St5112?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Greg_E, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm thinking of buying a used beaten 5112 while I wait for something that will be better and cheap enough to be worth buying, are they reasonably decent machines? I was hoping for something smaller and lighter but I just can't see paying more than $500 for less than netbook performance and the Android devices do not have some of the things I want like a real office suite, ability to connect RS232 devices, etc.

Is it easy to get inside the 5112 to replace the hard drive? I'm pretty sure that newer drives are faster and use less energy, I might also go with an SSD to again reduce heat and energy consumption (if I can get one cheap enough).

If you see the recurring theme of cheap, I don't want to spend too much money on this because I now there will be good device coming and I don't want too much money to be a waste when those better device arrive. The Q550 was close but way too much money, if it was under $500 I would have probably bought it already.

Also if I buy one, would anyone that has a 5112 be kind enough to copy the restore disk? None of the ebay devices come with disks and while a plain install is normally better, it is nice to have the restore disk available if something doesn't work correctly.

2. Jamon

Jamon Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm using an ST5111 right now, U7600, 2 GB RAM, Atheros A/B/G, bluetooth, IR, 9 cell extended battery. The back is a kind of felt on panels with tiny screws. There's a panel to remove to get to the HDD, and another for the RAM, making it very easy to upgrade.

The HDD is most of the noise when in power saver mode. Swapping an SDD will make it quieter, faster, and feel more solid because you can toss it around a little without a spinning drive being upset. It feels a little heavy though, so you probably won't move it as much as one would a light pad of paper.

Windows 7 runs fine. I was primarily using a Core i7 before this, and I don't feel that irritating drop in performance going to the Stylistic for web browsing and small apps. I usually even keep it in power saver mode, and switch to balanced for CPU intensive processes to hurry up.

Windows experience index is 3.8 for CPU, 4.3 for RAM, 3.4 for graphics. The Q550 is said to have 2.0 for CPU.

With 9-cell battery, I don't worry about it much. It varies, but probably runs for 5 hours and more. When it's fully charged the estimated time remaining is some big number, like 6-9 hours. It's variable but lasts long enough to do things away from an outlet.

It's actually probably the best slate you can get for under thousands of dollars now. The main problem is, the screen is not LED backlit. If it were, I'd rather have it than an EP121. It's also just thicker and heavier than the super-thin iPads of today. But there's physical buttons on the side that are handy for paging through web pages, pen silo and tether, dual mics, ethernet, video out, etc. It's a full laptop, in slate form.

I'd much rather have a TabletKiosk i500, or Samsung 700T. The 700T should be in people's hands by November, possibly sooner. Maybe you should just wait for that. It will do most of what the ST5112 can, but with upgraded components, SSD, LED, thinner, lighter, PLS TFT, etc.

I can send you the OS restore disc, but my "Drivers and Apps" disc says "Reject" on the data side, so I don't think it'd work if I tried. That stuff in latest versions should be on their downloads site.

3. Greg_E

Thanks, still trying to decide if I want one of these or not. I have a u810 but reading documents on it gets a little tiring because of the small screen. If the Acer 500w or MSI 110w was a little cheaper they would work for me.

4. Greg_E

OK, how about this...

Is there a way to get the buttons working with Linux? I'm thinking Fedora15 and wondering how much works and how much does not.

5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

After owning and using a small variety of devices I can tell you this:
    -Pen based devices are serious work horses that should be able to tackle most things you can throw at them, and they will keep on ticking after pulling a few hits (its mostly that they were designed to be very solid devices, and that the $1500-3,000 price tag was justified -sorta), and buying one of these used is like buying yourself a used tank, sure it may be a little rusted and it isn't in perfect condition, but with a little care and perhaps a minor overhaul you will have humming along in no time, and it will likely stay that way for a few years
    -Touch based devices (ie: touch screen only, no active digitizer pens: like the W500, and 110w) if all you want to do with it is: browsing the Internet, music, reading some PDF's, movies, small games, a tiny bit of productivity, and not much more then this is the device, but anything more (especially handwriting anything) then get yourself a pen based device! Touch input is truly overrated, cumbersome, and very, very...very... tiresome after a short amount of time

Though you can get a device that has the active digitizer pen and a touchscreen together, they do work well when switching between pen and touch

I say take the plunge and get yourself a used pen based device from ebay using paypal (with paypal you have ~40 days in which you can initiate a full refund if the product is not as it was claimed to be, and the seller is refusing a refund outright -though, usually they will just refund your full amount as long as you ship it back to them as you got it- so with that and more, you have quite a bit of 'buyer protection' if things go pear shaped)... so, it would be cheap, have almost zero risk, and be a very solid device, don't know how much more you can ask for.

With Linux anything is possible, it just depends on your personal knowledge of how to do tings in Linux, and on the Internet articles on how to do things... but you should be able to get close to 98% of things working as well as they would in Windows 7... buttons should be very easy, all you are doing is adding a line of text that makes the OS recognize a otherwise unrecognized input as something you specify

A SSD will make a word of difference on the older machines, get yourself a 64GB or larger SSD from Intel, Crucial, or Samsung, all the rest should be best avoided (especially OCZ, and Kingston)

6. negative1

negative1 Scribbler - Standard Member

i have had a fujitsu st 5112 for 2 years now,
    and swear by it. compared to a motion computing le1600,
    tc 1100 etc. it is easily the fastest, most affordable
    tablet for its price+performance range.

they are easily expandable, and have tons of
    ports and connectors. the 5111 has a 10.4" screen
    but the same form factor as this 12" one.

definitely worth checking out.

later

7. Greg_E

I will not ever willingly buy Kingston, they will find any way possible out of their published warranty!

