ST5112 new user questions etc..

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by nerys, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nerys

nerys Pen Pal - Newbie

I am a long time Fujitsu user. I still have my old tablets (386 and 486 units) my Point 510's and my much loves ST3400 and 3500 units that I still use!

I had a 3400 "mounted" to the steering wheel of my cherokee at one time for GPS (long before it became affordable to buy a auto GPS) fit perfectly in the wheel :)

Just got a ST5112 and WOW. I am not that impressed with the wacom digitizer and REALLY REALLY REALLY miss being able to use any stylus or my FINGER.

thankfully it has a decent selection of "hard buttons" so I don't have to keep pulling out the precious pen. (another reason to hate these digitizers)

alas I needed the XGA screen and XGA 3500's are impossible to find :-(

I am otherwise very impressed. its so fast its disgusting :) screen rotation is likity split resume from standby is so fast (compared to my 3500)

and battery life is out of this world! 6+ hours of video playback or PDF reading (my primary usage) will easily outlast any amount of reading I can do in a single day and the clarity is spectacular. The lack of touch is almost ok because of that gorgeous screen and its speed :)

What is your guys experience running windows 7 on this unit?

Sources for more of these pens? I am hyper paranoid about losing the stinking pen :) already got some nice thin kevlar on order to fab a tether for it.

What about cases? I used to get HEC's all the time for my older units but there seems to be nothing available for the 5112 I miss that X strap on the back especially for this much heavier tablet.

I did manage to snag a deal to include the dock for it. Rather nice :)

anything else I should know? should try?

thanks!

2. qhorque

qhorque Scribbler - Standard Member

Windows 7 runs fine on it and indeed makes the machine seem better than it is. Everything just seems to work so I have no major complaints in regards to the OS.

For reading, it's too heavy in my opinion. I find my arms lowering while holding it and ultimately my head is pointing down putting strain on my neck. So I need to prop it up somehow for lengthy reading sessions (Scientific American, for example) so I'd prefer a smaller tablet for that and indeed use my Android phone for that more than the ST5112.

I use mine mostly for stargazing (Starry Night Pro) and some basic artistry but that's about it. I want to use it for note taking but, again, it's not spectacular for that unless I prop it up somehow.

If you've used other Wacom products like their older giant tablets (the ones that made them famous) then the ST5112 feels no different. It's as good as those and a bit better. Probably not as good as the latest models of digitizers (within the last 8 years or so) but it's as good or better than my old ArtZ II digitizer.

It's a nice machine but ultimately a bit heavy for long term use.

3. nerys

nerys Pen Pal - Newbie

I am "underwhelmed" with windows 7 on the tablet so far.

"resuming" from standby on XP was darned near instant resuming in 7 is quite a bit slower.

Also where do I get drivers?

I have 3 devices that do NOT seem to work in 7

#1 an "unknown" #2 the O2 micro (though the SD slot is working) and #3 something called "other pci bridge device"

none of the drivers seem to work and I can't "force" one since I don't know what they are besides the 02 micro.

windows 7 warned me that the toshiba BT stack is not compatible though it "seems" to be working so far.

I also can not get the "buttons" to work. while I can rotate in screen

sadly this also means I can't READ in 7 since the hard buttons at the bottom ALSO do not work (I would have to use the pen)

Fujitsu Display Manager will not work the Video drivers refuse to install (say wrong version of windows they were made for vista) and it keeps saying I do not have the Fujitsu System extensions installed even though they are (so I guess they also are not compatible)

Everything else seems to work fine but those. How did you solve these issues? links to working drivers for these? is the built in 7 drivers good enough for video? maybe thats why some of the other ones are not working?

how did you fix these issues? the slowness might just be my lack of ram (1gb) I have 4gb coming in the mail for it.

I have it set to dual boot so I can switch back and forth at my leisure.

BTW I rigged 7 to boot off a flash card. Works PERFECTLY.

Any help is greatly appreciated. unless I can solve these issues and speed up 7 I don't really see a reason to run 7. I need those hard buttons.

4. nerys

nerys Pen Pal - Newbie

5. qhorque

I have some answers but have to wait to get home to look at my notes. It was quite a while ago but I fixed most issues you note, I believe. At least I am sure I have all the drivers installed and working right with no problems in Device Manager.

I'll get back to you tonight or tomorrow as soon as I can. Someone else may have answers too.

