Stream 7 - some usability questions

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by RobWu, Apr 15, 2015.

1. RobWu

RobWu Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi guys,

A couple of small questions on the Stream 7 if you don't mind ;-)

- Do people use this tablet with a TV? Or better, what are the experiences linking this tablet to a tv with a OTG cable (HDMI) or something. Think the occasional presentation, or Netflix.
    - What is the sensitivity of the screen when using a simple rubber tipped pen? Think having people sign PDF's with it. Does it provide enough sensitivity to do some basci 'drawing'.
    - What is the 'real world' battery life? Can one get a full working day with the occasional use of the tablet?

I'm looking for a cheap 'tryout tablet' for a friend, who wants to automate some of his paperwork (e.g. the signing bit), but also use it for the occasional presentations at clients, or at home watching tv or something.

Or.... would it better to invest a bit more in something else? If so, would love to hear thoughts.

Thanks for answers and thoughts,

Rob
    Holland

2. rabilancia

rabilancia Pen Pal - Newbie

1. OTG works, but remember any solution to use OTG and simultaneously charge the device is somewhat complicated.
    2. I use an Adonit Pro stylus. It's the best I've found. The rubber tipped ones were problematic for me.
    3. If 6 hours is your definition of a "full working day," then the answer is yes.

I'd recommend staying away from Windows 10 on the device. I got mine to try Win 10 but was greatly disappointed. Went back to Win 8.1 and have been quite happy. The $79 I spent was a bargain given all the extras that came with it from the Microsoft Store.

3. RobWu

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Well..... 6 hrs doesn't really count as a full day (9-10 is..), but I can assume basic standby time + 5-10 time, 10 min. use is longer than that? If not, oh well.... ;-)
    The Adonit stylis I find that one a bit weird looking with the disk and all, but if it works great...
    And yes, with the office365 thrown in, it's quite the bargain.

And Win10 on a tablet..... For what I've seen, they have to bring back some of the 8.1 stuff to make it more useful, like the win8 'All Apps' screen.
    The startmenu on a small screen is going to be a disaster, especially with the power and all apps buttons so close together. But Win10 is a another discussion ;-)

rob

4. Dave47

Dave47 Pen Pal - Newbie

While I own a Stream 8 it is a cousin to the 7. I found that one can greatly improve the battery life by muting the volume. Yes I know it sounds weird but it really makes a difference. I get more than a day's use before a charge in necessary. My guess is the 7 would behave close to the same.

5. RobWu

Seriously? That's an odd way to make a difference...... I wonder if that would work on all Win8 tablets.
    I normally turn on Filght Mode to save battery when I'm not using it, but not want to turn it off.

Another question that popped in my head about the Stream 7.
    There was some talk about noisy audio on the headset port. Do people have that issue still?

I wonder if that was a first batch problem.

rob

6. Dave47

Dave47 Pen Pal - Newbie