Strange screen problem with Vaio Duo 11. Need input

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by thetruth1983, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello, I have a weird issue with my Duo 11 and I want to see what you guys think.

While using my Duo 11 at work at my desk, I noticed the touch screen would act strange. If I put 1 finger on certain parts of the display, it would register as 2 or 3 key presses. I called Sony Support from work and they tried their best to fix the problem over a remote connection. After playing with the drivers for a while, the tech made the problem go away for the most part.

The problem did not appear again until I came back to work a couple days later. Guess what, the same problem popped up. I called Sony Support again from work and he had me do a system restore. That made the problem go away.

Now, at my next day at work, the issue popped up for a 3rd time. Keep in mind that this only happens when I'm at work. I didn't bother to call Sony Support again because I decided that I would return it. Once I got home, I called to get a RMA so I could return it but I could not get the problem to appear. I have used the Duo all day and the touch screen has been working fine. I drove up to work earlier and sure enough, the touch screen acts up when I'm using it at my desk.

Is it possible that something at my job is causing the Duo to malfunction? I have the US model so I don't have GPS but I do know I have NFC. Could that possibly be the cause? I'm totally stumped about this and I can't think of any reason why it would be acting up only when I'm at work. BTW, I experience the issue at my desk when it is plugged in and when it isn't. Thanks to anyone who can help.

2. nick_white

nick_white Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the AC adapter plugged in when the problem appears?

3. thetruth1983

It happens whether or not the AC adapter is plugged in. I do keep the extended battery plugged in though.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Is it possible that something at my job is causing the Duo to malfunction?..>>

...Is there a fluorescent light at your desk or nearby? Also, any nearby digital devices? Try turning them off or moving away from them. What you are describing sounds like the classic EMI (electromagnetic interference) problem that all capacitive touch screens suffer from (to a greater or lesser extent).

5. thetruth1983

Thanks for the reply. There is a fluorescent light overhead and there is also a walkie talkie on my desk. I won't be back at work until Saturday so I will try turning off the power to different things to see if it makes a difference. I will report back if I find something. Thanks again!

6. DeshMindER

DeshMindER Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.