St5112?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Greg_E, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

It's faster than that, Crucial says DDR2 PC2-5300 and you should just go ahead and install 4GB because the price is pretty low for these chips. I put Mushkin in my 5112 and it seems to work just fine. Note that no matter whether you run 32bit or 64bit OS you will only see 3.2GB, even BIOS only reports 3.2GB, not sure why so just go with it.

2. ed.the.ted

ed.the.ted Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi just bought a st5112 on ebay running XP. I would like to upgrade to Win 7
    Get to load Win 7 from usb dvd but cannot complete the installation because the pen digitizer will not work nor any buttons, Tried loading drivers for Win 7 made no difference. I read good reviews of Win 7 and keen to try. Could anyone point me in the right direction.

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

You'll need an external usb mouse or keyboard to setup the OS is my guess.

4. michaelleewebb

michaelleewebb Pen Pal - Newbie

yes u have to have an external mouse to install win7, you won't need a keyboard. the on screen keyboard will work when you have to supply a user name. i just reinstalled win7 on my st5112 yesterday. i installed a intel x25-e ssd. thats the slc type. supposed to be very fast. a few pages back someone was suggesting buying intel instead of oz drives. maybe so, but don't get the generation 1 ssd. they don't support the win7 trim command. you can tell the type by the last 2 digits of the product number, if it ends with g1, forget about it!! having said that i'm getting the following results from hdtune.min transfer rate 100, max rate 113.6. avg transfer rate 112.4. access time 0.1. burst rate 66.8 mb/sec. cpu usage 65.6 (i think cup usage is high because i got everything running). it feels faster. i have a problem though, maybe someone can help. i didn't have this problem before it only started after i reinstalled win7.
    when ever i go into table controls and tell it to "save the current profile",the program just locks up. i have to tell win7 to stop the process. since i can't save the profile everytime i put the tablet into the docking station the external monitor displays everything side way. after i fix than i still can't save the profile. i removed hotkey untilites and tablet control untilites and the hotkey drivers and tablet control drivers, then reinstalled in different orders. no luck. device manager is clean, no unknown devices. 4gb of memory should be here latter this week.

5. michaelleewebb

got the "save the current profile" thing to work. added 4 gig of memory. installed see2 uv150 usb display, i now have dual external monitors ( 1 via usb port). i get a error report sometimes about the vga driver crashing but nothing seems to be wrong and the driver restarts by itself. added fancycache and used 1 gig of memory as a cache. reran disk benchmark using crystal disk benchmark, got the following:
    crystaldiskmark /TABLET SSD X25-E

READ WRITE
    SEQ 133.8 114.6
    512K 124.0 95.07
    4K 14.99 22.35
    QD32 76.33 65.50

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Is fancycache the same thing as a ramdisk? Sounds like.... Are you noticing any improvements in performance? Is it program based depending on what you allocate to the special cache?

7. michaelleewebb

fancycache is not like a ramdisk. a ramdisk looks and acts just like a regular drive but its in memory. fancycache is a caching program, everything that is written or read from the hard disk is saved in memory. check out the web site, google fancycache. right now its in beta and you can try it for free. my plan was to use the memory between 3.3 gigs and 4 gigs as a cache (which fancycache can do) come to find out the intel 945 mobile chipset doesn't have the physical lines coming out of the chip to do this. my theory is that even if we load win7 64 bit into the st5112 we will still only be able to use about 3.2 gigs of memory. since i already had it on the computer i went ahead and installed it using 1 gig as the cache. i set the cache to defer writing to the hard disk for 5 minutes. yes, i know, stupid. it would take days to be able to explain why i would set my computer like that. lets just say i am in a unique situation and can do this. also i'm running win7 not linux or apple so i don't really have to worry about the computer locking up on me :) :) i have some power usage readings: bluetooth off in bios, battery out of the tablet, screen brightness on full blast. 18 watts. after 2 minutes the screen dims 16 watts. after 5 minutes i go into standby, 4 watts. anyone else have wattage readings ??? i'm using a device call kilowatts.

8. michaelleewebb

opps just noticed a made a mistake in my post above. after 2 minutes the screen dims somewhat, 16 watts. later the screen blanks out and drops to 12 watts. then later it goes to sleep and its down to 4 watts.

9. rikou_demon

rikou_demon Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone. I've been following your posts to solve some of the problems that I have with the ST5112 (thanks so much for your detailed responses). Unfortunately, I'm left with one huge problem that I don't know how to fix.

I ordered my ST5112 off of Ebay. It came with a U2500 CPU, 1GB of ram, and Windows xp tablet edition. I went ahead and upgraded to Win7 (32 bit), which worked fine with only 1GB of ram. But, I wanted to upgrade to 4GB, so I ordered 2x2GB off of Crucial (made sure it was the right ones using their ram compatibility tool). I tried installing the ram but encountered a problem. After I installed the ram, the BIOS detects 2048MB in each socket, ~3.3GB available, but my Windows 7 won't boot. I swapped out the 4GB of ram and reinstalled the 1GB and Windows 7 boots perfectly.

My roommate has a ST5112 and also ordered 2x2GB of ram from Crucial. He installed it on his unit, which has the exact same specs as mine (albeit with Windows XP Tablet edition - he didn't upgrade to Win7). Strangely, the exact same thing happens. BIOS detects 2048MB of ram in each socket, ~3.3GB available, but his Windows XP won't boot.

Is this a BIOS problem? Windows problem? We thought it was the ram, so we ordered 4x2GB ram from another online store (returned Crucial's) and the same thing happens.

As an aside, I got my roommate's original 1GB of ram and my original 1GB of ram and installed it on my unit. Win7 booted fine and detected all 2GB.

Can someone help us? Thanks so much.

John

10. michaelleewebb

i just did the same thing a few weeks ago so i know it should have worked. when you say "win 7 won't boot" what exactly happens ?? have you tried booting in safe mode ?? whats the last thing that happens in safe mode before it locks up ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.