6. nerys

nerys Pen Pal - Newbie

sounds good. No rush at all. I appreciate the help!

the machine is a bit heavy but I can live with that (was using it at the mall tonight) the screen is just SO nice!

Even with everything on max brightness I don't think I COULD kill this battery (7800mah) in a day of use. Just amazing :)

7. qhorque

Haven't used the slate in a while and had to charge it up! Plugged it in and got tied up with another project or two so I forgot all about this! Sorry. I'll get back to you as soon as I can..... Really!

8. nerys

nerys Pen Pal - Newbie

no problem no rush. XP is working fine so its not like "omg i need it badly" or anything :) just when you get around to it.

want to sell it cheap? I need a backup but can't afford another $300 for one on ebay :)

9. qhorque

These are the drivers I have installed on a W7 Ultimate load on my ST5112 over and above what W7 recognized during installation:

AuthenTec TrueSuite (AuthenTec) 2.0.0.57
    AuthenTec WBDI Drive Package (AuthenTec) 1.2.1.0
    Fujitsu Button Utilities (Fujitsu) 7.02.0818.2008
    Fujitsu Hotkey Utility (Fujitsu) 3.60.0.0
    Fujitsu Mobility Center Extension Utility (Fujitsu) 3.00.00.000
    Fujitsu System Extension Utility (Fujitsu) 3.1.0.0
    Intel Graphics Driver (Intel) 8.15.10.1930
    LSI HDA Modem (LSI Inc.) 2.2.96
    O2Micro Flash Memory Card Windows Driver (O2Micro) 3.00.00006
    oZ711 SCR Driver (O2Micro) 3.0.1.6D
    Pen Tablet (Wacom) 5.1.1.8
    Shock Sensor Utility (Fujitsu) 2.1.0.1
    Windows Driver Package FjBtnDrv (Fujitsu) 4.2.0827.2009

I checked and my buttons appear to work properly (when I hit the rotate button, the screen rotates to all 4 orientations).

I have not checked to see if the modem works (I use WiFi or wire directly to the router)

I have never gotten the "Fujitsu Hotkey Utility" to do anything and no one can tell me what should happen with that driver loaded. I assume something really cool I'm missing out on!

It took a while to get the fingerprint reader to work right and it currently only works as a log-in device but I had it working at one point as a "scroll wheel" but preferred to have it authenticate my fingers for logging in. At that point it now works as a log-in device but no longer scrolls!

The shock sensor utility is way too sensitive and I had to set it low or it kept parking the hard drive when I was just repositioning it on my lap. Too sensitive. Your mileage may vary.

You may have read a post or two by me about the Intel graphics driver. If I use the latest and greatest, the CPU pegs out at 100% and the fan spools up to maximum with no end. Nothing is happening but me looking at the desktop. I changed to an earlier driver that worked with Vista and should not work with this device but it does and it works fine without the CPU pegging and fan noise. I get Windows Update telling me there's a newer version but I don't think I'll try it just yet.

I don't think I had troubles with the buttons with a base W7 install but I believe the GUI to modify them was better after installing the Fujitsu button utilities and FjBtnDrv. Again, your mileage may vary.

So, compare the drivers you have (in Add/Remove Programs or whatever W7 calls it now) to see what you have installed. I don't know if I have the locations from which I downloaded them but I have them and can probably e-mail them to you somehow. I also don't have Bluetooth on my 5112.

Let's start there and see if you have similar drivers loaded.

Oh, I just found this list I wrote during installation and this is the order in which I installed everything to work:

W7 Ultimate
    System Extension Drivers
    Button Drivers
    Smart Card Drivers
    Fingerprint App
    System Extension Utility
    Button Utilities
    Hotkey Drivers (FUJ02B1)
    Hotkey Utility
    Modem
    LAN
    Pen Drivers
    Media Slot
    Mobility Center
    Shock Sensor Utility + Update

Note they might not correspond exactly with the list of drivers above. It's just what I wrote down at the time.

10. qhorque

Sadly, I paid $700 for it and, though I don't use it much, I don't think I can yet get rid of it for less than $300! You're better off eating small for a month or two and saving up for another newer model anyway. Keep looking at the Fujitsu Store on ebay and you're bound to find a good deal there WITH warranty!

By the way, I have an older Fujitsu P5020D mini-laptop that I paid $2000 for! It's a great little machine and I suggest that the newer Fujitsu convertible tablets are better than a slate because they have the built in keyboard. If I were in your position, I'd seriously consider one of those instead. But that's me.