SSD upgrade and windows install

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by watsony250, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watsony250

watsony250 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am wanting to purchase a SSD and am thinking about buying the Samsung 830 128gb. Thoughts?

This will be the first time that I do a windows install and am wondering the best way to go about this. Is there a way to install windows 7 from the recovery partition that comes on our HDD?

Also, I am wanting to demo Windows 8 so I was just going to install that from an iso file on a usb flash drive. Is there any point in making a separate partition for the windows 8 on a ssd?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The 830 is amazing. I just replaced an old Crucual M225 with on and even on my computer, which is not Sata III capable, I can feel the difference. I recommend it.

If W7 came originally with your unit, F10 ... F10 should get you a factory reset. As far as W8, MS recommends installing on a separate partition since you will have to reinstall a new version of W8 after it is released. They suggest that you keep W7 intact so you can simply upgrade it after October 26th. That is what I am doing.

3. watsony250

Awesome, that is good to hear. So when I get the new drive just plug it in via USB to SATA, hit f10 at boot up, and then will it give me an option to install W7 to the ssd?

4. Bronsky

Nope. If you put the new drive in the notebook, you can't use the boot partition. It's on the old drive. You will have to make an ISO of your system with Acronis or Ghost and reload it onto the new drive or, better yet, do a clean install if you can and then reload your software. Do you have recovery media for the elitebook?

5. watsony250

It did not come with any recovery DVDs due to the elitebook not having an optical drive, so all I have is the recovery partition on the HDD. I could download W7 iso and put it on a USB to install to the new ssd using my product key. I guess that would be the easiest? And then what would be the best way to transfer over software and drivers? Just go to the HP website and download which ones I need?

6. Bronsky

Here is a clean install guide I made a couple of years ago for the Acer 3820TG's that were being imported from Germany to the US. I backed up all of the drivers, etc., before installing the W7 ISO and used ABR to back up the digital certificate so I did not have to authenticate by phone afterwards. Acer TimelineX 3820TG Owners Lounge. Info, benchmarks, tweaks, mods and upgrades - Page 162 When I do my Slate 500, I just use the website. It's easier.

7. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

You might find this article useful; I wrote it recently after upgrading my own 2730p with an SSD. I had no problems with finding the correct drivers for the Elitebook hardware.

Windows ISOs are available online from legal sources. You will need to use your own key, and download (or modify) an ISO that matches the edition of Windows 7 that your key is valid for.

How to: Clean installation of Windows 7 « B I T Z

I'd appreciate any comments if you find the article useful.

8. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Silly question but which Elitebook tablet do you have? 2740p or 2760p? I have restore dvds for the 2760p next to me now and could send them to you?

9. KLF

KLF Scribbler - Standard Member

I just reinstalled G6 Pavilion for my friend and it had HP Recovery Manager (or something like that). I made a set of recovery DVDs with that and it also had an option to do a recovery USB stick but I didn't have any big enough at hand.

So if you still haven't wiped the original installation, look for the recovery software and see what options it provides.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.