Styli test and Asus Vivo Tab Note 8, empirical but subjective

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Kumabjorn, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I'm not going to open a pen and try to adjust the potentiometer, I'm simply nut technically qualified. Someone else, preferably with a lion heart, well have to do that.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

2. maki

maki Pen Pal - Newbie

If you could choose between Bamboo Feel,s-pen with eraser and surface pro pen which one would you go?

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The bamboo feel is too big for me. The Surface pen has that magnet-ridge that I don't like. S-pen with eraser is my choice.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I doubt that would do any good anway.

The reason why there is some variability with the offset on some pens is because the coil/capacitor resonant circuit is just deeper into the pen. The larger pens that use Wacoms more traditional nibs tend to showcase the offset because the larger nibs require the coil/cap circuit deeper into the pens barrel to accommodate the larger nib. Thats why if you hold the pen perfectly at a 90 degree angle to the screen, on almost all pens its exact without offset. The offset only rears its head when you drop it down/hold it like a regular pen, since the tablet is "reading" the pen not towards the tip, but the opposite end of the nib where the coil connects with it.

With all these Dinky S-pen styled pens use a much smaller and shorter nib, the offset is far less simply because the nib connects with the coil much closer to the tip. My beloved Axiotron Mod Book Studio Pen for example has a very bad offset, but its so much more comfortable I just got used to the offset.

5. BobWerk

BobWerk Pen Pal - Newbie

I received the Chinese stylus designed after the Lenovo pen yesterday and I'd say the user experience is pretty bad. The feel is overall extremely spongy as the pen tip retracts about 2mm on touching the screen, introducing a massive lack of accuracy. The same goes for the eraser top. I have no idea why they decided to mount the eraser on a spring, as that one even retracts almost 5mm into the pen. The button is very hard to press and pretty loud.

Apart from the bad haptic feedback, the pointer accuracy is okay after shortening the pen tip several millimeters, as it was way too long. But a big minus is that the pen does not support multiple pressure levels. I tried it in OneNote and only managed to draw in a single stroke thickness.

Overall, I don't recommend this pen, unless all you want is a very cheap but decently sized stylus. But apart from its size and form, it doesn't have much in common with the experience of a real pen. That awkward soft-touch texture it is covered in, doesn't help it either.
    Lenovo-style Stylus.jpg

6. wmadan

wmadan Pen Pal - Newbie

I have this pen. It also is my least favorite behind the Samsung S Pen and Wacom Bamboo Feel. As Bob says, the offset is better if you cut the tip down a bit, but I still don't like the offset. The eraser works for me after applying the 2309 firmware. The pen is actually a little thicker and feels better to write with than the Samsung. The button is better than the Samsung to me. With the Samsung, I am pushing it all the time when I don't want to.

7. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

I had problems with the stick after installing the 2309. The pen would write to the right of the pen. I had tried everything but had just given up.

Yesterday I ran calibrate again... for the 100th time. Suddenly, all is well. The stick is working great.

8. trenzterra

trenzterra Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there, it has been a few months and I'm wondering if there is any progress on the pen front?

I purchased a Bamboo Feel (for Galaxy Note because that's the only version they sold in my country) but the offset is really annoying especially towards the edge. It's not so much the offset that is annoying, but the fact that the offset changes from hovering to contact, making it difficult to handwrite at the subject header of OneNote (above the date). I have lesser issues with respect to the stock stylus but it is just too uncomfortable. It's such a pity because the Bamboo Feel feels really great in my hand -- even better than my normal ballpoints!

My ten year old Fujitsu pen seems to work fine but it's getting on in age...

Any recommendations for the best stylus for this tablet? Thanks!

9. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice collection.
    Watch out for an American named DStrauss that maybe touring in your country.
    :).
    The only thing you are mssing is the elusive Cross Wacom pen.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  10. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I like the Motion Wacom Stylus.
    It has a rubber gripper area and a flat button that does not
    rub up against your hand. It also has an ereaser.

Nothing beats the Cross Wacom pen for comfort/weighting,
    but they are not made anymore.
    (A few of us still have them.)

DStrauss said something about $5,000 in unmarked bills....

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014