Stoneseeker caves and buys a phablet

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by stoneseeker, Sep 20, 2015.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

:(

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I did indeed a few months back. I really considered the Note 4 Edge, but aside from the way it gives you notifications, the whole edge element seemed more gimmick then useful. And the edge itself seemed like it could impair holding/drawing so I decided against the edge. The lack of micro SD card and removable battery from the Note 5 weren't big issues for me since I was coming from an iPhone 5s, so I got the Note 5.

Can't speak for the Note 4, but the Note 5 performs better then any other Android tablet I've used.

Stonekeeper, aside from Artrage, here are some of the best Art Apps on Android you may wanna check out.

Medibang Paint
    Corel Painter Mobile
    ArtFlow
    Layerpaint HD
    Autodesk Sketchbook
    Cloverpaint

One thing to be careful with, because the Note phones have such a high res displays in such a small screen.....you may find yourself drawing a lot bigger then you really need to. Like if your fine drawing with a 20 pixel size brush on a larger tablet like the Note Pro....that same brush size will look so small on the phone, you may end up compensating by increasing your Brush size to 40 or 50, etc. Its a bad habit I fell into, and it's very easy to get carried away into when you get lost in a drawing, since you look at the canvas on your screen as treat the canvas as the 100% final size. It's however for this I prefer the apps that let you make bigger brushes.

Apps like Artrage and ArtFlow limit your max brush size to around 120-150 ish px...which can make flat coloring a very big pain.

Comparatively Medibang Paint allows Brushes up to 300 px
    And Layerpaint HD allows up to 500 px.

Both of which are huge by even Desktop Standards, but look barley adequate on the small Note phone.

Medibang Paint is my fav app though. Aside from being completely free, it has the most stable performance, a wealth of features, and it's the only art app that can be found on all major platforms without compromise, it's available for Windows, OSX, IOS, and Android.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is it just me, or does Medibang Paint look an awful lot like Pixia?

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Not only the Note Edge but the Galaxy 6 Edge are getting upgrades to their edges. Apparently the notification edge will hold twice as much information and there will be more functions.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

5. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'll have to say I think you're wrong, personally. The Note Edge was Samsung's first foray into an edge display, and out of the box, it is somewhat limited. But with root, some tinkering, and a little help from developers, I find it extremely useful. For the edge panels, I really only use the 2 shortcut panels provided by Samsung. On those panels are shortcuts to apps, shortcuts to other apps made within the program Tasker to trigger automation tasks and shortcuts to websites, and shortcuts to quick-dial certain contacts. One, for example, automates the connection of my phone to tether to my Nexus 7 head unit in my truck, another toggles airplane mode and enables WiFi calling through Hangouts, and the others are direct shortcuts to my favorite websites. Paired with Tasker, the options are absolutely endless, and launching these things from the edge panel is way faster than hitting the home button, finding the app, etc. I've also enabled Immersive Mode globally, so I've essentially removed the top taskbar since all the notifications come on the panel. It gives me a little more screen real estate, and I can always swipe down from the top to get it back if need be.

A developer modified the stock CocktailBar Service which is the edge panel ticker you can trigger with the screen off. It was an unbelievable oversight that Samsung didn't offer this, but with his app, you can have your phone off and on a table with the edge panel facing you (I have it like that when I'm working). Then, when you receive text/email/calendar notification (you can choose what you want), the edge panel will light up, and the ticker will scroll across with the notification. I find this awesome, and it allows me to quickly glance at my phone to see if the notification is important or if I can just leave my phone alone.

For writing, it is kind of weird once the Wacom pen gets close to the right side if you're holding it in portrait, but in landscape, there are no issues with the writing.

The edge panel is far from gimmicky (I think), if you do some experimentation.

darkmagistric likes this.
  6. darkmagistric

Is that because of the edge? Given the nature of how EMR tech works and how generally poor corner/edge accuracy can be, I'd imagine getting the edge to work must have an engineering nightmare for Samsung. The Note 5's Wacom pen works perfectly fine in portrait or landscape. although I'm kind of curious why Samsung didn't offer a Note 5 edge, I guess Sales must have been poor.

7. darkmagistric

Not only that, but the most recent rumor I've seen about the Note 6 indicates it's supposedly going to have 6GB of Ram.

I find it amazing that there are OEMs still throwing full blown Windows 10 tablets at us with a measly 2GB of ram.....yet Phones with mobile OS's are going to be shortly rocking 6GB.

8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'm not even rooted and I do find the edge increasingly useful, but I understand why some would consider it gimmicky. It certainly could look that way if one were not to find ways to make their phone routine easier through it. I'll just list the ways I use it/find it useful or functional in an average week:

-It's a PERFECT bedside clock/alarm at night while it charges. I dont have one, so this thing is just perfect for it. Because of the angle of the screen and very dim clock feature, it is better than any bedside clock I have ever owned.

-I can take calls without interrupting what I'm doing on screen. It simply uses the edge to inform me of an incoming call with an option to swipe down to take the call. Or you can ignore it/hang up without ever leaving your page or document.

-My homescreen is clean clean clean. Just a picture and clock. It's nice aesthetically to unclutter the homescreen, made possible since all my important shortcuts are kept in the edge in folders and edge screens.

-I like the edge pull down menu with torch and timer, etc. I don't know if this is quicker than most peoples methods but it has become handy for me.

@darkmagistric thanks for the list man!
    I have all those except for clover and Medibang. Gonna go check it out now! Clover looks fantastic but I dont realistically use mobile enough for drawing to really justify sinking time into learning it. I like Corel and Artflow best so far out of all the apps.

9. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Has absolutely nothing to do with edge drift or the accuracy of the pen. It's just when you start reaching the curve of the display, the pen slides off because it's sloped and feels weird.

Until Samsung slims up their TouchWiz, it will continue to eat up RAM, stutter, and lag. I still can't stand anything but stock Android, but deal with it to use this Note Edge.

Even though there are some neat features, I think Samsung half-assed most of them. To take your example, it's great when the call pops up, but the moment you hit the home button that edge call screen goes away and it converts to the little overlay. There's no option to always take calls on the edge, or prevent it from going away. It's just not consistent.

Same with the timer, stopwatch, etc. Let's say I want to start the timer and then utilize my other edge panels. I have to close the timer and swipe the quick toggle panel away to get to my other panels. The timer should just add itself as a temporary addition to the panels you swipe through until it's closed. Stuff like that. There's a lot of untapped potential in the edge, and it's anything but consistent.

Unless you're willing to tinker a bit, I think many will find it gimmicky. I do think it's a great task switcher for multitasking.

10. darkmagistric

That's what I meant, the Physical edge/curve. That was also one of my fears about the edge since I thought that the edge would be annoying when drawing.