8. Greg_E

$205 later and it should hopefully ship tomorrow. Now the question is which memory upgrade?
    Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model 996618
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model F2-5300CL4D-4GBSQ

Both are CAS latency 4 which if my memory is correct is better than 5, or should I just go for Corsair or Crucial which is CAS 5?

SSD will probably have to wait until I find a decent one cheap, funny enough when I was on the Crucial site and checked the SSD box, the only thing they showed me was an $860 512GB drive... Why on Earth would anyone pay that much for an SSD, the speed can not be that important if you are expecting to use that much storage. 128GB I could see, but not 512GB.

I may need help finding drivers to get Win7 64bit running if I can't get Fedora working to my satisfaction.

9. Jamon

I seem to remember there's some info on the web about getting Fujitsu buttons working with Linux. I didn't bother and mostly ran Windows 7 because Linux distros lack all the pen-oriented navigational features Windows does, and the on-screen keyboards were poorly designed, so you end up needing a keyboard most of the time.

Windows 7 64bit drivers are found in Fujitsu's support downloads for newer machines, like the LifeBook convertibles from around the same time. It takes some trial and error to get the right combinations.

I wouldn't worry about the difference in CAS latency, go for whatever is cheapest. But you might want to wait to check it out. If it already has a chip it might be better to just fill the other slot.

10. Greg_E

It only has 1GB installed which is not enough, 4GB seemed to be mostly full with win7 64bit on my laptop.

The newest Fedora has Wacom drivers and supposed to have things like handwriting recognition, something about being part of gnome 3.x

11. Jamon

Yes, but the question is if it's a single 1 GB chip or 2 x 512 MB. Open Task Manager, under Performance. Windows 7 deals with memory different than older versions. You want it to be mostly in use, because it is caching and utilizing the RAM to keep things snappy. The "Free" number might be low, but the "Available" is what is more indicative of how much is actually used by programs. For wanting a transitional device for cheap, even the 1 GB might work, but if you can get another 1 GB chip for cheap I doubt you'd notice a difference between that and the 4 GB set.

Yeah, there's been Linux Wacom drivers for almost a decade. But, nope, there's nothing like you'll find on Windows 7 for handwriting. There are some on-screen keyboards, and pathetic attempts at something more, but it's practically worthless. Try it, but I can just about guarantee that if you put Windows 7 on it too that you'll spend most of your time in Windows. There's not even many apps to utilize the pen. Inkscape, Xournal, GIMP, but they don't work well, and there's nothing like the integrated experience you get in Windows. After 5 minutes getting frustrated trying to do the simplest of things like write a domain name, you'll be booting Windows 7.

12. Greg_E

If they send it Tuesday, I should have it on Wednesday so I'll know more then.

Think it would be worth it to go with Win7 Starter? I have an upgrade sitting here that I got really cheap and never used. I'll probably jam a 500GB drive in it and make a few partitions for testing, use Clonezilla to move XP over, put win7 on as a 30 day test, and fool with Linux on one other.

I tried to get the design spin of Fedora 15 but the server has been unavailable for the last couple of days.

13. Jamon

Do you want pretty Aero translucency, shadows, and taskbar image previews? Custom background? Windows Media Center? If you already have it and don't mind losing that, then it should be fine. You can always use the monthly trial if you want Home instead, and rearm multiple times. By then you might've found a better tablet to switch to.

You can play with new Fedora and other distros in VirtualBox to get an idea of what pen apps are available. Then you'll have a better idea of what to install when it arrives.

14. Greg_E

I keep aero turned off on my laptop.

15. danenick1212

danenick1212 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just picked up an ST5112(U7700 1.33Ghz, 2gb ram, 80Gb HD) a few weeks ago for $170 from Craigslist and have been using it daily for school. It's probably a B cosmetically, but the thing is solid. While I do miss my x200t for some things(LED backlit LCD!!!!) the ST5112 has been a great slate. I bought two new regular life batteries from ebay and an SSD to replace the painfully slow 80gb 4200 rpm drive. The thing is great. I am getting ~4 hours of battery life from the regular batteries and onenote and PDF Revu work perfectly. I am running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. No fuss, no driver issues, it just works.

The only complaint I really have in edge sensitivity. I get some jumpy writing around 0.25-0.5 inches from the edge of the screen at times. It's only a little frustrating, not a deal breaker by any means.

The only thing I have left to grab is a new screen protector. I will probably pick something up from Fry's and cut it to size, rather than order online. I don't need anything fancy, just something to keep the deep scratches away.

Oh, and once I find a service manual, I am going to disassemble the thing and clean the dust from under the screen. I don't thing the LCD is directly bonded, so some stuff has gotten in there and I need to get it out.

Good luck with yours!!!

16. Greg_E

Mine will be opened as soon as I can verify that it works correctly to clean out the dust. It's an off lease in C grade so it is pretty hurting. Might have to get a paint job to clean it up a little. Shipped today so pretty soon now.

17. Greg_E

Just found this Linux button driver:
    SourceForge.net: fjbtndrv looks like it includes a Wacom driver. There is a separate Wacom driver in several of the flavors out there too, said to install with the Fedora 15 Design spin, I'll find out soon enough.

18. Greg_E

19. Jamon

Wacom is in the kernel.

20. danenick1212

danenick1212 Pen Pal - Newbie