Still on the hunt for that perfect sketching machine...

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Neve, Nov 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I will never, for the life of me, understand how anyone can enjoy the experience of painting on glass. I never got used to it, and always disliked the feeling. Matte screen protectors are ok, but nothing really beats a textured matte screen. My favorite machine to sketch on was always the lowly motion le1600- programmable side hardware buttons, nice 4:3 ratio, EMR pen, ran cool, matte screen finish. Ran Sai pretty well too, considering.

I admit, this tactile-feedback desire is the thing that’s really kept digital artwork as a very small side thing I do. I don’t do it professionally, so spending 1000$ for a unit isn’t really feasible if it’s not also my real laptop with a real lappable keyboard. I thought long and hard about the Toshiba z20t. That seems like it would also be a very nice sketching machine. EMR too. But 12.1” is too small for a main machine for me. I wish they had continued the line or made a bigger screen.

Are there any other EMR matte screen devices out there, beyond the Zbook x2? Or do people have real world advice for good matte screen protectors that feel good?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've come around on this as well. I find a bit of friction between stylus and screen is good. The Dell Canvas has that slightly sand-blasted texture which makes it pleasant to draw a stylus across.

My old Tecra M4 had a mat lens screwed down on it, and while it granulated the image, was also a comfortable drawing surface.

I quite like glass, (have used sheets of basic window glass on my DIY machines, which worked fine), but the gloss surface of my Samsung is like.., extra slippery. Glass isn't actually frictionless, even with a hard plastic nib. But gloss screens these days must have some special teflon-like component in their formula, and it takes a higher level of motor control to keep a pen doing what I want.

-Even so, after a few minutes of drawing, I am able to forget the medium and just get into the work without thinking about it one way or the other.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

IMHO, a sketching device that is easy to use, reliable pen input and battery life would need to run a OS that is built for touch, basically Android, iOS, and Chrome. I prefer Android the most and iOS the least, mainly because iOS is so limited.

I have the Tab A w Spen and the Tab S3. The Tab S3 or 4 are both way better (I have made 2k images on my tablet S3 w Infinite Painter..) and do work well as a convenient yet powerful enough device for on the go sketching.

Having a windows device is PITA in such cases.

I suggest trying the Tab S3 or 4, can be bought easily at Best Buy and returned within a week if it is not for you.

Also have a look at the Acer chromebook spin 13, a really powerful Chromebook with up to 16gb ram, that includes a EMR stylus.

Finally I would not recommend any non Wacom EMR device, as you are already using the best pen tech and all the others will feel terrible and awkward to you.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

one of the best films ever...

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ya'll need to embrace the plastic on glass. Don't be a sucka and be draggin' rubber coated tips on glass like a simpleton, robbing precious IAF and slowing your ass down while you draw.

Real men (and women) know how to control their hand enough to glide them plastic nibs on a glass screens.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I dunno wat dat means...

DRTigerlilly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.