Stylistic Q584 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by tijo, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Groundhog

Groundhog Pen Pal - Newbie

2. Groundhog

It turned out Fujitsu mofified the UEFI-Bios so that only sticks and DVDs with a 32-bit EFI-installroutine are recognized and show up in the boot menu.

Only hope is, it seeams, to install the BIOS of the Black Edition. I bet that won't work and fear to brick my device. It is new and I can't afford to just buy another in worst case.
    Gave up.

3. Groundhog

It turned out now that my Q584 doesn't boot from external or DVD USB-Stick at all. Even with Fujitsu Recovery 32-bit DVD.

Malfunction or normal behaviour for a Q584? Do your Q584s boot from DVD?

Thx and greetings,

Michael

4. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I've downloaded a 32 bit image of 8.1 to a flash drive which I keep stashed away as I've reset this tablet a good handful of times.

Haven't tried an external DVD yet

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

5. Groundhog

I figured out that at least the Fujitsu 32-Bit ecovery-DVD works for booting via DVD.
    Seems I didn't give the system enough time to recognize the disk.

But it is'nt accessed during a total reset of the system, seems all nessessary data is stored in the 15 GB recovery partiton.

Will it work to use the recovery dvd for a clean install and delete the 15 GB recovery partition for an extra 15 GB storage capacity? Or it is used for recorvery purposes even if I have a bootable DVD?

I am aware it is a good idea to have the drivers downloded before as a clean install does not contain any device-specific ones.

Thx and greetings , Michael

6. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't suppose anyone's been courageous and/or foolish enough to attempt a Windows 10 upgrade on one of these? If so, I'd love to hear how it went.

hiramkey likes this.
  7. Groundhog

I did it (Q584 Black Edition x64). With the media creation tool Microsoft provides.
    That went well, no yellow in device manager afterwards.

I consider a rollback, because the battery is drained much faster and there are no more usefull apps in the appstore than before (which i hoped for). And the irc-client-app I bought under Win8.1 doesn't run any more.

On the side, I now sync contacts and calendar with my desktop-outlook 2010 via Akruto Sync in local wifi, which works well. Can't tell whether it would have worked with Win8.1 also, didn't try.

dellaster likes this.
  8. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks, Groundhog. I wonder if my 32 bit earlier version would fare as well. Because it's my one-and-only computer (has been for a year and a half) I don't feel comfortable taking that risk unless others with the same model have a good upgrade experience.

It might be time to consider a new computer of some sort, one with Windows 10 from the get-go. No hurry, but I guess I'll start my research.

9. Groundhog

Folks, beware of a clean install, unless you have provided yourself with some drivers beforehand. And that drivers have to be on a Stick, not on the SD-card, Win10 installes from USB/DVD does not contain drivers for the cardreader nor wifi.

So, finally finished.
    You need:
    An adaptor USB-Micro-USB (OTG worked, don't know, if necessary)
    An USB-stick, booable, with Win10 (created with MS Media reation Tool) and the Win8.1-driver for wifi on it
    A mouse/trackball
    a keyboard

You'll find it handy to have the micro-sd prepared with all Win8.1-drivers, unpacked and each in its own directory.

Be shure to have upgraded your Q584 to Win10 before this clean install, otherwise Win10 won't activate!

Connect the mouse to the micro-USB. Boot your System from USB and install Windows 10. You probably won't need the recovery partition to recover Win8.1 any more, so you may delete all partitions during installation an let Win10 install itself on the plain disk (it creates three partitions again but leaves 115 GB for C: instead of 98 GB before).
    You'll find a magnifying-glass usefull during installation.
    Important: Don't enter any product-key, you will be asked for it thrice. When asked to create a user, go on without, you don't have a keyboard attached at the time. At least i had not, maybe you can replace the USB-stick with the keyboard earlier.
    When installation is finished, there is no digitizer, no touch, no on-screen-keyboard, no wifi and only basic display driver.
    So boot up with mouse and keyboard attached, after boot, disconnect keyboard and replace it with the USB-stick where the wifi-driver for Win8.1 is located. Open explorer and navigate to the wifi-driver using only the mouse. Install the driver, reboot and afterwards connect to your wifi. Win10 will install some updates, afterwards (after reboot) you may install the lacking drivers from SD-card (it is recognized then), having both mouse and keyboard attached.

At last all 17 "unknown devices" in device manager are gone. I installed drivers with a setup.exe, rebootet and installed the remaining drivers via device manager, having all driver-directories under one directory for easier installation. You don't have to figure out each device, just let the installation routine search your drivers-directory with subdirectories.

Finally, all is well, Windows 10 is activated, all devices work properly (so it seems, just finished the installation).

HTH someone or the other.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  10. Groundhog

I have to add, after clean install the camera app crashes every time I press the camera button.