Standard User Accounts and other observations

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by DoubleE, Mar 26, 2011.

1. DoubleE

DoubleE Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,
    I wanted to post a few observations of my new EP121 as well as a fix for issues when using the tablet with a standard user account.

First,
    This has been mentioned on other threads in the forum, but since there is no search option (for those not registered) :( , it is somewhat hard to find.

If you create an account as a standard user, the physical buttons (keyboard button, aero flip 3d etc.) will fail to function for the standard user account. Admin accounts work fine.

Asus has an update for the ATK driver which will resolve the issue.
    Just install over the current one. Note, even though this driver is dated from Feb. 2011, the tablet I ordered last week did not have the latest update.
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

Hopefully, the admins will put this in the Sticky...

There are also some useful settings for windows 7 which can make using your slate easier.
    Sorry if you already know this, but hopefully some users find this helpful.
    - You can easily change the window titlebar, border and scrollbar sizes
    without installing any special window managers (like origami).
    Just type "window colors and metrics" in the windows 7 search box.

You'll see a screen that you allows you to change the size of various
    window attributes.

I especially found that making the window border, and scrollbar slightliy wider made it much easer to use touch.

Changing the Window titlebar size also makes the minimize/maximize and Close buttons larger.

- I also noticed that the on screen keyboard would "change" slightly when typing in password fields. For example, the OSK no longer had auto-complete and also wasn't highlighting the keys I pressed. A little searching, and I found out it is on purpose for security reasons (You don't want someone looking over your shoulder see you type your password). Well, its easy to change, just go into the OSK options and the help will let you know what the different security settings do.

I'm currenlty using the tablet for some light software work and testing touch apps built with C#

So far, the EP121 has exceeded my expectations. It is smooth, fast and productive! Inking is my new favorite thing to do!

2. murfmiser

murfmiser Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for compiling that information, l had adjusted my scrollbars, but didn't think about the border. That has really helped with window sizing.

3. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

There is a thread in HP 500 forum with suggestions on the theme ..window border icon size etc setup. I used their numbers but slighty lower as EP121 is bigger screen size than HP 500.

I could not find that thread again..it is about improvement to next batch of HP500.

4. DoubleE

DoubleE Pen Pal - Newbie

No problem murfmiser. I am new to the tablet pc form factor and have found this forum helpful so I figured I would post/repost something that has helped a new user like me.
    I agree, the window border size has made it so much easier to resize!

Hopefully, this tablet takes off since I think the size and power are perfect. I can't stand all of the tablets companies going for a 10" form factor with a simplified OS to copy IPAD.

With some slight customization, windows 7 is pretty touch friendly, with all the usefulness of a full blown PC

5. StewartJoseph

StewartJoseph Pen Pal - Newbie

Excellent safety tip! I enlarged the windows elements you mentioned, as well as "menu" text size, for enlarging window menu commands.

Very handy stuff, many thanks!

6. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

I liked the security-setting tip for the 0SK. Thanks DoubleE!

7. DoubleE

DoubleE Pen Pal - Newbie

No problem folks!
    Another user had a great tip about mapping the F11 key to a flick. F11 fullscreens the active window... Its a great tip. whoever posted it, thanks!

Does anyone know why Onenote doesn't always allow you to convert ink to text? Once in a while, the "convert to text option" is greyed out. I can't figure it out

btw, the more I use this tablet, the more i love it!

8. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

9. jgold52

jgold52 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the tips !
    in the OSK options use click sound is marked and I can hear the clicks sound, but when I close the OSK options and use the OSK on my dasktop no sound on clicks. any idea?