SSD Choices

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Xerott, Mar 23, 2010.

?

What size SSD did you go with?

1. >32 GB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 40 - 48 GB

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  3. 60 - 64 GB

12 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. 80 GB

17 vote(s)
    18.9%
  5. 100 GB

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. 120 - 128 GB

28 vote(s)
    31.1%
  7. 160 GB

9 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. 200 GB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 250 - 256 GB

13 vote(s)
    14.4%
  10. 500 GB<

7 vote(s)
    7.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. touchytm2

touchytm2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Where were you during all the other SSD discussions? :cool:

And the review sites all fail at mentioning this fact as well. It is definitely snappier, but I have never bought an SSD before so I don't know what to expect. It seems that it does have a cache.

It is likely possible that you had the 1st gen without TRIM. "Below the Intel controller is a single 32MB Micron 133MHz SDRAM that is used for the cache of the drive. The chip is labeled 48LC16M16A2-75."

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1111/3/

2. fatestkid

fatestkid Pen Pal - Newbie

Intel x25-v got it for $140, works for me.

8 GB windows 7
    8 Gb programs (this is being very very liberal for me)
    4 Gb Data (again liberal)

I must mention that I have yet to recieve my SSD or my TM2 (1 more day). This is gonna be one mean note taking machine lol

3. prevenge

prevenge Pen Pal - Newbie

ARGH. I want an SSD so much now. This is killing me. Have been reading Anandtech's article on the situation [well, the third one].
    Perhaps after the summer ends I will buy the OCZ Vertex 30GB one for $80. That's what it is on newegg right now. Or the Intel budget one for $125? ...
    All I need the space for is videogames [which make me not do homework] and music [which I have an 32 GB iPod for]. ...But I want those things!
    AGHHHH.
    Screw SSD's. ... This is disappointing. Well, more frustrating than disappointing. Is it worth not having, say, a good 100GB of programs with you that you'll never use? Or music? What would you, oh SSD users, give up to continue to use your SSD?

*edit*
    OK, apparently it would cost like $220 for me to get a good SSD. Oh well, unless I magically get money ... that is not happening for a long while. :p

4. soeharyo

soeharyo Pen Pal - Newbie

Question:

How many hard drives can the tm2 support? If the answer is two, or more.... may I get a small capacity ssd just for booting and then use my hdd for storing music and games?

5. Dave_S

Dave_S Pen Pal - Newbie

I've just swapped my hard disk for a SSD and it doesn't look like there's room or connections for a second drive.

6. soeharyo

soeharyo Pen Pal - Newbie

d'oh... that's too bad. thanks anyways.

7. Mtnbiker

Mtnbiker Pen Pal - Newbie

What's a good size/brand/model choice for a student who will be using their tablet solely for school (ie annotating pdf and powerpoints, wordprocessing, interweb browsing)? I'll either get the 2740p or X201T if that makes a difference.

I was leaning towards an 80 gig Intel X-25, but those come in different flavors as well, don't they?

8. E1000

E1000 Scribbler - Standard Member

In the tm2 if you order without 3G there is a spare 54mm mini pci-e slot that would physically take one of the ssds designed for netbooks. I believe they compare to a kingston V ssd however they are pricey and there is no guarantee that it would work - in fact I would go as far to say I would be very surprised if it did.

I have a quick question. If I opted for a 1.8 SSD for my tm2 would it work. I realise it would be small for the bay but is the sata connector the same size?
    Personally looking to get a 160GB intel G3 when they arrive later this year.

9. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. Mtnbiker

Mtnbiker Pen Pal - Newbie

I saw that, thanks for posting it. I'm sorry I missed the X-25M sale at superbiz, that was a great price. Since I don't have the tablet yet, there's no huge rush to get it... but I want to be ready to buy when I see a good deal pop up.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.