"Stop Saying Apple Pencil Is A Stylus!"

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by Ed Hardy, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

An article on TechnoBezz makes a good point:

Stop Saying Apple Pencil Is A Stylus!

There are many misleading reviews about Apple Pencil. Many of them categorize Apple Pencil as a stylus.
    Read the full article at: https://apple.news/AXox9L0emQpmQVOBntr3FJg

I agree with the points made in this article, but I also regularly refer to the Apple Pencil as a stylus for a simple reason... a reason not addressed in the article above: what should I call it? There's only one non-ambiguous term for a tool used to write on a computer screen that I know of, and that term is "stylus".

Microsoft calls its stylus the Surface Pen, but I can't call the Apple Pencil a "pen" without confusing people; A pen is something used to write on paper. I definitely can't call this class of accessories pencils for the same reason.

I'm looking for suggestions here. Does anyone have a single term to refer to the Surface Pen, Apple Pencil, and similar input devices?

Aman likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That article is revisionist hogwash. The "stylus" grew up with the Newton and PalmPilot - not just for UI manipulation and target selection , but DATA ENTRY, and Jobs knew that (he strangled Newton the first thing he got back). Both did fairly convincing Jobs (pun intended) of converting writing to text, and when Jobs sneered and demeaned the stylus, that include the modern pencils and pens as well. Granted, they have come a long way, but to assert the stylus was a mere stick for touching the screen is just a way to justify, and distinguish from, Jobs' "yuck" moment...

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Let's call it a Meisterstück and see what happens.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Azzart and dstrauss like this.
  4. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

Don't hold back on us; what do you really think? :)

While there's certainly some truth to what you say, Jobs denigrated the stylus primarily because it was required to perform the most basic tasks with a Palm or Windows Mobile device, as opposed to his new iPhone that could be controlled with a fingertip. Fast forward to today, the iPad needs only a fingertip for everything, but the Apple Pencil is much, much better for drawing and taking notes.

The Surface Pen is also great for note taking and drawing, but still has a more general role operating the computer because there are older Windows apps that still contain on-screen elements too small for a fingertip.

dstrauss likes this.
  5. dstrauss

I went off the reservation a bit there, didn't I...:oops:

The Apple Pencil is an excellent writing and drawing tool. I just get tired of much of the tech press (present company DEFINITELY excluded) that fawns over the Apple Pencil as if it invented the category of active pens. I tried it, and liked it, but the tapping noise it makes on the glass not only annoys me, it got an admonition from a Judge about my "distracting note taking device." No matter how hard I tried to write "softly" it still made noise. Guess I was holding it wrong...:rolleyes:

Zeelobby and dellaster like this.
  6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Only thing I know is that plural of stylus is styluses not styli. Stylus isn't latin.

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It was N-Trig that first made a big deal about distinguishing active pens from styluses. But it's plain weird to say a Pencil is a Pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. dstrauss

Any more weird than a "Pen" with an eraser, and a "Pencil" that doesn't have one?

Mesosphere likes this.
  9. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

They are going to reserve that name for the gold and jewel-encrusted Pencils. That gives me a great merchandizing idea: instead of allowing one stylus to produce multiple rendering styles, require the owner to buy different styluses to draw in different styles. Then you can sell fountain pen, calligraphy, pencil, ballpoint and many other types of styluses! You could even require the owner to buy an ink well before they can write on the screen! Wow, I'd better patent this right away! ;)

10. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

In my suspiciousness, I suspect that they want it to make a distinctive audible sound. It's like the sound of a Harley. You want people to know you're using a Pencil! OMG, I just got another patentable idea! Customizable click sounds, like phone ring tones. I want my Pencil to make a burp sound every time I tap on the screen with it! ;)

dstrauss likes this.