Student: M400 vs. M7 vs. R25

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by jackamck, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No problem Jack...
    Just come back if you need any further advice from the Toshiba members.

2. jackamck

jackamck Pen Pal - Newbie

3. everythingblogcast

everythingblogcast Scribbler - Standard Member

CAUTION!
    These instructions are for the Toshiba Portege M400 there are no warranties if you use these instructions and something goes wrong, Toshiba takes no reasonable neither do I.

Toshiba has a webpage that informs the user how to add RAM to the M400 however since the M7 is just bigger then the guide below will help you on your way. http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlView.jsp?soid=1319304&moid=1209152&BV_SessionID=@@@@0202109623.1143372578@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccaddhfmmkhkjcgfkceghdgngdgnn.0&ct=SB

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. jackamck

Hi, Thanks a lot for this. I was wondering though if, although Toshiba doesn't cover you for anything that happens whilst installing the memory, if after you install it and everything works fine, is the warrenty still valid?

5. Steveoph

Steveoph Pen Pal - Newbie

AFAIK, The warranty is still valid. And the whole process isn't that hard at all, just make sure you use a good fitting screwdriver to undo the screws. I used one that was too small and didnt give enough grip, and I stripped one of the screws holding on the ram cover.

It might seem sort of daunting, but it really is quite simple to install your ram. The first time might take you 5 minutes if you're super careful and everything, but if you ever need to upgrade it again you can do it in 1-2 mins easy. Definitely not worth upgrading it from their website in your case.

6. jackamck

Hi, Just to let anyone who's interested know, I ordered my M7 the other day and ended up buying an extra 1Gb memory as I found a website selling it cheaply (still £50 ($95) cheaper than getting the website to install half a Gb!). I'll probably get it going first and check everything's working on the computer itself before I install the memory - if I install it as soon as I get it and something goes wrong when I start it up, it could get VERY complicated!
    I'll let you know how I get on anyway. Thanks for all the help,

7. jackamck

Hey my M7 arrived this afternoon, conincidentally at the same time as the memory I bought. Few nervous moments installing it like screws not working at first, not finding an un-painted radiator (!) etc. but it now says I have 1.5GB of RAM so I'm happy. I'm loving the computer so far - haven't been able to get on the internet (no wireless set up here yet) so haven't been able to register with Microsoft and therefore haven't been able to use One Note yet, but all is OK for now. There does seem to be a lot of software already on the machine - in portrait mode the task bar almost reaches the start button! Any suggestions of I could get rid if to clear it up would be great.
    Thanks a lot
    P.S. Thanks also to everythingblogcast - those instructions worked perfectly!

8. everythingblogcast

everythingblogcast Scribbler - Standard Member

You are most welcome jackamck I am happy to help I am thinking about upgrading my RAM buy an extra 1GB but crucial has the most funny website on the M400 it has two different ones so I have to contact Toshiba and ask them about what type of RAM my M400 has. To be extra safe the "Measure twice cut once" rule. LOL Well I am going to look into it over the next day or two and then order it.

9. jackamck

I had a look for memory on Cricual as well and also got confused. They were competitive prices, but I eventually bought mine from eBid for £60 ($112) including shipping which I though was a bargin considering it came with a full compatabitily guarantee and warranty. I don't know if the same thing exists for the M400 but it's worth scowering eBid and eBay for any cheap deals.

10. jackamck

Been playing around with my M7 for a while now and I love it, but two slight problems. One is the ESC/Screen rotate button doesn't seem to work (all the other outside buttons (security button, external monitor button etc.) work) - do you have to turn it on somehow? and also sometimes problems turning the screen back on after it turns it self off, or from stand by - can you just press any button to wake it up or do you have to slide the on/off switch?
    Any advice would be great.
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.