Stylus for HP Envy x2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Kumabjorn, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I bought the ASUS Transformer when it came out. The thing I really found lacking with it was that you couldn't use a stylus (except for those rubbery mini dildos) so when I found the Envy x2 with a digitizer, similar to a Galaxy Note 10.1 I just had to get myself one. However, not any of the styli I own seems to work with the Envy. Does it require a specialized stylus? Something only provided by HP? I found an Executive Pen on their website, but I also began to look around and I'm not sure that model will work. What kind of stylus is required for the Envy x2? Is there some site that specializes in selling styli?

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Kumabjorn,
    The digitizer on the Envy X2 is Atmel and the same 'Executive Pen' for the Elitepad and Revolve is supposed to work. However, I qualify that as supposed to.The folks finally getting the pens for the Elitepad are needing to install drivers to make it work and I do not know if the same driver will work on the Envy so some fiddling may need to be done to get the system working as intended.

Let us know if you go this way and what it entails to get it to work on the Envy.

3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I feel bad for the people who bought the X2 or ElitePad counting on the Pen.... HP has been going through this "amateur hour" phase for too long.

4. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

The "pen problems" are what turned me away from the X2.

I wanted to get a Surface, but with an Atom CPU.

However, the lack of such an option moved me towards other options.

- I didn't want a stand-alone tablet. The Surface Pro is an exception, as the kick-stand and the design works well.
    - If there was a (true) keyboard dock, there needed to be a battery built-in
    - It needed to have digitizer-pen support

The Envy was almost perfect for what I needed, until the Atmel issues started popping up.

The fact that it shipped without a digitizer turned me off the moment I read about it.

If the Executive Pen does in fact work, then the X2 would've become an instant buy from me.

However, the lingering questions and issues are what keep me from ordering the device.

5. Kumabjorn

Is this the stylus they are using?
    Atmel® maXStylus
    If so, would that also work on the Envy x2?

6. dceggert

The Atmel MaxStylus was originally what was identified as what was to be used for the X2, Elitepad, and Revolve. However, since the first pen was pulled from the market and only recently reintroduced, it is unclear whether HP changed the pen to something else, changed the driver, or both.

What would be ideal would be to try a MaxStylus out on any of the three before purchasing. I believe there is an Acer, Samsung, or Asus Android tablet that uses the Atmel MaxStylus. I just cannot rememeber which one. If we can figure it out there may be one available on eBay or something. That is how we got a hold of the HTC Flyer pen for the N-trig TabletPC's when the OEM pens went south on us.

7. Kumabjorn

From what research I have conducted it seems the stylus isn't available as a retail product, it seems to come bundled with a slate and then sold under that brand name. Obviously I could have missed something, but if any of those tablets use an Atmel digitizer then perhaps some of those users could enlighten us?

Kirill Basin likes this.
  8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I think it was one of the Moto Xoom variants(I want to say the newer model) that used it, not sure about the Asus though.

9. Kumabjorn

If anyone can point me to a site where I can buy an Atmel MaxStylus (and that ships worldwide) I'd be happy to spend some money on it and report back. However, when Googling I am out of luck (or my Googling skills are sorely lacking).

10. dceggert