Student: M400 vs. M7 vs. R25

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by jackamck, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackamck

jackamck Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I'm planning on buying a tablet PC for use at the moment mostly at home for work/note organising/email/internet with a bit of travelling, but will become more important this time next year when I (hopefully!) go to university. I was about to buy an M400 as it looked like it had the best spec for a tablet around, but have noticed today the R25 and the M7. The M7 looks nice with the bigger screen (the only real drawback of the M400) but is it worth the extra weight, especially in hand held tablet mode? Also the UK spec of the M7 has the 1.66Ghz T2300E rather than the 1.83Ghz T2400 of the M400 - is this a noticable difference? These seem to be the only differences between the two I have found (apart from the lack of the spare stylus with the M7 which was nice but not that important.) The R25 looks pretty good as well but it's apparently even heavier even if considerably cheaper (in the US at least - it doesn't seem to have been released here in the UK yet.) So in the on-going M400 vs. M7 vs. R25 debate, what you you advise for me? As there's no desperate rush (it would be nice to have it soon but not urgent), is it even worth waiting until Vista is released and getting the best tablet then?
    Any advice gratefully appreciated
    Thanks

2. pitcherj

pitcherj Pen Pal - Newbie

jackamck,
    Not three weeks ago I was in the same situation you are right now. What helped make my decision was the fact that the M7 has the choice of a higher-performance graphics solution. With the M7 you have the choice of the Quadro NVS110M, whereas you're limited to the default intel chipset with the M400. Also, not only did the bigger screen of the M7 help persuade me, but also the higher resolution of the M7. I couldn't live with the 1024x768 resolution of the M400 for very long.

3. jackamck

Thanks for this - the M7 I would buy (the one that all UK websites seem to be selling) has the Quadro card and the WXGA+ screen. The only real problem I have with it is the weight - essentially it's 12.1"+4.5lb, and 14.1"+6.1lb - is it worth it? I'm thinking it probably is but hearing it from somebody who is already using one would be ressuring!
    Thanks

4. Steveoph

Steveoph Pen Pal - Newbie

I also bought the M7 last week. It depends on what you want to do on tablet, to figure out which size screen you want. If you have a desktop system, and you just want to take notes on the tablet PC, I would definitely recommend the 12" over the 14". The 14" is just too long in portrait mode to be useful for notetaking, but the extra length is good if you plan on using it as a laptop a fair bit as well.

I don't find 6 lbs. to be too heavy, you can even sorta rest it on your hip its so long is you need to lol. I got the 14" though because I still plan on using the laptop a fair bit in laptop-mode, and the 12" screen was too small for my tastes. As a side note, the M400 does optionally come in SXGA for a better resolution. THink if you really need a good graphics processor on your tablet- you can build a cheap desktop that will outperform it handily. If you do though, I'd say the M7 is a good solution.

5. jackamck

I suppose thinking about it now I probably will use it more in laptop mode as we do have a desktop at home but my mum would probably appreciate it if I left it alone and stopped "slowing it down so much"!! I dont think I will be using it for in-class note taking - not for now at least - more for writing up notes after lessons. So it looks like I'll go for the M7 - I though about waiting until Cnet did a review of it but judging by their shocker with the M400 I don't think it's worth it!
    Thanks for the help

6. jackamck

Just to add, is it worth upgrading to 1Gb of RAM (from 512Mb)? I'm not going to be doing any heavy gaming - mostly just work and internet. I can either get them to do it for me at an extra £116 ($220) or buy it and install it myself for aroud £35 ($66).

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Without doubt you will find a marked improvement with the additional 512MB of RAM.

You are in effect giving your tablet more room to maneuver and you will be surprised just how quickly you will consume the stock 512MB RAM.

8. jackamck

Cheers P8RSON, is it worth paying for them to install it for me or it is worth risking doing it myself - I'm quite technically minded so it probably wouldn't be that much of a problem, but if something goes wrong...
    Thanks

9. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Unfortunately it's not as simple and straightforward as adding ram to say the Fujitsu which simply involves turning the device upside down, taking away the memory cover and slotting in an additional memory stick.

I can't remember off the top of my head about adding ram to the M7 but for the M400 this involves removing the keyboard.

However, no matter what, you should be able to add the memory yourself.
    If though you don't feel confident to do it yourself you could opt for them to do it for you but as you have found, there is a big difference in pricing.

But again, as you say; you are technically minded. As such you should find it a breeze.

Just make sure you don't touch the chips whilst installing.
    As you most probably know, the static from your hands will kill the chips instantly.

10. jackamck

Thanks for the adivce, I think I'll buy it as is from the website and then get the extra memory from Crucial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.