Static Update!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by mattj, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi everyone,

Sorry to have to make a new thread. Everything sort of got scattered into all sorts of threads. I'm just wondering if anybody has managed to get rid of the static. The silence is telling me there might be? Theres a bios update which says fixes the static (however is reported to be bogus by some). There is also an audio driver update. I've had bad experiences with bios updates... so i was wondering if anybody at all has successfully rid the R1F of the static before i go flashing the bios. If so please leave detailed instructions.

Cheers
    Will

2. mthode

mthode Pen Pal - Newbie

I think they did with a bios update

3. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

YES!

I've flashed 305 and applied the new Realtek driver. No Static when listening to music!

It's funny, I still hear some static when there's nothing playing, and I was expecting crap when I loaded iTunes, but when the music is on, it's clear. I feel dumb for not checking this sooner. I guess I got used to having my TurtleBeach USB external sound card.

Even when listening to someone like Andrea Bocelli (Italian Opera) with a crappy 128 bit rip, I get very little static.

Go get the patches and enjoy the music.

Edit -- A final note: This test was done using the same headphones I used when I did have static.

By the way, the Turtlebeach is still better sound, but then again I'd expect it to be given the specs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  4. adamb78

adamb78 Pen Pal - Newbie

NO!

If you read carefully, the BIOS update specifically states it has something to do with reducing noise only when the computer comes in and out of standby. It does not address the underlying static issue many people were noting.

Alphaswift your issue seems different. I (and others) had very little static when something was actually playing, but a lot of static and beeping when no music was playing. This is especially noticeable when the hard drive is being accessed.

Maybe there were two issues. The issue of static overall hasn't been resolved by either the BIOS update or the new Realtek driver for me.

Has anyone else had this resolved?

BTW Alphaswift. What make and model of headphones are you using? What is the resistence of those? Supposedly high-resistence headphones like big honking studio ones are immune to this or the effect is weakened.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Huh? This is the exact issue. I thought my post above was clear. You can read my earlier posts describing and complaining about earphone static ( including the post where I bought the Turtle Beach USB sound card because the static is driving me crazy. It was not possible to listen to music when plugged driectly into the earphone jack on the R1F.

I still hear static when there should be nothing coming out of the audio port. However, and unlike before I applied the two patches, I no longer hear static while music is playing. I made a number of adjustments to be sure about this (Master/Wave/Itunes volume adjustments ). To me, this is an adequate fix -- I don't typically where the earphones if I'm not listening to music.

I also mentioned that I am using the same earphone I had before. They're some Sony p.o.c. earphones that I picked up for 20 something bucks at Best Buy.

If you've applied both patches and still have noise while playing music, I'm not sure what to say. The only things that could be different is: The patches we've been applying to XP ( I'm pretty sure I'm up to date ). The Turtlebeach driver I have loaded for my sound card ( Possible, but I had static with those drivers before I applied the Realtek and BIOS patches ) or there is a hardware problem on our system that is more severe with your unit than mine ( typically, I am not that lucky )

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. eva04

Conflicting conclusions..... Well i do know Alpha is about the only guy to have an R1F without the intensity in static to the rest of us. Still waiting for more testimonials before i flash. Thanks for the input thus far! I think Asus need to be made aware of this issue as they may already think they have resolved it.

Cheers,
    Will

7. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

as soon as my finals are over i'll try updating the bios and audio drivers, but until then I dont really want to risk losing all my notes.

8. youngmicroserf

youngmicroserf Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, had to send back my first R1F, so I'll add another 2ct with respect to its replacement machine. It's got static, but it's markedly less pronounced than on the first model. Still something I want to have fixed, but now it's not such a pain in the ear that I can't watch a DVD without beginning to hate my new notebook... I'll eventually try the new audio driver and bios (as soon as it becomes clear to me under which circumstances problems appear).

9. eva04

Hi!
    Just an update. I've emailed Asus regarding the existance of static post 305 bios/audio driver updates. It would be nice if you guys could do the same so it doesn't look like an isolated case.

Cheers,
    Will

10. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,
    I just recieved my R1F, and very happy so far. First thing of course was to test the static, and it is there (using Shure E2c by the way). Basically anything you do (move cursor, open windows...) comes with static sound effect, although not extremely loud. As a result, when I play music, the music overrides the static. I have to lower the music a lot to be able to hear it. This being said, there might be some activities of the processor that generate a stronger static, and that I have not caught yet.

Anyway, I am going to try an install the 305 BIOS, but have a question regarding its installation. The Bios Utility installed on the R1F is Winflash, but when you go to the ASUS download page, the BIOS utility available there is AFLASH2.
    Does anyone know if one is better than the other ? Given the Aflash2 is on the Download site with the 305 bios I am tempted to go with that one, but in the Asus FAQ, they mention Winflash so....
    Apreciate if someone has information on this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.