ST5112 new user questions etc..

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by nerys, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nerys

nerys Pen Pal - Newbie

nah I love slates a convertible does not do it for me if I need a keyboard that bad I will pull out my T60 with its UXGA screen.

If you could mail me those drivers I would greatly appreciate it (the ones that W7 did not detect)

you can use qhorque@nerys.com that will work for about a week. it may or may not allow you to send them if there is an EXE inside (yes google even looks INSIDE the zip files which disturbs me a little bit)

or zip them all up and post to say uploading.com or something like that. (I will make them available on my site so others can have easier access to them at least for a little while)

Fujitsu Hotkey Utility is invoked by pressing Function twice. Its a nice handy little menu to quickly perform different tasks such as going full bright or full dim on the backlight etc..

2. qhorque

qhorque Scribbler - Standard Member

Sent you a PM with the links! Let me know if they work out or if you have more questions. I'll try and reply in a more timely manner.

3. qhorque

Did any of the driver files help?

4. nerys

nerys Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for no reply I have not even tried yet. I dropped my stinking stylus and have been waiting for replacements (which arrived yesterday and work well AND fit in the holder!! I will be ordering 3 more since its only $25 for 3 this way I will have plenty of spares :)

I will try getting W7 working tonight and report back! I think I will do a clean install just to be safe.

5. qhorque

Ok. Keep us posted.

6. cduzz

cduzz Pen Pal - Newbie

Nerys --

I just got an ST5112 and am thinking of getting a couple backup pens. Did you get a surplus Axiotron pen from EBay? If so, you can confirm that it works *and* it fits in the little slot?

How do you like Windows 7 on it so far?

Do you just use a standard USB DVD Drive?

Thanks!

Chris

7. rebelranger

rebelranger Pen Pal - Newbie

nerys - your slow resume time is from booting off your SD card! Try booting off your HD and it'll be as instant as XP! I did the same as you and ran across the same problem, for max performance and batt. life install a SSD HD drive.

8. animelover30654

animelover30654 Pen Pal - Newbie

nerys - where off ebay did you purchase your st5112? I'm thinking of getting a used one off there but I'm not sure of the exact quality from the seller

9. Tapper

Tapper Pen Pal - Newbie

Win7 works pretty well at this machine.
    I´ve added 3 Gb of Ram and a 320 Gb Hd drive.

If you use Firefox, you should install the addon "Grab&Drag" to scroll with the pen. "Zoom Page" is useful too.
    For using 3dsmax or Zbrush, the app "modlock" is very useful. It can store a couple of shortcuts like "Strg&Alt&Something".

Gaming tips are "World of Goo" and "Crayon Physics".
    "Black&White" works also. But you have to set up a couple of buttons.

So W7 runs very smoothly on this slate. Nearly the same speed as my Quadcore Workstation. I´ve never expected that.
    Even 3d rendering with 3dsMax is possible. - Well the memory and calculation speed is not the same as a workstation. But for basic operations quite good.

But I have one question left:
    My tab came without an OS. So I directly installed W7.
    I have not tried Xp Tablet. I have a 9 Cell battery that runs (display fully tuned on, WLan, surfing, videos) between 4 to 4,5 hours.

At several tests and advertisement I read a lot of 9 hours of usage.
    So is that realistic?
    Can anyone confirm the loss of 5 hours of usage in W7?

If so, I would go back to XP Tablet.

Any expierience?

greets

10. qhorque

Depending on the age of the batteries that came with your ST5112, I'd suspect them of being a problem in use-time rather than W7. These batteries just lose capability over time just sitting on the shelf unused. My older P5020D started off on both batteries when I got it at a phenomenal 11 hours! That's down to about 6 or so hours after years of use.

I've tried XP Tablet on my ST5112 and was just dissatisfied with it. W7 works a lot better. XP won't help you much in power savings as far as I've experienced.

If you can swing it, a new battery will be the best option.