Stylistic Q584 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by tijo, Mar 14, 2014.

1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

LOL...I just about have it set up now for daily use. It has been rather busy over Christmas with people wanting my attention ;)

I do have some early impressions to share though...

First, some good stuff... it is nice to have the USB and other connections right on the device as opposed to needing a sleeve like the Elitepad does. The device is thin and light and easy to handle. The Wacom digitizer seems better than the one on my Helix. Of course there is no need to be concerned for battery degradation or corrosion in the pen and it uses the same Wacom Penabled pens as the Helix, T731, or even the old TC1100. The keyboard seems nicer than the Productivity Sleeve for the Elitepad as well. Fujitsu's usually have good keyboards.

Now for the rest of the story... the screen is definitely not as crisp or as bright as the Elitepad screen. There may be some tweaks needed to make it better. The performance seems to be a little off compared to the Z3795 in the Elitepad 1000 as the myriad of updates seemed to take longer than anything in recent memory and reboots seem to take longer as well. Loading Office seemed to take a long while as well. It isn't the x32 Win 8.1 OS because my Dell Venue 8 Pro seems 'snappier.' It seems workable, however for notes, Office work, and PDF markups are acceptable.

I find myself liking the Elitepad and its ecosystem of accessories better. Although the Expansion Sleeve makes it heavier, the extra battery doubles the runtime. Even though the keyboard is better on the Q584 that is an accessory I rarely use. As far as inking goes the Q584 will certainly be more consistent over time but the Elitepad 1000 G2 pen works very well when the pen works correctly.

My wish now for an Elitepad 1100 is:
    - Core M CPU
    - a better pen that doesn't suffer from contact corrosion over time
    - 128 GB SSD version that doesn't cost $1000 for the base tablet!

Mesosphere likes this.
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Some of Fujitsu's utilities are pretty bad. That might have something to do with it. Also, maybe the 2x more pixels it's pushing is playing a role?

3. pithanks

pithanks Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello guys,

Happy new year!

My Q584's display has a problem. It looks like a backlight bleeding on right edge.

Please find some pictures linked here.

http://1drv.ms/14lq2o5

I'd like to know if your q584 is OK on this. I'm going to call fujitsu support next monday.

Regards,
    wais

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  4. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

5. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It is, some amount of bleed is to be expected, but nothing like that. It should be mostly uniform and not noticeable unless you have a very dark background in low light conditions.

6. puckcowboy

puckcowboy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey everyone! very interested in the Q584, but the only thing holding me back is the lack of direct HDMI out. I've read you can use a Micro-USB to HDMI MHL video adapter, but haven't noticed anyone post anything about how well that option works.

Anyone have any experience with using that type of adapter for HDMI out? Is video degraded, choppy or out of sync?

Any and all info is truly appreciated!

Thank you all in advance :)

7. ron2k_1

Hi

Sorry for the double post. I prayed this in the Q584 ebay thread:
    Anybody knows how to re-image these machines? I don't want to send it back if I don't have too.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

8. ron2k_1

Ok. Me being the Ron that I am, fiddled in the BIOS settings to see if there was a Recovery/Factory Reset option in there. And there is!
    (Note: if you want to get into BIOS and you have no KB, just press and hold the orientation lock button and press power button. Release power once the machine comes on)

So, now I reformatted C and Recovery partition. I'm able to get in, but I have the following issues. This is a lot of hassle I'm not sure was worth the money...
    1. Audio is disabled. No matter what I do, I can't get that little "x" off the speaker icon in the status bar tray. No sound, no volume options.

2. The machine does not wake from Sleep. I get haptic feedback when pressing the power/Windows button but nothing happens. Screen stays black. The only remedy is to long press power button for a quick reset and reboot the machine. It does it all the time. I'm never able to get it out of sleep...

3. No Bluetooth options. The listing I bought it from said it had a BT. But there is no indication from Device Manager or software wise of any BT hardware in the machine.

4. This machine should dust proof, but I see openings all around the back of the tablet on the front all around the edge of screen. I can actually fit a business card in there. Is this normal?

5. It's slow and hot! I wasn't expecting SSD speeds out of the eMMC and a bit of heat. But this is ridiculous! It gets hot to the touch. Enough to disturb your reading, note taking, movie watching etc... Installing software, drivers and updates is an eternity.

I'm outside my return period, so I guess I'm stuck with it. What a hassle of a little machine!!! It's my first Refurb Fuji, and so far I'm not impressed.

Any suggestions to my issues (besides selling it!!!)

Ron

AnnAAyms likes this.
  9. terry mc

terry mc Scribbler - Standard Member

Ron,
    It sounds like you have a start.
    These sound an awful lot like driver issues.
    My Wife's first TPT2 had similar issues at one time.
    I had some drivers that were corrupted drivers and correcting them helped get it back on track, ultimately hers had hardware problems that lead to its demise.

The restoration on the partition may not include the proper drivers. Have you reinstalled the drivers from Fuji?
    It is a shame about the time that has lapsed during your shipping and customs period.

I would still consider calling Fuji, I have had good luck with them in the past. Maybe just maybe they allow you to ship it back since you just received it.
    I have had them send me a new hard drive before with the operating system on it just to fix a problem.

ron2k_1 likes this.
  10. ron2k_1

@terry mc

Thanks for the tips. I ran the Fujitsu Software thingy that's on the Desktop. It only updated the Display and WLAN driver. Nothing else. I don't see a driver causing issues like Power button and Windows button not working at all.

It's going back for repairs. For my case it's usually a 3-month turnaround.

I'm finding a lot more issues. The Fuji people didn't want to hear them. When I started to list them, she was like, "Sir, I already noted 6 items on the report. I think this is enough otherwise we'll be here all night listing them down. We'll check it thoroughly when it gets here". WTF!

I heard their warranty CSRs were bad but WTF!

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk