Stylistic Q584 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by tijo, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And, display calibrated successfully, the link to the calibrated profile I got are in the first post and the profile is also attached as a .zip. I make no promises as to the results on your own Q584, but if you want to give the profile a try, it's there. Colorimetry data is also there, 89% sRGB is respectable, I was hoping for more, but oh well. My M6700 is rocking 98% sRGB for comparison, if I had the PremierColor display, I'd be rocking 100% aRGB.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    dellaster likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

This is new territory for me. Just to be sure, after right-click profile install with the file I set it in Color Management to the device profile's system default, correct?

Edit: ignore picture since it's incorrect (can't seem to to delete it from the post).

Attached Files:

3. tijo

This is for vista, but the steps should be largely similar: Color management settings: frequently asked questions, look under how do I choose a color profile to associate with a device.

The Spyder software applied the profile for me, so I didn't really have to do a thing.

EDIT: Also, make sure to reset the intel IGP color profile to the default one before applying the new one.

4. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

I think I got it. It is indeed the same procedure as for Windows 7 in that link. I reset the Intel color profile via the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, too. After all that, it still needed to have the gamma bumped up in the Windows calibration settings. Otherwise I think it looks good. Thanks!

5. tijo

I calibrated at half brightness, adaptive off by the way, since I considered it a middle ground between what I'd get with adaptive at low light and under bright lighting.

6. cliric

cliric Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

I am looking for a while to buy a tablet.
    I like Fujitsu because I can get stuff I didn't find at others, i.e., fingerprint reader, GPS, NFC, 4G.
    Now the question is should I go for Q584 or Q704? I would go with Q584 because is cheaper, quad core, 4gig RAM. However I am concerned about 64G HDD (to get 128G seems so expensive, but I guess I can use a 64 or 128 microsd card) and mostly about the processor performance. I guess it should be OK for regular browsing, for email, Office, pdf, media player. I am aware that something like Matlab would be a killer app.
    But what about using many browsing windows, many pdfs, docs, video playing on external screen, etc opened same time; what about skype video calls, what about visual studio for cpp coding? Did any of you felt the need to have something like Q704 with an i5 rather than an Q584 with atom?

Also, is it technically possible to put windows 64 on q584 (with proper drivers of course)?

Then I am thinking what exactely worth the money and what doesn't? The keyboard, the cradle, the folio? Should I buy these (tempting addons) too or should I better wait/look for aftermarket?

Except the 8% coupon is there anyother saving available at the moment, like cashback or something? Does the visa 1 year warranty extenssion still aplies?

Thanks!

7. tijo

MATLAB wouldn't even kill the Q584 depending on what you're doing with it. It's at least as good as my old Pentium M 1.6 GHz and MATLAB, well the most recent version at that time, wasn't chocking for the most part. If you're expecting to solve complex systems, says a lot of discretized PDEs, then yeah, it'll choke, but that is something else entirely. If all you're gonna do on it is some not too intensive work, say for a numerical analysis class, it should do fine.Right now, I got Windows Journal, Xbox Music, IE (Modern UI version), Skydrive, Mail and Kindle running all at the same thing, everything is still as snappy as ever.

The Folio case is entirely worth it in my opinion, adds spme bulk to the whole package, but makes transporting the tablet easy as well as propping it up at a comfortable angle. It's also meant to work seamlessly with the docking craddle.

8. SJA

SJA Pen Pal - Newbie

Bundle your accessories under the custom build option. Keyboard is $229 vs $299, dock is $79 vs $129, etc.., then apply your 8% coupon code after that.

9. cliric

cliric Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you!

So the plan is to go for the following config:
    - Win 8.1 (I guess I can live without domain, remote desktop and bitlock); anyway I hope I will have the chance to upgrade to Win 8.1 Pro 64 at some point
    - recovery disk
    - GPS
    - NFC
    - 64G (for $200 I can get almost 4 micro sd cards)
    - cradle + power
    - keyboard (no backlight I understood; I hope it is good enough to worth the money; have some doubts; maybe a bluetooth keyboard would do the job instead?)
    - micro SIM, included - any info on which network it works, att, tmobile?
    - folio case
    - 8% coupon; 5% cashback mrrebate; extended warranty 1 more year citi

Can I do better? Did I miss any option or accessory that I should have?

Thanks!

10. tijo

A week and a half in and two minor complaints:

One is the static noise that everyone has been getting. The other is I'm getting some weird behavior with netflix subtitles, there is some flickering of the layer with the subtitles. A reboot fixes that and it's the only weird behaviot I have experienced. The cause is likely the Intel video drivers resuming from sleep and doing something they shouldn't be doing. A driver update should fix that.

@cliric, the keyboard will not work with the folio case, so you'll have to switch between the two depending on your use case. I got the folio case specifically because I wasn't getting the keyboard. A bluetooth keyboard would also do the job, depends on how much you plan to use it on your lap. If your lap is going the primary use case, then definitely get the keyboard for its adjustable angle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.