Styli test and Asus Vivo Tab Note 8, empirical but subjective

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Kumabjorn, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Since I have a fair amount of different styli I decided to test them all on the AVTN8 and see if I could reach any conclusions about my hand to device relationship. I'm tempted to start with the conclusion that "smaller is better" but I'm afraid I'd lose all my credulity. All tests were used with Windows Journal.

First, the included Asus stylus from the silo.
    This one works like a charm, does what it is supposed to, but have trouble maintaining communication with the digitizer along the right edge (Asus in portrait, logo bottom, camera top, same for all tests) I now believe that this isn't a problem with the digitizer, but the stylus.

Second, S-Pen from original Samsung Note
    This one had the best alignment between nib, cursor mark on the screen and they met precisely where I sat down the nib. Pressure sensitivity was also exactly as expected. However, this had even more problem communicating with the digitizer along the right edge. Lines became thinner and right at the edge it wouldn't take. My conclusion is that this model is the smallest, hence the tiniest magnet.

Third, the S-Pen from Samsung Note 3
    This one has a slight offset with two pixels to the left and one above until nib and screen connect. This one did not have the trouble to the right and I think that is because this stylus is slightly larger and come with a stronger magnet. For some reason the nib also had the nicest touch feeling on the screen (a matte SP attached, same for all tests)

Fourth, S-Pen from Samsung Note 8
    This had a slightly more noticeable offset, but the paradox was that this actually made it easier to write notes, because you could see where the marker was at all times (I'm sure this would be a proverbial pain in the tuchus for graphic art). This too had even better recognition on the right edge. Are we noticing a pattern here, more offset better edge connection.

Fifth, S-Pen from Note 10.1
    This one actually worked like a charm, very little offset but very strong edge connection. Stroke pressure also recognized very well.

S-Pen with Eraser from Samsung, sold separately
    This is the Samsung S-Pen with eraser, it is between a Note 8 pen and a Bamboo Feel in size and the top works as an eraser. This one has a slight offset to the left, good contact at the right edge and the added benefit of fast erasure.

Surface Pro 2 pen
    This comes with a slight offset at contact with the screen, rather than being in the middle of the nib, contact is at the nib's SE "corner". Thia one gets very good contact with Windows control zones like the red X or scroll bars, yet at the right edge of inking the stroke has a tendency to fade off. Also, press sensitivity didn't feel as accurate as the Samsung S-Pen series for some reason.

Original Note S-Pen inside holder
    Since this was easier to hold I really appreciated the exact connection between digitizer and nib, but it still maintained the weak connection along the right edge.

Large size S-Pen with integrated BT mic/speaker
    This is the largest stylus in the connection and it maintained excellent contact with digitizer along the edge, and though there was some slight offset as long as the nib wasn't touching the screen the millisecond they attached it stuck to the nib like white to rice. Unfortunately this is a an expensive solution and since the AVTN8 doesn't have phone capabilities the BT is kind of wasted, unless you do a lot of Line/Skype

Finally, the Wacom Bamboo Feel
    This one was by far the nicest to hold, feels like you can take notes for hours and hours without your hand going numb. Unfortunately it also had the largest offset among the tested styli, which wasn't a problem as soon as screen and nib connected, this one was also strongest along the edge because I could actually write beyond it out to the scrollbar (not that there would be any text though, but I could see it registered contact).

Conclusions:
    1) Offset is mostly a pain when you need to control your program, taping buttons, and not so painful when taking notes (again art is probably a different story).
    2) Larger and stronger magnets converts to better contact along the edge and larger styli comes with larger magnets.
    3) The stylus from the original Samsung Note gave the most accurate contact for writing notes on the screen, but is weak along the right edge, adding pressure helps but this will tire your fingers and the time you want to spend writing notes. If you are willing to stay away from the last five mm or so before the right edge, my recommendation would be the original Note stylus inside a pen holder so it feels more like a true fountain pen.

Postscript
    Also, I used the factory setting for calibration, I believe, but need to verify, that a larger pen together with calibration will solve the issue of bad contact with the digitizer along edge.

20140324_094559.jpg
    From left to right: Asus silo pen, Samsung Note S-Pen original, Note 3, Note 8, Note 10.1, original S-Pen in holder, separately sold S-Pen with eraser, separately sold S-Pen with Bluetooth mic/speakr, Bamboo Feel and Surface Pro 2 pen.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. Dave47

Dave47 Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice write-up thanks. I do have a question though. Does the 5mm right edge problem really matter during normal use of this device, or is it simply annoying. I've never owned one of these type devices and was just wondering.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  3. thatdude90210

thatdude90210 Pen Pal - Newbie

For me, the right edge being less accurate is more of an annoyance in Windows. That's because Windows has some important stuff on the right side, like the scroll bar, important buttons in Chrome, the close window X, stuff like that.

For the most part, using the stylus as a mouse in Windows is amazing. And I can do stuff in Splashtop to control another computer in ways I could never imagine without a stylus.

It's kinda difficult to go back to fat-finger control on a tablet afterward.

4. Kumabjorn

For note taking it is slightly annoying because your last letter of the line will appear thin, but if you need to scroll out becomes frustrating.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

Dave47 likes this.
  5. caheo.captain

caheo.captain Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Kumabjorn! it would be great if you include the surface pro pen :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Kumabjorn

You're right, I'll do it sometime today but first; Breakfast.

Added, se OP.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

caheo.captain and Dave47 like this.
  7. caheo.captain

caheo.captain Pen Pal - Newbie

I wonder why don't you make a video on youtube testing all those pens. I think all of AVN users would appreciate. If you decide to do that, have a good lunch before :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Kumabjorn

No video camera.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

9. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the writeup!

Just wondering, does adjusting the potentiometer inside the pen change change any of your feel results?

10. Dave47

Dave47 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for adding the Surface Pro 2 pen. Interesting to note your comment that nib contact is at the "SE corner" and wonder how that might be a problem for a lefty. I guess test driving one before buying is the best thing to do. Same with the tablet itself - if possible.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014