Stylistic Q584 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by tijo, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

I think I may see a thin white line where you say, but I don't have a magnifying glass to make sure.

It's sometimes hard to tell how much processor bump I got, when browsing the web, because my 4G LTE connection has a lot of latency and my mifi goes dormant between pages and needs to get woken up (annoying!). Aside from that, it's easy to see the speed increase. For most common tasks it may as well be my SP2.

I was checking for driver updates and saw that they have a Bios 1.17 that's supposedly updated, not on the original Q584. But when I checked I found that mine has 1.18, so there's nothing that needs updating.

If you or anyone does a real color profiling I'd love to beg a copy of the file. I, too, tweaked it a little towards the blue-white. However, it looks like a different white depending on ambient lighting. There's no substitute for an objective, instrument-based color profile. :)

2. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Unfortunately, I don't have a color calibrator, so I don't have a calibrated profile. That said, if someone does one, I'm interested in it too. I may also invest in a calibrator. Given how many displays I have, the differences between each are getting to be noticeable. If I do end up buying calibration gear, I'll upload the profile on TPCR.

I have BIOS 1.17 on mine I think, aside from that, if you want to access the bios, hold volume down when you boot it up. Hold the function button to get to the boot manager. Thought I'd share that as when I did what everyone should do (RTFM) that little tidbit wasn't exactly clear. It said to hold the rotation lock button...

3. sven.hassel

sven.hassel Pen Pal - Newbie

I cannot see the photos :(

4. dellaster

Too busy! I'll see if I can snap some shots later today, if I don't spend all day going through the DMV (auto license and registration). :p

Surface Pro 2 sold. I am now officially a "One Device to Rule it All" person, though there's also the Nokia Lumia smartphone. I suppose someday when there are Windows variant of the ASUS PadPhone concept I may be able to truly have just one device.

21 GB free after everything I need is on the main drive. I guess that's fine even though I would love to recover the 16 GB in the recover partition (I have the restore disks, so don't need it). Plenty of room to install transient games and such. I'll live and be happy with it as it is. :)

Absolutely zero issues, rock solid. It feels and operates like a red fruit kind of product. I'm impressed... and a little scared that I'm jinxing myself by writing that nothing has gone wrong. ;)

5. dellaster

A quick snapshot using my Nokia and flash, since it's still dark here:

WP_20140317_05_35_31_Pro.jpg

My "desktop". The Q584 fits nicely in the gooseneck tablet holder (remember, a 10.6" tablet held this way at 1.4' is the same view angle as a 30" monitor on the desk at 4.1'). I have found that I no longer use the laptop configuration, ever. The keyboard attachments for both my TPT2 and former Surface Pro 2 went totally unused, except for testing. As for hybrids, the Yoga 13 before those went unused except when on my desk (too heavy for tablet mode, for me). I either use a tablet as a tablet or it's a desktop replacement as shown here. No in-between mode for me.

My situation is not common so I'm not advocating anything. ;)

Bronsky and Mesosphere like this.
  6. SJA

SJA Pen Pal - Newbie

Just ordered my unit. Should arrive late next week. I heard gossip that the display is the same as that found in the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. Any truth to this to your knowledge? Thanks.

7. dellaster

No clue as to the truth of that rumor, but it wouldn't surprise me. Good luck on your Q584! I hope you get a good one. (Actually, I hope Fujitsu has worked the bugs out of the product/production and luck isn't necessary anymore.)

I found a third party program that successfully merged that 16 GB recovery partition into the C: partition. Now I have 37 GB free, with all my essentials already installed. I may try Dragon NaturallySpeaking again since I now have the spare room (it's pretty big).

Weird thing: I was curious about DVD rip times so I started doing the movie "The Dark Knight" again on my Q584 since that was the most recent rip I did on my former SP2 (8/256) and I remember the time: 56 minutes. To my surprise it's only 31 minutes on the Fujitsu, same disk same ripping software...

I can only surmise that it's because the Bay Trail has four physical cores to the SP2's 2 physical, 2 virtual. I don't know how the software was utilizing the SP2 (didn't check Resource Monitor), but on the Q584 it maxes all four cores. This must be one of those perfect scenarios for Bay Trail, using the quick four cores but not needing the better graphics, memory, etc. Or such is my guess. :shrug:

Anyway, it seems I didn't give up DVD ripping speed at all when switching from SP2 to Q584. Quite the contrary! :D

8. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Not quite possible. i5 4200U is significantly faster no matter if all cores are used or only one. Baytrail is not "quick" compared to Haswell in any way.

It's 1,5 vs. 2,4 in Cinebench R11.5 mutlicore (Bay Trail scores same as Core 2 Duo P8800 which is only a dual core without HT) and 0,4 vs. 1,1 single core (z7370 vs.i5 4200U).
    Even if it had 8 cores it would still be slower :p

(for reference: i3 3220 desktop CPU has single 1,38 and mutli 3,31).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  9. dellaster

I stand corrected. On retest I noticed that my rip was set to .m4v and I recall I used the H.264 .mp4 "for windows tablets" setting on the SP2. I wouldn't have thought there would be a difference, but there is. It's about 1:50, twice as slow as the SP2, using the same settings. Which is what I was originally expecting. Hmm, now I have to try that .m4v setting again to see if the result is acceptable...

10. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, for an atom, it's still a pretty decent score. That said, I would personally rip on my M6700 rocking that i7-3720qm at 3.4 GHz (full sustained turbo). For anyone wondering, that is about as fast as a desktop i7-2600.

I am awaiting delivery of a Datacolor Spyder 4 Pro sometime next week hopefully. Once I receive it and set it up, I will do a full calibration on my Q584 as well as pull the colorimetry data on the display and post it back here. I'll probably run a thermal check at some point as well, but I haven't seen the CPU hit even near 80C on my Q584 yet and that is much better than what my TPT2 would give me. I will have to check whether it can sustain full turbo or not.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    dellaster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.