Stickied issues thread? (for users and for official ASUS response)

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Marty, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi everyone,

I would like to recommend a stickied issues thread for people experiencing common problems on this otherwise great tablet.

My goal is to provide a common reference for users and to prompt ASUS into an official response rather than having the community stumble around finding workarounds.

---

In no particular order, the issues that I feel must be addressed with a driver/firmware update are:

1) Intermittent digitizer deactivation

Description: Randomly the tablet will become unresponsive to both pen and touch input.

Temporary solution: Rotating the screen, locking the screen (CTRL-ALT-DEL) will reactivate the digitizer. Deactivating the "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" setting in the Device Manager for the digitizer may prevent the problem from recurring.

*I have also noticed the digitizer to intermittently stop responding to pen input only. Simply touching the screen brings it back. Nonetheless it is quite annoying.

2) Processor stays throttled at minimum

Description: The processor remains throttled to a x5 multiplier (~700MHz) when the system temperature reaches ~45C. Plugging in, changing the cpu the power settings, and high processor load have no effect on changing the clock rate after it becomes locked.

Temporary solution: Use ThrottleStop to adjust set clock multiplier. Simply disabling the "BD PROCHOT" bit without any clock rate regulation may restore normal cpu scaling behavior.

3) System intermittently becomes unresponsive

Description: All applications will suddenly hang for ~2 minutes due to some SSD related error. Digitizer and windows shell continue to respond but all applications will be in a 'white out' unresponsive state.

Temporary solution: Update to the latest Intel Rapid Storage drivers. If that doesn't work, uninstall the Intel Rapid Storage drivers completely.

---

These are the major issues with the stock EP121 models, which I feel ASUS is responsible for addressing immediately. If any ASUS reps are reading this, some acknowledgement of these problems would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Marty

There are also other smaller issues that, if addressed, would greatly enhance the user experience of this slate:

---

Problem: Bluescreen errors on startup after installing the Enhanced Driver for Wacom Penabled Tablet PCs

Description: Installing the 'ISD_DualTouch_701-8' driver from Wacom (to enable pen calibration, pressure sensitivity adjustment, etc.) may lead to a bluescreen error that prevent windows from starting.

Temporary solution: Install the modified Pen ISD driver from CF77 on this thread

Desired solution: Please offer a Wacom ISD compatible pen driver on the ASUS support site. Your niche market for this device are digital artists and designers, who want full control of the pen features. It is a waste to limit this slate by not offering support for the Wacom Tablet PC drivers.

---

Problem: Intel Graphics driver updates may produce graphical glitches and reduced performance.

Description: Updating the graphics driver through the standard Windows update can cause screen artifacting and sudden drops in the WEI processor and/or 3D scores.

Temporary solution: Trial and error with different versions of the Intel graphics drivers.

Desired solution: ASUS should fully test/tweak new Intel drivers as they are released to ensure there is no negative effect on performance, then publish them to the support site.

---

Problem: Dedicated tablet buttons (home, volume rocker, keyboard button) cannot be mapped to alternate functions.

Description: When the user selects "Set tablet buttons to perform certain tasks" from the start menu, a "Tablet buttons are not installed" error appears.

Temporary solution: none

Desired solution: Please add a tablet button driver to ASUS support site, which allows the functions to be customized. Seeing as how Windows already has a built in framework for modifying the tablet buttons, why not make use of it?

---

Problem: Unable to boot from SD Slot

Description: Within the bios boot settings, there is no SD slot option

Temporary solution: Use a USB SD card adapter and boot from USB.

Desired solution: Please add an SD boot option to the bios. This is a standard feature on almost all modern laptops.

---

Lastly, it wouldn't hurt to provide some extra hardware accessory options (available at the time of purchase) that I, and a number of others on this forum, have expressed interested in:

- an extra power adapter
    - a pen with a rocker button
    - a docking station

*edit: you can purchase an extra power from ASUS at this link (it's pricey though)

After dealing the major issues, addressing these minor ones will round out the user experience, making the EP121 a truly best-in-class device.

3. Pete in Hyder

Pete in Hyder Z160 1984 $2800 33# My1st

This is a wonderful list you two. Do we have any information as to whether anyone from ASUS actually monitors this group? If not can we notify someone at ASUS to suggest they watch it? How might this be known or done?

4. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Agreed great list - thanks guys.

I've been wanting to encourage Asus to issue an update to make the Main button customizable to different functions, something a lot of folks here have discussed. It's not a fix, so I'm not sure you'll want to include it here, but I thought I'd mention it.

5. JackBFlippinNimble

JackBFlippinNimble Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice job Marty. +1

6. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

7. three_pineapples

three_pineapples Pen Pal - Newbie

no offence, but your extra hardware options list is stupid.

a) You can buy new power adapters from the asus us store
    b) you can buy pens that have buttons
    c) A docking station is infeasible without a redesign.

You've raised some good points, but I think you are muddying the issues with a personal list of feature requests, 2/3 of which are already solved.

8. tgoode

tgoode Pen Pal - Newbie

Stylus driver compatibility with photoshop. I want an official driver package that supports this. We shouldn't have to roll our own solution.

9. Marty

Thanks everyone, I hope this compiled list helps you
    tackle those annoyances holding back the user experience on this slate.

I've sent in the support request via the link provided by CF77. I encourage anyone who has experienced some or all of these issues (I personally have experienced every issue listed except for the screen artifacting) to do the same.

To three_pinapples,

I don't feel the hardware list is superfluous at all. The point of this list is to show ASUS that users would prefer to have these options at the time of purchase, rather than to special-order them as after-market accessories.

However, thank you for the note about to the power adapter. I'll update the list to include that. However, I think a $100 is a bit steep, and again it would be best if the option was available with the tablet.

ASUS is simply lucky that there exists the Modbook pen which happens to fit in the silo. But users shouldn't have jump through hoops just to get pen buttons, especially when the advertisement photos already show a pen with a rocker button.

The dock is actually not impossible to implement, since the two usb ports, mini-hdmi port and DC port are all located on the same edge. But regardless of whether it is possible or not, ASUS still needs to know that these are features that many users (not just me) on this forum want, depending on their desk setups and mobile usage patterns.

And seriously, look at all the major consumer tablets (eg. xoom) coming out. Is it really that unreasonable to expect these basic hardware options to be available at the time of purchase?

10. TheOnlyKingArthur

TheOnlyKingArthur Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with Marty, being able to find third party pens that just so happen to work with the Eee Slate is not the same thing as ASUS selling them as accessories or options at time of purchase. Not all users will go browsing the internet and discover that they make pens with additional buttons that are compatible. I think some people will believe they are stuck with the buttonless pen provided.

Yes ASUS does sell a power adapter, but $99? That is ridiculous even beyond the price that Apple charges for accessories.

And given that the ports are all on one side, a redesign is not necessary for a dock. (Though I doubt they would ever consider making one.)