Strange Surface Pro2 problem when powering on.

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by freewilly, Jul 16, 2017.

1. freewilly

freewilly Pen Pal - Newbie

I picked up a used SP2 the other day (i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB, with 2 dented corners but for $300 CDN or abt $240 USD) and noticed that it has this strange problem. If I try to turn it on with the ac adapter attached and powering the device it does absolutely nothing and can only then be turned on by holding down the volume up and power buttons for 15 seconds, the screen flashes once, and then pushing the power button quickly 1x. Then everything is peachy. It can even be restarted with the ac attached, but not shut down & then started. If, on the other hand, I go to turn it on with only battery power, it starts up normally.
    I thought it might have been a problem with the installed OS, or a needed firmware update, so I wiped the OS, formatted the drive, and reinstalled Win10 and got all the updates. Well, it didn't change a thing. Any ideas? ..Willy.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Just out of curiosity, have you tried reversing the plug at the wall outlet?

3. freewilly

Yup.. no difference. I'm actually running it off a 1000W pure sine inverter in my rig, but does 4he same when hooked up to shore power. One thing I *did* notice is that the the power brick says 'replacement ac adapter'. It's rated at 48W, 3.6A at 12V. ...Willy.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Wait. It isn't a Microsoft AC adapter? What brand is it?

5. freewilly

I had a good look at it today and it seems to be unbranded, save for 'replacement ac adapter', and is missing a few of the certification labels I've seen on genuine Surface adapters. That's probably it right there.. Chinese knockoff. ..Willy.