Still on the hunt for that perfect sketching machine...

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Neve, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Neve

Neve Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions

1. What is your budget?

450ish USD. Lower is better, would prefer more around 100-250 personally, but will pay for more.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Definitely!

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Media/mobile tablet with stylus or Windows tablet pc

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 9.7 to 13-inches
    5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Not really no

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

Hmm 6+ hours of constant use should be plenty. I can be more lenient on this.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Sketching, light drawing, Powerpoint/Document viewer (for notes), surfing the web

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Whatever gets the job done.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

iOS: Medibang, Procreate
    Android: Medibang, Artflow
    Windows: Clip Studio Paint, Medibang

All three will be using at least PP.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Nope!

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

Nope!

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

At least standard HD (1920 x 1080).

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Mostly inside cafes and such, but will be using this outside as well.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Wacom EMR usually, but we'll see.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

Depends on the device, but minimum 4 GB for Windows. Android and iOS maybe 3 GB?

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

A non-issue.

Misc:

MUST be light and run cool. It must be touchscreen!

Background:

I bought a Notebook 9 Pro, and while I haven't had a chance to use it much yet for art, I've fallen head over heels in love with it. It's fast and the Wacom EMR is like butter. However, I bought it also to double as a school computer so I'm treating it carefully since it's the most expensive tech investment I've made.

Last year, I bought a Samsung Tab A 10.1 with S-pen and while I love the portability, I feel its storage size, processor and RAM size to be severely lacking, even for sketching. I can't really work in Artflow or Medibang or most art apps passed a 2000x2000 ppi canvas without it starting to lag. But I love being able to scroll through my notes and browse. Anyway, I'd like to sell it while it's still commanding a decent price which leads me to fulfilling its spot:

I want something as light and cool as possible. I want to be able to stuff it in my bag for cafe trips or test days at school. I want to be able to flip it out and read my notes and it not to feel cumbersome. But I also want to be able to draw on it at 300 dpi (min.) canvases (3000x3000 ppi) without delay or lag.

I've been looking at the Galaxy Book 12, but touch just seems more fluid and intuitive on Android/iOS, so considering one of the newer Tabs too. I also own the HP Zbook pen and S3 pen which I LOVE both dearly. If there are older machines that can take advantage of these pens' low IAF, I wouldn't mind knowing. I probably won't settle on anything until I at least try the new Apple Pencil, but as it is right now, the weight of the barrel for the original just isn't ergonomic enough for my hand.

I WILL wiggle on budget if there is a notable performance difference on something, but I would prefer to not spend more than half of what I paid for my Notebook which was 940 with the tax included.

So, your thoughts? :) Thanks in advanced!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 or S4?

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  3. Neve

Neve Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm thinking about it, but would like to hear other suggestions ha ha. I'm wondering if there is a real difference in power. I've seen a couple reviews so far there isn't between the two, but I can't tell if the latency (?) is improved. Has anyone tried both? I find Artflow and Sketchbook Pro to be the most responsive on my Tab A, but working on anything beyond 150 dpi is a chore.

I just watched a video comparing the Surface Pro 2017 and Lenovo Miix 520 that has Wacom AES 2.0 and the latter performed waaaay better. But I'm guessing all devices with the improved AES are out of my budget range, right?

I should reiterate I am open for older machines provided they have touch and aren't too heavy and hot. A Fujitsu Stylistic, for example, is not something I want. I have one and it's more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  4. Neve

Neve Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for the double post, but just want to say that I'm looking more and more into Windows machines. Galaxy Book and the Helix Gen 2 have caught my eye from recommendations on this board. Touch seems to work well on both of these devices, but how is palm rejection? Also still open to other considerations. I really just want something to supplement my laptop.

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Android is pure junk for content creation. I picked up an S3 recently and it's a beautiful piece of technology totally wasted on an OS from hell and all the "Apps" are spawn thereof. The only thing it is good for is honing your Pavlovian responses to social media, watching movies and the alarm clock. And I guess things like keeping track of appointments. It's a glorified pocket book.

You can sketch on it, but after using a full Windows machine, it's basically an exercise in masochism and self-labotomy.

A GB 12 using Clip Studio Paint is going to have excellent palm rejection and excellent touch.

Generally speaking, you're not going to get a good touch interface with older equipment. Touch was only perfected with Windows 10, and all the good older machines ran on Win 7 and are an inch thick. (Though, there might have been a Windows 8 tablet or two out there, but I can't recall anything standing out from that period.)

Your budget is going to have to be in the $1000 range to be realistic for the kind of feature set you are looking for in new equipment.

If you drop touch and thinness and long battery life as requirements, (and you don't mind looking old school), you can get an absolutely wonderful older machine for around $150.

And then of course...

There's the weird and wonderful Fujitsu t904/935... That's an outlier in all of this. Might be just the thing. (Though, I don't know how good its touch is.) I've never used one, but reports are generally positive, and it would fit your budget.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujitsu-Li...=item56ba13bfd2:g:3MAAAOSwoDlb22zG:rk:12:pf:0

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm gonna scream the answer 'till all of y'all gets it:

LENOVO HELIX 2ND GEN!
    LENOVO HELIX 2ND GEN!
    LENOVO HELIX 2ND GEN!
    LENOVO HELIX 2ND GEN!
    LENOVO HELIX 2ND GEN!
    LENOVO HELIX 2ND GEN!

It's EMR, it's got a relatively modern CPU with decent power and battery life, It's the right size (11.6") and right resolution for the size (1080p), it's got a great KB dock if you want one, and most importantly of all, it's got proper Feel driver support that makes the current Samsung EMR units useless in comparison in pen action. And you can get the base tablet for under $300 on eBay.

thatcomicsguy likes this.