Step-by-step guide to creating a multi-boot Backup/Recovery and Install USB drive for the Dell Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by BenH, Dec 22, 2013.

1. BenH

BenH Pen Pal - Newbie

Step-by-step guide to creating a multi-boot Backup/Recovery and Install USB drive for the Dell Venue 8 Pro

This tutorial explains how to utilize a single USB drive to create a bootable disk that will allow you to perform a full backup and restore of your DV8P as well as to install a custom copy of Windows 8.1.
    It utilizes two prior tutorials to create each type of bootable drive and then combine them onto one for storage.

An 8 GB USB drive should be sufficient if you don't want to store your backup on the USB drive itself.
    If you prefer to store the backup on the USB drive, you should use a 16+ GB drive.

Create a WIM image for backup/restore

1. Follow my Step-By-Step Guide To Creating A Factory Backup Image For The Dell Venue 8 Pro to create a bootable backup/recovery disk. You should proceed up to and including the step "Boot to Macrium" to ensure that the disk is functioning as designed. Performing a backup after that is optional (though recommended).
    2. Once verified as working, copy e:\sources\boot.wim (where E: is the drive letter of the USB drive) to your desktop
    3. Rename the copied boot.wim to boot.wim.backup

Create a WIM image for install

1. Follow my Alternate Step-by-step Guide to installing Windows 8.1 on the Dell Venue 8 Pro to create a bootable install disk. You should proceed up to and including the step "Prepare the USB Drive." Performing the install after that is optional.
    2. Copy the boot.wim.backup from the desktop to e:\sources\ on the newly created Install USB drive.
    3. Rename e:\sources\boot.wim to boot.wim.install

You should now have 2 boot.wim files in the e:\sources directory:

• boot.wim.backup
    • boot.wim.install

Switching between Images

• Place the MakeInstall.bat and MakeBackup.bat files from this.zip file into the root of your USB drive - View attachment MakeFiles.zip
    • Now whenever you need to use the USB drive as a Backup/Restore drive, place it in your computer and run MakeBackup.bat.
    • If you need to use it as the Windows Install drive, run MakeInstall.bat

Booting to selected Image

Once it is done copying over the correct file to e:\sources\boot.wim, remove the USB drive and connect it to your DV8P and boot with the following procedure:
    1. Power off your DV8P
    2. Ensure your USB drive and/or microSD card are connected
    3. Enter BIOS by powering on your DV8P and holding the Volume button down for 3-5 seconds
    4. In BIOS tap "Boot"
    5. Tap "Boot Option #1" and select the USB drive
    6. Tap on the keyboard icon in the top right
    7. Tap F10
    8. Tap Yes to Save configuration and restart
    Your DV8P should now boot from the USB drive and launch the appropriate image

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    lefrog likes this.
  2. MarkMe

MarkMe Pen Pal - Newbie

Great article and just what I currently need!
    There's just one problem.

When I go to:

In BIOS tap "Boot"
    Tap "Boot Option #1" and select the USB drive

I am not given the option to select USB drive!

Yes, I have my OTG adapter connected with the USB drive attached.

3. c640180

c640180 Pen Pal - Newbie

MarkMe, I think I'm having the same issue you had... I don't have anything showing under "Boot Option Priorities" in the BIOS. Is there a magic combination of BIOS settings that will allow it to see USB devices? I have a restore image on both a flash drive and on the MicroSD card, and the DV8P doesn't see either of them. Sad face.

4. Methon

Methon Pen Pal - Newbie

Got the same isue with USB via OTG! Guess I solved it by using OTG Adapter with poweroption for USB (Amazon B00EJP5XR2).
    First Boot without powersupply connected USB Device didn't show up under Boot options. But it did when I got powersupply connected before second try!