Stylistic Q702 Disassembly

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by NXTwoThou, Dec 12, 2012.

1. NXTwoThou

NXTwoThou Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone taken one of these apart? Before we purchased, a tech in chat confirmed all the specs that show that its got the antenna, just not the pci card for WWAN. So we ordered one and ordered a tablet. It all arrived yesterday and I went through and did all the procedures for upgrading to windows 8. Once I noticed that some of the updater programs don't actually update, I uninstalled and then reinstalled the windows 8 versions and took care of all the issues that I'd seen on some of the reviews of it. It works flawlessly with windows 8 and my boss is insanely happy with it. Now its time to get get him on his cell network and at first Fujitsu talked about sending in the tablet for them to install the card, now they refuse to do that and will not provide disassembly instructions. Except for the screen resolution, the Q702 is exactly what my boss wanted(if we could have gotten the ATIV Smart PC Pro, we would have, except it has massive quality issues apparently and it also is in the same boat about needing to have a card installed, only Samsung techs couldn't even confirm it has an antenna in it).

2. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

If you do figure out how to upgrade the tablet with the 3G/4G module, please report back.

I am considering this tablet as it is the best Keyboard doc config so far, but I need the 3G/4G feature and Fujitsu is silent about when and how we can will have the option.

I emailed them asking if the tablet currently sold would be upgradable, but they are not answering my question ...

3. NXTwoThou

I'll update this if they ever get back to us. Really wanted the ATIV Smart PC Pro, but couldn't find it available anywhere except ebay auctions from Korea. That one would be 3G only. While waiting and waiting, finally non cell versions started trickling out in the states and the reviews of how horrible the quality is started coming out and how many units were getting returned. When asking about options, someone suggested the Q702. When I went to the ordering page saw it was windows 7, then read up on -why- it was windows 7(supposed to be released the month before windows 8 came out). Pulled the trigger after the discussion about being able to add the card. Now we are getting the run-around. For all I know, they've fired the original tech for telling us that it could be done and trying to figure out how to respond to us.

4. kneebuster

kneebuster Long time tablet PC user

Disassembly is pretty easy. You pop off the plastic strip on the back (near the top ), remove 2 plugs on the back (near the bottom), and you'll find 4 screws. Take these out and then gently pry the back cover off. Here is a picture of the inside .

2012-12-20 13.19.00.jpg

Mine is the i5, 4GB, 128GB, non-WWAN model with the keyboard dock. I upgraded the SSD to 256GB which I had as the boot drive in my Thinkpad X220T.

Unfortunately I don't see antennas for WWAN. My guess is that the WWAN card goes in the slot near the bottom of the image, just below the word "China" on the battery. This area is covered by the plastic strip on the back side so perhaps there is a version of that piece that has a slot for a SIM card.

Tablets I've owned and used
    Motion Computing M1200
    Motion Computing M1300
    IBM Thinkpad X41T
    Lenovo Thinkpad X60T
    Lenovo Thinkpad X200T
    HP Slate
    Asus EP121Lenovo
    Thinkpad X220T
    Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet (Android)
    Samsung Series 7 Slate (borrowed)
    Fujitsu Q702 with keyboard dock

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
    ATIVQ likes this.
  5. NXTwoThou

Ugh. Again, the tech said it had the antenna, it just needed the card. Certainly don't see anything unless its tucked under, but I highly doubt that. That black box to the right, does that appear to be a spot for a sim?(just needing a cutout on the edge). I also noticed the "main" antenna wire(the black one) splits off right before it runs over the grey, I wonder where the other bit is going, or even why its going over. The picture is a little small, does it appear it splits off under the black tape? Still wouldn't help as there's no aux.

Unfortunately the boss has his machine with him at all times, so I can't experiment with it. We've got two different authorized service centers who say they can do the work and not void the warranty, so we may send it to one of them and let them hash it out. He's just incredibly frustrated now, especially since as off the end of last week, you can actually order it with windows 8 now.

6. NXTwoThou

Oh, and thank you-thank you-thank you for replying and taking the picture!

7. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

8. freeky1

freeky1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, the rounded corners on the top and square corners on the bottom are terrible!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  9. NXTwoThou

It's been on their website since October. The only real thing they did this weekend is say that it is -finally- coming out next month. Didn't really help with my problem at the time(nor does it help now..still can't friggin buy the thing)

10. freeky1

freeky1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you so much kneebuster for the instructions and picture. This made installing my 256gb SSD a snap!