Stylistic Q584 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by tijo, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi gmich,

Along with several other devices which in one way or another are similar to this device, I own a couple of Q584s. I support entities that work primarily outdoors and thus the outdoor screen performance factors high, along with carry weight and other related ergonomic features. The ruggedness of the Q584 appears to be superior to the other similar devices but in your case, I believe it may be overkill. Additionally, availability for the Q584 is rather limited - you can order one built, but it takes (seemingly) forever. In short, you might take a look at the excellent HP P610 or, if you need a plethora of factory accessories, the HP ElitePad 1000.

The Q584 has a higher native screen resolution than either HP (2560x1600 vs. 1920 x 1200), but for your purposes the higher resolution is next to meaningless. All other factors being equal, the higher the resolution, the lower the output (brightness) of the screen. The Q584s seem a little "washed out" compared to the HP models, which simple appear "punchier" and may be a factor for your primary working environment.

As others here will point out, all these tablets have various ways to connect to external displays (e.g. a projector in your case) which involve adapters/dongles. Thus, the situation is pretty much the same - get the device that works the best for you as a Tablet and use a dongle. In our case, when demonstrating software to our users or employees in an indoor setting, we pretty much just always get the factory desk dock accessory which has various USB, video and other "ports." We use a glorified Home Theater projector in our conference rooms, but while travelling we use some older tiny projectors which only have VGA input. Neither the Q584 nor either HP has any difficulty connecting up via the factory dongles. Display output via the projector is virtually indistinguishable between these devices, but we find that we just like the HP devices better. My theory is that there is less "scaling" necessary when going from the HPs to the lower resolution projectors and the overall "feel" is just a little smoother. The "audience" won't notice, but the "presenter" does (or maybe its just our imagination, LOL.) There are fewer accessories for the P610 than the EP1000, so if a desk dock, covers/cases, etc. are important to your intended use, that might be a reason to pay the premium for the EP1000 over the P610. Additionally, the P610 weighs a little more, so there's that...

As I read back through this, it occurs to me that perhaps it reads more like an HP fan trying to sway you away from the Q584 and toward his favorite brand. That is not my intent, however - I am simply recommending you check out your options before plunking down your money. As a user of all these devices myself, as well as a paid consultant for mobility solutions, it is my opinion that the EP1000 is a better overall solution for you than the Q584 and I believe you should at least check it out. I believe that the availability of covers/cases may be an important factor in your daily intended use and while Fujitsu has some accessories available, the choices are fewer, the cost is higher and actual "get it in my hands while I need it" factors are lower via Fujitsu. Don't get me wrong, the Q584 is a capable performer - we have lots of customers using them today - I just think that the EP1000 might be a better fit for YOU.

FWIW, here are a few links to another thread here with some germane pictures.
    This one shows some outdoor "torture" shots starting with Post #385: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hewlett-packard/61272-new-propad-600-elitepad-1000-a-39.html
    You can continue to scroll down to peruse more pictures or jump a couple of pages to see some of the EP1000 accessories. http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hewlett-packard/61272-new-propad-600-elitepad-1000-a-41.html

I have more shots of the Q584 accessories and I am happy to post them if you'd like. One Q584 is away on a field trip and my personal unit is back at Fujitsu for diagnosis/repair, so I can't shoot any new pictures ATM, but I am happy to share any existing photos I have.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-

/end/

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. gmich

gmich Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your detailed response, Randall (and you too, itconeva). Randall, your analysis makes sense for my uses and I'll check out the two HP units. Also considering the Thinkpad 10, if it ever comes out. The main thing I'll use it for is the pen/digitizer (teaching, annotating, marking papers), so I definitely need a tablet that has a solid pen/digitizer experience.

3. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

You may not like the HP options if you would prefer to always have convenient stylus available.

4. Randall Garrett

Glad to help, gmich! Sorry my posts are so verbose - I never mastered the art of being concise... :-(

The ThinkPad 10 is definitely a contender IMHO, but I always hesitate to recommend something that I've not been able to purchase as an actual, shipping retail model. I get review units and a few (mainly industrial ruggedized) engineering sample (a.k.a. late run prototype) devices throughout the years, but actual retail availability is a real world issue for purchasers...

It now occurs to me that given your profession as an educator, perhaps getting your device "right now " is understandably more desire than necessity (?). Hence, you might take a look at a Surface Pro 3. The $799 (less education discounts!) Core i3 version is to be available in August and would compare favorably with the Bay Trail tablets for your purposes. The increased screen size and 3:2 (15:10) aspect ratio may be a plus for you, though the 1.76 lb. weight affects some mobility aspects if you envision toting it around for really lengthy stretches. It has the benefit of being a capable "laptop" replacement, too. These forums will point out various flaws/glitches in current shipping models, but every device forum us full of those type comments ;-). Our experiences with the 10 Core i5 devices I purchased for my R&D staff gas been mostly positive. It is nit my top choice for the majority of my end users as it us designed primarily as an indoor machine, but for you, I think you should put it on your short list.

