Student/doodler

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by donutwant, Jan 10, 2017.

1. donutwant

donutwant Pen Pal - Newbie

I really just need something for general use, which for me consists of common office tasks and single ayer painting in MS or Krita. Also note taking. I've really just been looking at the surface but its pricey and I would like to get the best performance I can. This will be acting as my desktop replacement for a bit, but I don't intend to game on it.

1. What is your budget?
    <$1000.
    Because I am cheap.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Really depends on the sort of warranty I might be able to get, or at least how reliable the seller is.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    I honestly do not care too much; I’d like something that isn't super heavy though. A convertible thats a couple years old would work for me, it just needs to have pen input.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    = or >10in, please.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    The USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Not really? I'd like a reliable PC that will last at least a year before it implodes?

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    The more the better imo

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    School work, Linux vm’s, ART <-- important one

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows only

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    General office tasks(excel, word, email, lync), MS5 (I only ever use three layers at most), google sketch up

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Nope.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Naw

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    The higher the better. Good color representation is pretty integral to me though.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?

Outside? What’s that?

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    YES!! I’d like wacom or new ntrig preferably.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    I’d like more memory, if possible. Also, I’d like as much ram as possible as well.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Hmmm. I’d like full size?

Misc

1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    I’d really like something I can get a warranty on because I am incredibly clumsy. I realize this would limit me to new items, which at my price is dicey. So it's only a preference.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Nope! A good summation of my desires would be the best performance/screen I can get that has a digitizer (or whatever the kids call em these days.)

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There are a *lot* of excellent machines which can fit that bill for quite a bit less than $1000.

I couldn't even start to recommend any particular one. Small screens are not my area of precise knowledge. Hopefully a few members will pitch in with their fave picks.

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Miix 700 or 720 would be good except for the color gamut of the screen isn't very high. Surface Pro 4 has high color gamut screen.

4. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

IMHO, take a look at what Shogmaster uses.

It might be helpful to list your needs in order?

For example:

Microsoft SP4 might serve best as all around multimedia Windows "do it all" device.
    A Wacom MSP might be best for un-compromised art creation.
    A iPad Pro might be the ultimate mobile sketching device.(not a tablet PC anyway..)
    A Samsung SM-P580 might be a mobile budget art/media device.(not a tablet PC anyway..)