Styli test and Asus Vivo Tab Note 8, empirical but subjective

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Kumabjorn, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I use the S10 eraser pen and the Surface Pro pen. I prefer the S10 because of its size and the choice of interchangeable tips. It is a perfect pen for my M80TA. The only problem is that I keep loosing them.

People seem to like the Fujitsu 2 button eraser pen but I don't really have a need for a 2 button ATM.

2. trenzterra

trenzterra Pen Pal - Newbie

May I know what brand is the S10 eraser pen? Because I can't seem to find it anywhere...

Just to clarify, these pens that you recommend, do they work well near the edges (e.g. no offset etc)? Because with the Wacom pen it works perfectly in the middle but near the edges there's a noticeable cursor offset especially when I slant my pen at a different angle. It's hard to tolerate when the offset begins 3cm from the edge and well into the writing area....

Thanks!

3. Bronsky

trenzterra likes this.
  4. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

I hate my Axiotron Modbook pen (fat one) because it rattles excessively (and is fat), the only reason I use it is because it has two buttons on the side (and the eraser that I almost never use). Can't wait for the Fujitsu 2-button wonder to get here. Other than that all my other pens are pretty similar, I like the Motion Computing LE 200 (I have two, one survived a full wash cycle) but it only has one side switch which is hard to press. I also like the Lenovo stylus with the red button on the top, surprisingly... no idea if it's different to the grey-buttoned ones. I think I'll probably end up getting the UP 818e as it looks like the closest thing to the classic Wacom pens.

5. trenzterra

Thanks! Unfortunately shipping costs more than the price of the stylus where I live :(

Can I confirm that there's little offset towards the top (near the camera)? I don't want to buy it and have the money go to waste again...

I would've made do with my Fujitsu stylus but the tip feels kinda worn. Unfortunately I had no foresight and threw out the extra tips some two weeks before I decided to purchase the AVTN8. Sigh.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  6. trenzterra

By the way, did you purchase the stylus from either of the eBay links you provided? I just want to make sure they're authentic before I purchase... THanks! :)

7. Bronsky

I've purchased the bulk packaging ($9.99) pen from Moonlight express with no issues. I'm about to order another.

8. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

I just got the Fujitsu up 815e. It works really well, the side buttons are fairly high compared to most pens but I quite like the positioning. haven't had any false clicks or problems reaching them. the pen is VERY light, lighter than all my other pens aside from the tiny stock ones included (that includes all the other pencil sized pens like the Lenovo and old Fujitsu). it's also very very slippery to the touch so I'll probably have to get a rubber pencil holder or something. other than that I'm happy enough to make this my main pen for now.
    goodbye stupid fat axiotron pen!

incidentally the first thing I do is replace the pen nib with a Wacom felt nib, as it gives a nicer and more grippy feel on my screen protector. they wear down faster though.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  9. trenzterra

My S Pen with eraser arrived today... I bought the one with the original packaging but somehow or another the packaging was partially open and some of the spare nibs probably dropped out while in transit.

And disappointingly, it performs just as bad as the Bamboo stylus near the top left (where you would handwrite a title on OneNote). Amazingly so far I've only been able to get the stock stylus and my 10-year-old Fujitsu pen to work properly on the top left corner. It's strange how people say dinky and large, old traditional styluses perform comparatively poorly on this device, but so far it performs the best for me!

By the way, Bronsky, do you have any extra tips that you could by any chance ship to me (since you mentioned you have been losing the pens, but hopefully not the tips)? I'll gladly pay for the postage! Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  10. trenzterra

Wow! I am in amazement at what I discovered.

I realised that the S pen became far more accurate the longer the stylus tip is. So I took out some wool from a cotton bud and stuffed it into the pen, to 'pad' the tip a little. The end result is a super accurate S pen with eraser with little to no jitters on the edges! Writes super smooth now :)

WillAdams, Akif Kücet and fishdavis like this.