Stuck//Dead Pixels ;(

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by P8RSON, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebates

ebates Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey,

I just got my T4215. Im really impressed with it!! Except for 2 stuck(red) pixels. I called fujitsu and they said I could return it, but that might be another month for a new one with possibly more dead pixels. Buying a laptop shouldnt feel like russian roulette! Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone out there has had this problem. I tried rubbing the pixels and running software from http://udpix.free.fr/
    but its too soon to tell...

Thanks for any advice!

Eric

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Red pixels can disappear just as easily as suddenly appearing.

However, Fujitsu (and most other tablet makers) use grade 1 screens which are free from any pixel issues.

It doesn't surprise me Fujitsu are happy to exchange the tablet.
    What does concern me though is their stance on it may take a month for a replacement and when that one turns up it too may have the same problems.
    That is simply scaremongering.

Call them back and tell them you have been told that comment is utter rubbish.
    If anything, Fujitsu should be saying they only do replacements when there are a group of five pixels or more located together.
    However, grade 1 screens should be totally free from any errors.

3. ahamilton55

ahamilton55 Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow I'm amazed. I've had to tell so many people that I'm sorry their machine has a dead pixel but there is nothing that Fujitsu will do unless they're in the center or there is a group of 8 or more in a square inch area. You're pretty lucky with this.

4. P8RSON

Interesting you mention 8 or more Andrew.
    FSC UK's policy is 5 or more.

Although, again, these days it is much less common to find screens with pixel problems.

5. Bhaltair

Bhaltair Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered a Fujitsu ST5030 and it came with one red pixel. I think it's pretty much a given that every laptop out there is going to have a dead pixel or two. I may be wrong, but it happens often enough!
    Did they say why it'd be two months before they could ship you a replacement?? I just had Fujitsu tell me it'd be 2 or 3 months until they have a "vista capable" computer! This was by one of the head customer service reps.
    Obviously they have two listed on their website - ST5100 series and Lifebook 4215.

6. ebates

ebates Pen Pal - Newbie

Good news! Fujitsu is going to replace the LCD! There's a repair shop where I live here in Vancouver and they are going to do the repair. Should take a day! Im very happy with Fujitsu's service! Cross your fingers that the new LCD will be free from dead pixels!!

As a side note, If your stuck pixels are in the center of the display and are grouped close together they are more inclined to help you out, especially if you have less than the magic number of four dead/stuck pixels.

7. P8RSON

Well that is good news and nore like the Fujitsu I know of.

What made them change their mind in the end?
    Or was it simply a case of phoning again and speaking with a different person who was more helpful?

Ref your side note ~ Yes, I fully agree.
    The official figures is simply guidelines. Each machine can be treated individually (which has always been the case with Fujitsu & FSC).

8. ebates

ebates Pen Pal - Newbie

Good news~!!! I just got my LCD replaced! And the new LCD is free from any defects. I checked over the LCD carefully with 'undead pixel' and i dont see any more dead pixels or stuck ones either. Fujitsu warantee department was a huge help and fixed the problem in a timely manner.

PS. Since I noticed the dead pixels right away and I told customer service that I was considering returning the unit, I think that definately motivated the repair. Once the ball got rolling, the repair was quick and painless. Thanks fujitsu. Although I think fujitsu and most LCD manufactures are gambling that most customers wont notice a couple of dead pixels(especially since the LCDs are expensive to make and only testable when finished), It wouldnt hurt to test the screens before they are shipped. A $3000CAD laptop shouldnt have defects!!

After all is said and done, I am very happy with the product and support from fujitsu and will support their products in the future!

Cheers,

Eric

9. P8RSON

Fujitsu & Fujitsu Siemens for two, only use Grade A LCD's.
    These should be problem free before they get to Fujitsu & FS.

There is a rigorous inspection of all tablets but occasionally the odd screen will get through, especially if the pixel is hard to see.

10. okashira

okashira Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes the Grade A; Grade B thing applies in general. However Fujitsu uses a fairly niche LCD manufacturer: BOE Hydis. IT seems their XGA screens (which are made for tablet PC's) are prone to dead pixels. If you look at one of their screens with a magnifying glass, you will see alot of irregularities between pixels; compared to other LCD's.
    mabye they only use grade A screens for FSC units, and not FCS.. like the digitizers! (j/k)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.