1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

SSD for TC1100

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Merlin95, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Merlin95

Merlin95 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am considering upgrading my old TC1100 with a SSD.
    But, whereas I know I need to buy an IDE SSD, I just don't know which brand/model is the best for my tablet.
    Most of the threads I read refer to Transcend SSD. Are they really the best? Will Transcend or other SSD be small enough to fit:confused:?
    Will I get an improved battery life, since my assumption is that SSD are less power consuming?
    Thanks
  2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I did think the same thing years ago but the price was quite high. If you can grab a KingSpec for, say, £50 I'd just go for it anyway. 2.5" ide is 2.5" ide across the board (ish) so you should have zero issue fitting the drive. Improved battery life? Probably only a little.
  3. Merlin95

Thanks! It is surprising to me that the battery life will only be a little improved. So if my current HDD works well, what's the real advantage of switching to a SSD? Reduced start up time? Will the temperature of the tablet be reduced (with my current configuration, it can quickly run quite hot)?
  4. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Yes, the start up time is reduced (appears quicker), access time for files and the swap file is less (appears quicker), battery life is improved, heat is improved, all of the above is a benefit.

Unfortunately, with the older technology like the TC1100 the heat and battery consumption from the CPU and screen illumination is so huge the effects from the SSD will be tough to notice.

The SSD is an improvement, however. Heck, the 7200RPM IDE HDD I put in my TC1100 made a noticeable improvement over the 4200 RPM drive that was originally in there.
  5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

However, I've also got an old Motion le1600, and I think it runs fine with an old HDD. SSD did not noticeably improve battery life, heat, or noise. Noise has only been an issue on faster HDD's, like something that is 7200 rpm-- then the speed of the disk is enough that it makes a noise to those who are finnicky (like me!). But the older 4200 rpm hdd's are so slow they're generally pretty quiet in an ambient way.

As others have noted, boot time, speed to access files, and general "snappiness" improve with SSD's. I would also say that if you work outdoors or in rougher environments (I do) then a SSD is much less likely to suffer failure from dropping, etc. So there's that to consider as well.

Beyond that though, if you find the responsiveness of your current setup quick enough, you'll not find many other benefits from a SSD.

Re: heat- for an older computer such as you have, you should look into undervolting if you have not. This can pretty dramatically reduce heat in older computers without reducing performance. There are a number of helpful guides on the internet.
  6. Merlin95

Thanks all.
    So I bought my SSD and I am about to install it. However, I am running Windows XP SP2 and I have now read in several posts saying that XP does not manage SSD properly and I need to install Windows 7... Is this really mandatory? I don't have W7 so if I need to buy a license, the total cost SSD+Memory+W7 is high...higher that another refurbished TC1100 with the right configuration and getting closer to a newer tablet with all what I need (except Wacom unfortunately....)
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  7. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member

You don't need Windows 7, Windows XP will work just fine, it doesn't support TRIM and maybe a feature or two of SSD's, but there are work-arounds that you can use every few months or just once a year to have it working without issue.

I have found that Windows 7 if paired down is faster than Windows XP on even older machines, and I prefer the User Interface and the Tablet Input Panel as well in Windows 7, it also seems more stable/ secure. But you won't really be missing anything from sticking with XP.
  8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

You don't need it. I agree. It's of use, but not necessary.

The two big advantages to Win7, imo, are that it's a) generally quicker and more responsive, b) the TIP and the handwriting to text conversion is way better, and c) it supports TRIM automatically. If you know you're stuff about cleanup on your SSD though, don't care about using the TIP, and don't find XP slow, Agent 9 is right, it's not necessary, just an improvement.