SSD swap in the slate 500

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by ships10, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I managed to successfully install my 128gb mydigital discount ssd into the slate .
    I am now trying to reinstall the OS from the recovery disk.However, it is stuck at the 0% stage of 'copying windows files' stage. It has been over 25 minutes.
    Is this normal? How long should it take to reinstall the OS ?
    I am doing this thru the slate usb port.
    The BIOS does show the ssd when I choose boot options .
    Update: I abandoned the installation and am now running the hard disk test via the BIOS.
    HD test successful. Trying to install windows again.....!
    Thanks.

2. cmergel

cmergel IT Mgr. / DBA by trade.

re: upgrading drive | Very cool... Ships, where are the pictures of the disassembly and reassembly? :) What is the make and model of the drive you upgraded to? I may have to look into that once my warranty expires. :)

Does it put back together nicely? Does the outside silver bezel fit back snug and tight? I have thought about it, but I'm scared. :)

re: 0% copying Windows | No, is not normal.

Have you tried to copy your recovery stuff on a bootable USB stick? I did it that way because I don't have an external CD/DVD.

Just a thought.

3. ships10

This is the ssd: MyDigitalSSD 128GB Bullet Proof Half Slim SATA II SSD | My Digital Discount
    I have some pics...I'll try to load them once I can get the OS loaded....I am so frustrated at the moment. I have tried several methods to try and reinstall the OS from the recovery disk....no luck so far.
    Yes , it does put back together....pretty well. You just have to be VERY patient, careful and gentle!
    Start to pry open from the bottom of the back where the 2 small openings are.
    Use a flat head screw driver and another one to elevate the silver bezel from
    the body of the tablet. Then it can be done by hand gently all round.

The bezel also fits back well. There is one step you should know. Start putting the silver siding from the power switch. Make sure u put the power
    switch locked up and then grab the internal power switch between the prongs of the external power switch.
    and the slowly slide the outside bezel over the tablet....lol....don't mean to make it too complicated.
    I don't have a bootable USB stick. It does recognize the external usb DVD drive.
    I'll need to do more research. Maybe the ssd is not compatible or defective.

4. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

Ships10, You are the man. Here's to your success in installing the os, so that we who wish to follow, may be able to learn from your efforts.

5. ships10

I have spent almost half a day trying to figure this one out...no luck.
    It just freezes at "copying windows files"...no idea why....at 0%.
    If any of you tech gurus know about this issue with windows I would appreciate some help. I would hate to put back the old ssd.
    I am almost there..but not quiet there yet. This was the least of the problems I anticipated...lol!

I have really searched the net...but can't seem to find an answer yet.
    I have installed win 7 on my other laptops and desktop with new ssd's without a hitch....but this one got me by surprise.

6. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did you 'initilize' the SSD? because when you first get a new HDD or SSD you have to write a partition table of some kind to it (and AFAIK you can't do that while only in Win 7 install). Even if you did initilize the drive I would recommend you to use a Linux Live CD/ USB then use G-Parted from within that (or simply use a simple G-Parted Live CD/ USB) then write a MBR partition table [choose 'New Partition Table' If I recall correctly] then partition it however you would like, then choose 'apply' wait for it to finish, then it should be all set to have Windows 7 installed to it.

While doing all this it wouldn't hurt to download the Developer preview of Windows 8 and then try installing using that if everything else is failing :\

7. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Seconding Linux live system. Also try to write something on the disk with it.

8. revmike

I found this. I don't know if it would work on the slate, but it might be worth a try. Hopefully you created a system image and a repair disk before removing your original ssd drive.

From control panel choose backup and then choose create system image.
    - create your image on an external USB drive.
    - Next create a Windows 7 repair disk 64 Bit and 32 bit versions exist, so create whichever applies. Mine is 64 Bit.
    - Power off the EP121
    - Swap out the Sandisk mSata, replacing it with the Intel ( I replaced my 2GB memory with a 4 GB chip at the same time)
    - Plug a usb hub into one of the USB slots ( you'll need more than two at this juncture)
    - Plug a usb keyboard (win 7 repair disk does not recognize BT)
    - Plug in a USB mouse (win 7 repair disk does not recognize touchscreen)
    - Plug in that USB external hdd you created your image on
    - Plug in an external CD/DVD reader
    - Power up the EP121
    - Enter Bios (Press Del key repeatedly after power button) to ensure boot order has CD/DVD drive first - save and boot from CD/DVD
    - Follow the prompts to restore a system image

When you are done you'll have the entire contents of your 32 GB Sandisk drive imaged onto the Intel drive.

One more thing to do after booting up.

Windows 7 only partitions replacement HDD's exactly like the prior HDD so you'll only have a 32 GB partition.This is easily correctable.

- Go to my computer and right click or press the touch screen until the right click pull down menu options show.
    - Choose Manage
    - Choose logical disk manager
    - tap on the c partition
    - tap and hold on the c partition to bring up right click pull down menu.
    - tap on extend this partition
    extend it to use the entire 80 GB of the new HDD

You're done. You now have the Windows installation in the exact state it was in before you replaced your hdd, but transplanted onto your new Intel HDD.

9. ships10

There is already a partition ...2 partitions -one is about 100 mb and the other is
    119 gb. Win 7 install automatically creates these partitions during the very first step of the installation. However, when I try to format or go on to install the win 7 OS it freezes....hightly suggestive of a defective drive.
    No, I did not create a system image.
    I think I might have a lemon on my hand. SSD's usually format easily and quickly and then the installation is a breeze.
    I have asked for a replacement. In the mean time I might create a system image using acronis and try installing the image if I fail to reinstall the OS from the recovery disk.
    So, my project is delayed for now...lol...I hope I get the new ssd by weeks end.
    If this ssd will not work, I might have to buy a different half slim ssd ..I wonder if Intel makes one?
    Half slim ssds with larger than 64gb space are very difficult to find .If you guys know of another manufacturer let me know.

10. revmike

I saw one somewhere, but I can't remember where? But it cost around $400.00, more than I wanted to pay. I'll have to look again when I get home.