SSD Choices

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Xerott, Mar 23, 2010.

?

What size SSD did you go with?

1. >32 GB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 40 - 48 GB

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  3. 60 - 64 GB

12 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. 80 GB

17 vote(s)
    18.9%
  5. 100 GB

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. 120 - 128 GB

28 vote(s)
    31.1%
  7. 160 GB

9 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. 200 GB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 250 - 256 GB

13 vote(s)
    14.4%
  10. 500 GB<

7 vote(s)
    7.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apkungen

apkungen Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi!

Just uppgraded from a tx2500 to a tm2. I had a SSD in my tx2500 that I wanted to move to the tm2 but it doesn't fit in the tm2. OCZ Core Series V2 60gb is the SSD I have. The case to the SSD is to big in the borders.

Any suggestions on what I shold do? Can I remove the plastic case (The warrenty will vannish) Some kind of adapter I can use?

If there is no sollution , what SSD should I uppgrade to that definitly will fit? I want a cheep one.

2. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

If your SSD doesn't fit just get a screwdriver and push that silver-ish metal piece hard... real hard so it will bend and your SSD will fit. Tried it with a 240GB Vertex 3 :)

3. dubswagen

dubswagen Pen Pal - Newbie

did anyone have problems after installing an ssd?

i swapped out for a kingston ssdnow 64gb and I keep getting freezes and BSODs
    i already have the lastest bios as well

edit: btw I just got my tm2 today and I'm stoked.. lovin it!~

4. dubswagen

any help?
    anyone? :(

5. davidab

davidab Pen Pal - Newbie

Not with my TM2. I put an Intel X25 160GB in it, and it has worked perfectly. I do run it without a swapfile though, and it has never been more than 100GB full.

However I have had problems with an older Asus laptop and a Crucial M225 256GB drive. As the drive filled up (to about 10GB free), it kept locking up, and crashing. I tried various BIOS updates, and repairing Windows, but never fixed the problem. I ended up replacing it with a 500GB Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive which works perfectly.

The M225 is now in my desktop, and so far seems to be ok. The swapfile is on a separate drive, and it is only half full.

So my only suggestions would be to try it without a swapfile, and to leave as much free space as possible.

6. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@dubswagen
    All I have heard of the Kingston SSD's is terrible stuff (well, the V+ series is supposed to be ok-ish) they are just about the worst SSD you could get with all the issues they have, same with OCZ these days (maybe buying a OCZ was a good move about 2 years ago, but no-more, between their very low quality, terrible quality control, and non-existent customer support -if you get a defective drive that is either DOA or dies after some time they will put it on you and not do a thing about the drive, hence they suck)

I would recommend returning it to where you got if from for either a full refund or store credit, then get a Intel or Crucial SSD that is within your budget, if you went to the SSD section on Notebook Review's Forum you would see the same advise of Intel or Crucial, and them telling you to put as much distance between you and OCZ

7. dubswagen

Thanks for the replies..
    Yea, I noticed (after buying) it that Kingston is probly not the best brand to buy. Everyone's been recommending Intel.
    I didnt do much research before buying though... I got it for 65$ used off ebay (thought it would be worth a try at that price).

It actually works fine in my desktop when I tested it with a Windows 7 install, and also works fine when I used it my external enclosure. The probs start whenever its in my tm2.. intermittent lockups, BSODs every now again..

So I'll give disabling the swapfile a try now.. if that doesnt help I'll probly just put it in my desktop and buy an Intel or just go for a 7200rpm drive

8. Moon Shadow

Moon Shadow Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had the Intel 510 250GB and am currently using an Intel 320 300GB. There is no perceptable difference between them, both are blazing fast and both boot and shut down quickly. Both gave me about 5hrs battery life with an SU9600 with virtual exensions and ATI video enabled (1 hr more than Seagate 500GB Momentus XT). I love my TM2 with an SSD more than any notebook I've ever used, and I've had a lot. I'm an IT pro and the only SSDs that haven't given me problems have been Intel.

9. deyanimay

deyanimay Scribbler - Standard Member

I just got an Intel 320 160GB SSD and did a clean install, but I'm not noticing an huge differences in speed to what I had before. Are there any tweaks or settings in windows 7 specifically for SSDs that need to be enabled?

10. marcelo

marcelo Pen Pal - Newbie

I guess you are better off than me... I just installed my SSD, clean install, and this thing is slower than my old TC1000.

I found this guide: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-touchsmart-tm2-wacom/37686-ssd-performance-tweaks.html

Although it didn't do anythinbg to my case specifically, it might help in your case.

I need help! :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.