs just fine btw) but the stylus is absolute rubbish for playing that game. Even the touchpad did not cut it. A mouse with a middle mouse button is what is needed for that game.

6. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

if you're a simcity fan, I'd recommend Sim City 4 for your tablet. Like most people have said already, the one to one mouse ratio makes the stylus perfect for this game. The lack of good screen sensitivity around the edges of some tablets (or maybe mine is just defective) can make scrolling a bit irritating at times, but other than that it's as good as or better than playing with a mouse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.