Streaming Video to Tablet

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gamadar, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamadar

Gamadar Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anybody know where the tutorial is on setting up streaming video to your tablet? I remember seeing it some time back when i first set up my tablet, but i can't remember where i saw it. I'm trying to see if i cant get video to stream off my pc to this thing, and hopefully if i can try to stream stuff off my tablet to my xbox 360. (my desktop is only xp sp2 so it doesnt have the built in media center stuff and i can't enable it).

2. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

No dice. Media Center Edition isn't Tablet PC Edition, and Microsoft has you locked into the Media Center Extender in your X-Box. When Vista comes out at the beginning of next year though, you'll be able to do that because one of the 7-flavors of Vista will have Media Center & Tablet functionality.

3. kingjimmi

kingjimmi Pen Pal - Newbie

I have an NEC Litepad. I Place my audio and video files into my shared documents folder on my desktop computer. These files stream over the network to my tablet with no problems. I use VLC to play my files.

4. nfwolfpryde

Well King, I think what Gamadar is wanting is to use the "Media Extender" functionality of his 360 to stream video to his TV via his tablet. Is that right Gamadar?

5. kingjimmi

"I'm trying to see if i cant get video to stream off my pc to this thing, and hopefully if i can try to stream stuff off my tablet to my xbox 360."

His question is clearly in two parts. I addressed the first part of his question, the part that asked whether he could "get video to stream off [his] pc to [his tablet]."

"Does anybody know where the tutorial is on setting up streaming video to your tablet?"

Sorry Gamadar, I have no idea where that tutorial is located. I just figured I'd share my experience w/ streaming media to my aging tablet using functionality built into all flavors of windows.

"Well King, I think what Gamadar is wanting is to use the "Media Extender" functionality of his 360 to stream video to his TV via his tablet."

Yeah, he asked about that too, but I didn't think it was necessary to rehash your answer.

6. nfwolfpryde

lol, sorry mate, my mistake. ;) I guess I didn't read your question properly Gamadar! VLC is an awsome option then. Go for it! If you've got a TV tuner in your desktop, there's software that lets you stream that to your tablet too. Good luck!

7. Gamadar

Gamadar Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea, my question was basically about streaming to the xbox 360, does anyone know how to do it? I tried to set it up using my normal pc , but it wasnt compatible, i was wondering if windows xp tablet edition was?

8. kingjimmi

You can try using Windows Media Connect. It is a free upgrade for WinXP. Using this will definitely allow you to stream music and photos to the 360, but video may be a stretch.

9. Gamadar

Gamadar Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea, i wanted to stream videos to the 360, but i couldn't do that on my win XP machine, i thought i read somewhere that it was possible using win xp tablet pc. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.