Stylistic Q584 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by tijo, Mar 14, 2014.

1. shEEEsh

shEEEsh Pen Pal - Newbie

i have the Q572 .. Wanting to buy the Q584. The main reason I haven't already is that I have the removable battery with the Q572. Thing is, I never once used my spare and I like the Wacom much better than the pen on the Q572. Can anyone think of a reason I should NOT make the switch. I have a buyer for my Q572 as soon as I decide.

2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member

I noticed that Fujitsu has a W10 BIOS for the Q584 so I gave the 1511 upgrade a shot on my original 32-bit device. It worked! The fingerprint reader actually hooks into Windows Hello correctly--it reads my print more consistently, too. The Wacom pen was inoperative until I happened to click the "default" button in the Wacom Pen settings (Control Panel). Now everything is peachy.

I tried to install all the 8.1 drivers, in proper order, before the upgrade to be sure I was up to date. One that did update was audio... and now I find that the headphone jack "scratchiness" that plagued us all in the early days is GONE! I hear beautiful sound though my headphones now.

Dang, it's like I suddenly have a new, really nice tablet. I was going to sell it--and I wasn't expecting to get much--but now I think I might sell my newer 8" HP Pro Tablet 608 instead. With my paradigm switch to mobile desktop + phone, which I've found is all I consistently *use*, a 10" or 8" tablet is pretty much just a backup (which I must have--the recent sudden death of my SP4 reminded me of that). So I may as well sell the one that will get me more $$.

Bronsky and Tams like this.
  3. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

You're making me want one again now!

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  5. AnnAAyms

AnnAAyms Pen Pal - Newbie

That was me but actually one other with keyboard sold for a little less and one without keyboard sold for just $162.50 (+shipping and possible tax depending on the buyer's location). As of this typing there is one still up for auction without the keyboard with about 9 hours left to go.These are just the 64GB memory models though. As far as the 4GB or ram but 32bit OS I plan to use a ram disc program to turn that 1GB unused to a small 1GB temp drive.

The Q584 has the highest resolution screen on a Windows OSed machine with an EMR Wacom as far as I know and with the move to AES and other battery based pens I wanted to have this model while I still could find one in atleast refurbished condition. I've gotten pretty invested in the EMR pen tech over the years and this might be the last with a screen like this that supports it.

The news on the Microsoft Pen Program makes me wonder though if I'm concerned for nothing:
    http://liliputing.com/2016/05/microsoft-pen-program-standardize-pen-design-windows-10-devices.html
    The planned "next gen" Wacom sounds/reads like they'll be releasing an equivalent to the Cintiq/Intuos for lower cost machines.

Bronsky likes this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Congratulations. That was an incredible price for a great tablet. I love the EMR pen in my Galaxy Note 5.

7. AnnAAyms

There is another one up for auction from Fujitsu which ends on Friday (May 20th) morning (06:04 AM PDT), this one with keyboard. I'm pretty sure if you bid $200 you'd win it. (If under 131 then I've a spare.) There doesn't actually seem to be much interest out there for this model. The last ones without keyboard went for under $150. The only reason mine went as high as it did was a sniper bid pushed it by under a dollar of my max bid during the very last few seconds. Researching I realized that same bidder was also reselling other Fujitsus (and accessories separately at an outrageous markup) he was buying from them which is against the Fujitsu's Ebay store terms so I reported him and think he has been banned (from bidding at Fujitsu's store, not from Ebay).

As far as mine and as a caveat to any that do bid I had the bad initial configuration/install/rebooting problems ron2k_1 had but thanks to his earlier posts I learned how to reinstall the OS from the backup partition. The battery had also completely drained and on first boot I had a bios/uefi error and needed to reset the clock too. It was a bare reinstall and windows update also didn't work well for getting the needed drivers so you might want to preemptively download the drivers from Fujitsu's support page and also download the archived drivers because the latest Audio and Fujitsu System Manager drivers didn't load right but the old ones did. Also and the biggest problem mine didn't come with the Wacom pen. I contacted Fujitsu and they've mailed one but I won't have that until Thursday. I'm a bit nervous/suspicious/paranoid they will send me the wrong pen. The keyboard is also missing one of the rubber pads/feet but I salvaged a spare from a junker laptop that fits close enough. The light bleed issue on one side others reported I've noticed but I don't think it is significant. I also hear the hiss through head phones problem that is widely known here but I remember reading that it is fixed with a Windows 10 upgrade. I don't plan to upgrade to Windows 10 for reasons not worth listing but I also don't expect to use headphones often and for when I do the hiss is within my tolerances of how I suspect to use it.

