SSD Upgrade

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Mr. Boosh, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Still using my Z Canvas as my desktop. I think we're going on 5 years now (maybe). It's chugging along just fine, although I do see hiccups and slowdowns now if I have a lot of Adobe programs open with my Chrome tabs.

However, space is definitely becoming an issue. I'm wondering if upgrading the SSD at this point is worth it, or if I should potentially start looking at a new machine that comes with larger storage capacity.

I know there's some posts across the forums on SSD upgrading and how it can be a little scary due to the ribbon cable, but I'm hoping someone can chime in and provide some consolidated info on how it's done.

If it's worth it for me I may bring it to someone else to perform the upgrade.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Good going! :thumbsup:

I was hoping to locate a teardown video, but I could only find a video with the system already open, see here. No idea how harrowing it was to get to that point. Anyone else?

3. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I could probably bring some life back to this machine with a fresh Windows install, but that be an adventure that I do not have time for right now. Yeah, I've seen that video as well. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Hopefully someone else can chime in...>>

@Marty probably knows as much about the ZC as anyone on the forums. IIRC, there is a teardown video that someone posted in one of the discussion threads, but finding it at this late date would probably not be easy...

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

No video, but this post might be useful:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...ews-and-impressions.67832/page-23#post-459473

There's reference to post 152, but it seems like the images expired.
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...ews-and-impressions.67832/page-16#post-454721

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Best resource for disassembly is John Dalton's teardown. Pay careful attention not only to the display board ribbon, but also the latches when sliding off the screen:
    [​IMG]

The latches can only disengage when the top of the screen is lifted slightly first.

@phyc also took some excellent disassembly photos while upgrading to a Samsung 950 Pro. (Full album here.)

Good luck! :thumbsup: Z Canvas forever!

JoeS and Steve S like this.