To be sure, I am anxiously awaiting our ThinkPad 10s. FWIW, we consider it (almost) imperative to use devices with 4GB of RAM (legacy software issue) so if this also concerns you, make sure you limit your model choices to those sky/ models vs. 2GB models.

The Wacom digitizer/open system is favored by most "artist/illustrator" types here - that us understood and appreciated. W have long favored them as well since many earlier N-Trig revisions were really flaky 5being kind there, LOL.). However, the later revisions (say, in he last year) have steadily improved and for your stated purposes (technically not too dissimilar to our own), the N-Trig and newest Atmel solutions perform quite well. Some will favor more pressure sensitivity (1024+ vs. 256) but Wacom has its calibration and "edge" issues to contend with, and really - for annotation type inking, the Systems used by HP and MS and are just fine - arguably better for your purposes. Just stay away from the Dell Venue 11 Pro. Dell has improved their pen lately but too many users still report too many issues for me to recommend them (I own 5 of them.)

Finally, we always recommend a factory-sponsored accidental damage policy. They run approximately $79 - $129 and are worth every penny. Your work environment is not as prone to hard falls, but the rate of accidents per your proximity to students may be higher than most individuals, so this is a no-brainer for you IMHO. We like to shop at MIcrosoft Stores so w Dan get their "Signature" service and "Complete Care" - clean (de-bloated) machines simply run better and their accidental drama gage policy has proven to be hassle-free (yep, used it on a day one drop of a Surface Pro 3!). MS carries the Surface, Lenovo and HP... Our local shop also handles unadvertised device models for the rugged crowd but YMMV on that. The factory accidental drop policies are superior to the 3rd party types you might get through (say) Best Buy, NewEgg, etc. in our experience. Just get it! ;-)

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-

/end/

5. gmich

gmich Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks again, Randall. Your advice is really helpful and your points well taken. I had already started looking at and considering the SP3, and have even gone to try out the inking on one at Best Buy. Very impressive. I know there are a number of issues right now, but as you say, those typically work themselves out. I would definitely consider an i3 version once it becomes available. Also, I checked out the EP1000 and the ProPad 610. Both look nice, but there's not a lot about either one online (reviews, extensive hands-on). The ProPad 610 seems fine for my needs, but they downplay the digitizer and I don't even think a pen comes with it. Have you used it for digital inking? How does it perform? How is the palm rejection?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  6. jo1to6

jo1to6 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    I'm thinking about getting one of these. But have a few questions...

First, can I use a power bank with this device? That is, can i plug my power bank into a micro USB port and charge the device or do i need some kind of adapter to use with the standard power input?

Secondly, it looks like there are some quality issues based on what I've read in this forum... anyone know this is still an issue?

Thanks!
    Joe

7. jsauce

jsauce Pen Pal - Newbie

Which specific slimport vga adaptor worked for you? From what I can tell the Nexus 7 works with slimport-HDMI but not slimport-VGA.

Anyone else successful getting VGA output?

8. jsauce

jsauce Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my Q584 for about a month now. I benefited a lot from the above discussions, thank you all! Overall quite like this tablet. Since there still doesn't seem to be a ton of info out on this tablet I thought I'd briefly share my experiences so far.

Things that are great:
    - screen resolution, speed, battery life, build quality, wacom stylus, onenote

Minor annoyances:
    - originally had some driver issues with the wacom in onenote, fixed by updating drivers
    - getting that static interference noise on the headphone jack described by others. Not too noticeable but can be annoying.
    - wifi loses connections occasionally, requires running the network troubleshooter or possibly a reboot
    - has some difficulty connecting to my apple bluetooth keyboard but gets it eventually

Based on the suggestion from Aleksey Zimin on amazon, I picked up the Kensington Folio Expert Universal Tablet Cover Stand Black Android (K39591WW), has been good.

As I mentioned in an above post, I have been looking for a way to get VGA output without buying the expensive fujitsu adapter.

Thanks!

9. Randall Garrett

FWIW, I had to send one of my Q584s back to Fujitsu - the keyboard dock refused to be recognized... After it being there for an inordinately long time IMHO (good thing it isn't a production device for me!) they let me know that it had a bad mobo and the delay was due to the fact that they were unable to replace it - no supply of 64 GB eMMC motherboards. Turns out, they were able to get approval to give me one with 128 GB :) so I guess the wait will be worth it. Of course, on this machine, which was purchased strictly for testing, I don't need 128 GB, but hey - I'll take it. Didn't have any success in getting them to include 4G, which I would have gladly paid for :-( The device is reportedly en route, and I'll report back once it arrives if there are any issues.

-Randall Garrett-

/end/

10. ticoneva

ticoneva Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.