SSD swap in the slate 500

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by ships10, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

This.

Your drive probably needs to be initialized (formatted). Although when you try to install windows 7 again on it from the disk, it should after selecting the unallocated drive, format and align it for you.

Still try to do it manually with teh above command lines and see if you get anywhere that way.

2d

(Just a little after thought... have you been able to see the ssd in your bios options? )

2. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, the ssd is visible in the BIOS.
    It formatted automatically .
    I can see 2 partions each about 59GB. One with a '0' and one with '1.'
    One is unallocated. I tried installing into both but the same happens...it freezes.
    I have not tried the command prompts.
    Roach, could you give me the exact steps to get into CMD and the command lines for all your steps....eg I have no idea how to use Bootrec /fixmbr and Bootrec /fixboot

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Hey Ships,

From the same console that you are trying to recover the image, there is an option to go to the command line. Diskpart is an interactive cmd line program, you enter it by typing diskpart, from there use the commands I posted.

Bootrec is a single line command line progeam, to fix the master boot record:

bootrec /fixmbr

To fix the partition table:

bootrec /fixpart

4. 2disbetter

Your drive is being partitioned into 2 because of the way your back up is saved. I'm not sure if the backup software you are using allows it, but for example acronis true image allows you to scale up or down when restoring images.

Then again it shouldn't matter, because once you get into the windows desktop you can use system tools to extend your main partition to it. Since you are getting crashes anytime something is written to the drive, I'm at a loss. But it probably wouldn't hurt to just reformat the entire drive, and then let windows 7 install. This will ensure that your backup program isn't the culprit. With a fresh drive untouched, you shouldn't have nay problem using the drive. If windows 7 installs, you can then later, go back and try to restore your image to the existing partition then.

Best of luck.

2d

5. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

Ships,
    I'm sorry to hear that you are still having issues with installing win 7 and your image on your new ssd drive. Looking at your post it seems as if you did the same steps that I did, so I don't know why mine worked and yours has not. Hopefully others who are assisting will guide you to success.

6. ships10

I finally succeeded. I'll give details later.
    I am also about to upgrade my wireless card to the intel 6230 since I have the slate open. I must love trouble!...lol!

7. revmike

Good for you. Keep us informed. I'm anxious to hear how you finally got it to work. You must be a glutton for punishment for changing out the wifi card. Hope it works for you.

8. ships10

Yes... I did it! Well, I decided to try to reinstall the image but try something different. When I reached the stage to format the drive I did NOT check the box and clicked on "next".... that did the trick. It went straight to restore image! I don't know why but the drive does not require formatting. I think it gets done automatically.
    The wifi card did not work out. The slate refused to reboot... stating that it was an incompatible card. So I let it go for now. I am so glad this ordeal is finally over.. . . .
    One interesting feature that is working flawlessly is the 4-way rotation. I am not sure how long it will last but I am enjoying it!
    I have put back the slate and it feels solid and as good as new!I am not sure if I want to open it again..lol.

I did notice much better/faster touch response. High Def. youtube video played without stuttering for once.
    Now I have lots of HD space....over 80 gb of it free....out of the 128 gb. Windows only sees 118 gb...the rest eaten by the programs.
    I'll have to observe other improvements.

9. revmike

Ships,
    Welcome to the slate 500 128gb drive club. I hope you enjoy your new drive as much as I do mine.

10. 2disbetter

Ships awesome stuff. I'm glad you got it working!

2d