1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

SSD into M400 tablet problems

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by ships10, Dec 24, 2011.

1. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have been trying to install an OCD ssd into the M400.
    However, when I try to install win 7 from the disk or from the repair disk and system image it says no hard drive detected.
    The bios shows the disc .
    Any ideas what to do?
  2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member

You need to 'initilize' the drive (write a partition table to it) you can do that from within a Windows machine (after hooking the drive up to that functioning computer), or you can download and burn a G-Parted Live CD GParted -- Download and do it on the M400 itself. Then you should be able to install Windows to it
  3. ships10

When I hooked it to my desktop via usb port it did not show up as a drive although it seems to have installed the drivers....weird....
    I did see a drive icon with a cd-like icon. but when I click on it , it does not open up....!
  4. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member

You need to open up "Create and format partitions" (press the windows key, then type 'partition' and press enter, it will launch)then you need to right click on the drive and choose to initialize the drive, then you can create a partition on it to use it
  5. ships10

Agent 9,
    Thanks for your help...however, I decided to take the long route.
    I reinstalled the old OS from the recovery disc with Vista on it.
    I then upgraded to Win 7 HP.
    Windows update updated almost all my drivers.
    It seems to be working fine now.Yes, it did take a long time do all of this....but it worked....yeah!
  6. purplepeopledesign

purplepeopledesign Scribbler - Standard Member

Are you running the 64-bit version of Windows 7?

:)ensen.
  7. ships10

No, 32-bit Win 7.
    There is something wrong with the toshiba drivers in recognising ssd's.
    I also updated all the drivers from the toshiba support page.
    All are very useful...especially the tablet buttons /functions as well the security
    drivers.
    I feel like I have a brand new machine...but much faster !
  8. purplepeopledesign

Hmmm... have you considered the fact that the Windows cannot enable TRIM with the SATA RAID interface in the M400? AFAIK, even setting the BIOS for JBOD will still not allow the OS to reach past the RAID.

9. ships10

No , I have not...but what could be the worst outcome?
    So, far it is running really well!
  10. purplepeopledesign

Worst case is if the SSD controller does not have internal garbage collection. Such an SSD does not spend any downtime clearing data locations that has been "erased" by the OS so to reuse those spots requires both an erase and a write, slowing things down when you are using the drive. The only way to solve that eventual problem is a full reformat, which is a only a minor hassle if you have a spare drive to clone to and from and a major hassle if you have to reinstall the OS and all your applications.

Ironically, it will be the newer SSD controller that will require this future maintenance. The design of older SSDs assumed that the OS did not have TRIM so they tended to put independent onboard garbage collection.

Since I also have an M400, I expect that I will have to re-clone my drive this way at some point.

11. ships10

Can the bios be modified to overcome RAID issues?
  12. purplepeopledesign

Probably not since it requires Toshiba to release an update to a machine that it 6 years old. I don't think it's that big a deal. If you put in an SSD, it means you've got the old HDD somewhere and it'll be fairly easy to clone it back and forth when it starts the write functions start to slow down. And that's if it even happens within the overall lifetime of the tablet.

I'm hoping that by then, some of the new controllers will implement more efficient garbage collection on board than what is being done with the OS and CPU power.

13. ships10

Which SSD have you put into the M400?
    I am glad to hear that it should not be a big issue. I made a backup with system Image on to an external HD. I wonder if restoring from this HD could also be made use of if it ever starts to write slow.
  14. purplepeopledesign

Kingston V100 - 128GB. Not extreme like some of the new drives but still so much faster than the 7500 RPM Hitachi that it replaced that it felt like a new machine for the first couple months. Now, I won't even consider the frustration of waiting for a platter drive to spin up.

AFAIK, a system restore by itself does not solve the problem of an SSD slowing down. When that happens, you can't just write new data to it, but you have to clear every last bit before reloading your image. It's a characteristic of the solid state memory.

15. ships10

What if I reformatted the ssd before reinstalling the image from my back up from an external HD?
  16. purplepeopledesign

Yes... but make certain to do full format. Quick format does not overwrite anything but the tables. Not sure, but I wonder if the thoroughness of BIOS format is even better.

But as I said, you won't need to do this until the drive starts to slow down. I've had my SSD in now for a year with typically 6 hours of daily use and no problems at all.

17. ships10

Well, that is good to hear.I don't use the toshiba as much in any case....sometimes when travelling or in my office.
    I use my HP slate 500 a lot and my Gateway tablet is my main laptop.
    So, I guess I should stop worrying too much...cos the toshiba tablet is in a class by itself. The high res. screen and wacom pen makes it a great tablet .
    Since installing the ssd and the new wireless card, it is just awesome to work on. Pity it is not a touch tablet.
  18. purplepeopledesign

I think most of the TPC mfg underestimated how much their fan club likes the SXGA screens. If they put these high resolution screens and an nVidia GPU into one of the new models, I wouldn't hesitate to bring out the credit card.

19. ships10

Yes, but it better have multitouch ! I think Toshiba is very capable of producing a nice windows touch tablet like samsung 7 series and do extremely well. They really know how to produce laptops.
    If they do , I hope it is in the 9" range.
  20. toshibamixer

toshibamixer Pen Pal - Newbie

1) can you run a 64 bit version of windows on the ez model of this m400
    2 would this solve the trim / erase issue for the ssd install?

Thanks!