Stoneseeker caves and buys a phablet

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by stoneseeker, Sep 20, 2015.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Hey gang.

So it finally happened. I bought a cell phone. I was one of the last hold outs among all my peers and even parents/grandparents. For years I stubbornly used a home phone and stayed away from the constant glare of a tiny screen since my job was filled with enough screens.

But now during our move, applying to new studios, organizing visits to see apartments to rent, tracking down friends in the hectic city of Vancouver, I realized my stand had finally come to an end.

So I embraced the loss of my cell virginity and decided to get the best cell I could possibly imagine owning... I went and purchased the last of the upgradeable Note series phones, the Note Edge. The Note 5 looked lame in contrast, because: DAT edge !! I could expand the memory, replace the battery on a whim, and best of all I can DRAW! with Wacom pen and a powerful system (well at least for a phone) this thing seemed like my safest bet to ensuring a pleasant transition into phone-zombie land.

So heres a list of things I've noticed and questions I have to all you cellulites. (I'm not making any friends here am I ? :p)

-This thing is so much faster than my NotePro 12.2 and all I can think is its because of the snapdragon vs. exynos. Drawing and painting in the apps that normally lag like a mutha (read: ARTRAGE) on the big tablet are quite snappy on the little edge. Score! Makes me regret the notepro purchase a bit though. why so slow pro??

-Battery drains faster than I would have expected from a premium device with a 3000mah battery. Perhaps its a lollipop glitch? If I monitor things carefully and turn off wifi when I put it into standby and leave GPS off I can get through a day barely. If I use the screen in the morning all morning browsing chrome, youtube, playing a game and then drawing a bit it seems to get about 4 hours before it thinks its going to ned a charge. Thankfully it charges SO FAST. Like seriously 45 minutes or something like that. What should I expect battery life to be on this thing??

-I am loving texting. I know I know, welcome to society. But it's really fun. It's especially fun making my friends and family try to guess who the heck is texting them. They never saw it coming. :D

-The Edge is pretty handy IMO. It's a little awkward to hold or use one handed, but the notifications and extra uses on it is kinda neat. I think it's proven useful so far, just not imperative by any stretch.

-This thing gets really warm on the back. Hot even. The CPU regularly reports over 60 degrees when watching youtube or surfing the web. Normal? I tried running 3DMark on it when it was semi-hot and it underperformed the bench by a long shot for the device. The next morning when it was cold it performed the test perfectly, so I think its getting hot enough to be concerned about performance issues.

-gaming is fun on this thing though. Beautiful screen.

That's all I got. So far overall I'm quite happy with it! :cool:

2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting...I was a die-hard, no-cell holdout---until 3 days ago...when I got a Note 5 after debating between the Note 4 Edge just like you! (Raw power trumps design for me :p)

Come to think of it...I think @darkmagistrix also just got a Note 5 too :D.

What's going on?!! Did Samsung lace these forums with secret subliminal messaging?

You shall all cave to the dark power of the Samsung-Wacom alliance!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Welcome to the GN club guys! Of course, you both chose the wrong model (GN4 FTW).

I was a cellphone hold out at one point too, although never a smart phone hold out. An internet connected computer in my pocket was never something I was opposed to... talking on the phone though is something I like to avoid =)

Also, gratz on the move to Vancouver. My dream is to move back to that part of the world eventually (Seattle). I drove through BC a couple times going to/from Alaska. Most beautiful sights I've ever seen on that drive through BC.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    stoneseeker likes this.
  4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I’m still holding out, and currently plan for my obituary to note that I never owned one.

Bronsky and stoneseeker like this.
  5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I held out for a few years, about 7-8 years ago, but it was very hard to efficiently run my business, since I'm always in the field. The phone eats up all kinds of time, just putting around on it- there's no doubt about that. But it also allowed me to answer and make calls during the day while in the field, check client docs remotely, review estimated I've already sent when ordering materials, take reference photos at a moments notice, map client locations, build an address book that's in the cloud (I've lost a business one before- wow, was that terrible), listen to music, etc etc. Astoundingly useful. It would be almost impossible to run my business without it, unless I paid
    someone to answer phones for me- an industry that used to exist.

6. stoneseeker

I believe in you. Be strong for us all!

Mesosphere and WillAdams like this.
  7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

And on the other shoulder... "C'mon you know you want one. Flappy Bird is calling your name!"

8. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

stoneseeker, I'm currently using a Note Edge as well. If you ever felt notifications on the edge when the screen is off would be handy, there's a dev who's released an awesome app.

Basically, when you receive a notification it will simulate the little rub action you do on the edge to start the ticker and will show your notification/message on the edge without waking up the rest of the phone. I find it very handy when my phone is on my desk or a table to see what's coming in and whether it's time sensitive. Really big oversight on Samsung's part; they should have offered this functionality from the start.

stoneseeker likes this.
  9. stoneseeker

Whats the app called??

10. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

RuggedHunter's Auto CocktailBar. It requires root.