Everything I can test now seems to work most of the time except the brightness controls on the keyboard ("Fn"+F6/F7) although I can change the brightness through all the other ways so no big deal but I'm curious if others have/had that issue?

So no honeymoon period with this machine but I do love the high screen resolution and the issue of it getting really hot I only encountered when the OS first reinstalled (and even then it wasn't extreme) but after I loaded and configured everything it has been behaving relatively well except sometime the rotation sensor has stopped working but on reboot it was back and during those times I saw a yellow triangle for the microSD card under the device manager too but the card itself was still accessible. I'll have to spend some more time to know if that is a real issue or just teething/initial config hiccups.

Last I think the gap in the back panel is not a manufacturing issue but because the back panel has or had optional configurations. I remember seeing a Youtube video where there was one with a handle and one with a smartcard reader so if the panel is swappable then the water proofing might be behind that bit. I haven't and am not going to dunk mine in water or trying prying the back off to find out though. If I'd a second I might try removing the back of that one. The handle version of the optional back panel by the way makes sense as I've found the back surface to be too smooth to grip well and so for horizontal usage it is easier to use it docked with the keyboard as one handed at least for me gets difficult and uncomfortable but I find it easy to hold one handed vertically which fits how I'd use it when in tablet mode anyway so again not a deal breaker but something to be aware of.

Edit: I've realized the light bleed is always there just that either the wallpaper or my software's interfaces was colored in a way that kept it pretty hidden, which points to how minor atleast to me it is.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  8. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member

It's hard to say what exactly cured my headphone jack hiss/crackle. I updated all the Win8.1 drivers--a lot of them since I hadn't done so for a year. Audio was among them. Then upgraded to Win10 normally to get the free registration, clean installed, and did the Fujitsu Win10 driver/Bios updates. Only after I had the upgrade process fully done did I try the headphone jack and discover pure, clean sound. Too many changes to narrow it down but at the time I assumed it was the audio driver update. YMMV.

9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm in Japan, so no cheap one for me (they don'y sell the high resolution one any more here anyway). :(

I did try one of the newer ones, and while the tablet part was fine; damn is the keyboard chunky, especially the hinge. It does feel well made mind, just maybe not for me.

10. AnnAAyms

The tablet doesn't fit snugly into the keyboard, that is how it is designed to fit but I suspect it will/would bother most. There are metal hooks that hold it in place and a button to unlock it. My biggest issue is the buttonless trackpad or the whole pad click as it were. More a personal preference and I know it is now the norm for trackpads. Build wise it is pretty heavy in comparison to the tablet itself especially that it is just a keyboard, no battery or extra ports. When I've lifted it one handed by the edge/side of the keyboard while the screen was up I felt a little nervous though that the tablet's weight would cause it to bend/break the keyboard. It didn't but I want to avoid holding it that way in the future. That the back of the keyboards base slides out to support the weight of the tablet I find a neat design though. I haven't done any serious typing with it so can't speak on that and seeing that keyboard preference is very subjective I'm not sure how I'd review that.

I received the pen that was suppose to have come with it in the first place. They sent the right pen but I've found that when using it for drawing the pressure curve is inconsistent depending on where it is drawn on the screen. as in the center requires more pressure to draw a thick line than the edges of the screen do. I don't think for note taking this would matter but for raster/pixel painting it is an issue. I also did some drawing with a t4410's pen and found the issue much less pronounced to the point of nearly being undetectable (maybe even nonexistent) though. Also the default Wacom driver from Fujitsu's site I found to be useless for proper calibration and so am using a slightly dated driver from Wacom's support site. The calibration after a 25 point adjustment is pretty/very good except for 1 edge for about 1 to under 2 centimeters but almost every EMR I've used seems to have one bad edge.

I'm unsure yet how I feel about the or maybe just this Q584. It has been a real mixed bag of an experience so far but I think for how I want to use it it will be useful.