sporadic CPU usage, screen autorotation failure, unwanted pen clicks

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Vandroiy, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vandroiy

Vandroiy Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm having weird issues with my R1E.

I installed clean Vista 32bit, the Intel GMA, WLAN and TurboMemory drivers, ATK Hotkey and the Wacom driver. (I also use the RM Clock CPU utility, but only to monitor. Due to the lack of support of the FSB reduction, its management features are turned off.)

sporadic ghost CPU usage... of the BlueTooth? (edited)

In RM Clock, sometimes I see a high idle CPU usage of 12~30% in the lowest power mode (CPUs running at 8x multiplier with half FSB, so 800 MHz speed), although OS CPU usage is significantly lower (between 3 and 6 percent). I cannot find that CPU usage in anything else. RM Clock OS load, Process Explorer and Task Manager all show the same load, which is normal.

Now this behaves in an odd way. After a restart, sometimes it is there, sometimes it isn't. It then unually remains the way it was at startup. When I turn off BlueTooth using the hardware switch above the keyboard or Fn+F2, the partly-invisible CPU load incereases by a repeated oscillation of another 10~15% load. Maybe it's looking for its lost BlueTooth functionality all the time?

I fear this reduces battery life, especially since (if the CPU usage RM Clock reports is true) it sometimes draws extra power when WLAN is off to save battery life. This is highly counterproductive.

Screen rotation

ATK Hotkey - the driver managing the automatic screen rotation and screen rotation button - fails sporadically. See this post in the related thread.

Random pen clicks

When I ran the battery low just now, when the R1E was on for over 2:30h (I only have he primary battery), I started getting random right-clicks of the pen on my screen. It stopped when I began re-charging it.

Tablet irregularities

Close to the longer display sides, the tablet is unprecise. Along a line on each side, the point is always quite a bit away from the pen. This results in an area where it's difficult to write in, as the pen's point would show a stronger or weaker reaction, depending on the position. Everywhere else, the tablet seems precise and works very well.

Is this normal? Do all R1 Talets have that "unprecise zone" on the display?

I would be happy about ideas, answers or suggestions concerning these things! I like my R1, but I need to solve these things in order to use it on the long run.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. lakytus

lakytus Pen Pal - Newbie

My R1E does the same thing along the edges of the screen. It's a few pixels off from the pen, but near the middle of the screen it's fine.

3. xero0123

xero0123 Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't checked for the ghost CPU usage, but I've experienced exactly the same symptoms you have in the other areas. I've gotten right clicks in the upper left corner under a few different circumstances, but yesterday I had it start at low battery power. Both this and the imprecise pixels along the edges are really irritating, but judging from the experiences of some of the other forum members, I'm not sure dealing with asus customer support is worthwhile. It seems to just leave people with a lot of headaches, and assuming they actually try to "fix" it, nothing really gets repaired.

4. Vandroiy

Vandroiy Pen Pal - Newbie

I figured out that it's the BlueTooth that misbehaves, not the WLAN. So I'll try installing other drivers... afaik, there's one from Toshiba and one ASUS version? I'll go for the ASUS one first, if the DL server ever lets me get it.

5. shiva87

shiva87 R1E Tableteer

The same problems with the tablet input functionality and the auto rotation issue. After the 1st restart the tablet wouldn't auto rotate and now after about a week all of a sudden it's started to rotate automatically when I go into tablet mode. Does anyone know of any fixes to these? The one with the input being irregular near corners is highly annoying!

6. Dayanim

Dayanim Pen Pal - Newbie

same problems over here.

with the CPU issue i find sometimes im installing software and it will stop for a really long pause at one point in the install then randomly just pick up again up to minutes later?

the cursor getting stuck to the top left corner and constantly clicking/right clicking is really annoying. Instinct says its a driver issue maybe since before I reinstalled clean (with the drivers from the net) it worked fine?

Hope there is a fix out for this!!

7. lagecaj

lagecaj Pen Pal - Newbie

I just experienced the same problem with my tablet screen constantly rotating for no apparent reason, and fen flicks all over the place, opening up random screens etc. trully the most frightening, and annoying 20min I have spent in front of a PC. My first reaction was to open up avast! and do the deepest scan possible. so far nothing.

I have a tc4400 running vista ultimate 32, which I have just re-installed from a complete format of the HDD. I have installed all the latest drivers. so I am trully at a loss. needless to say I hate vista and am cursing my decision to change from XP.

I have 4 gig of ram so I know thats not the problem... or is it?

I was just charging the battery however,

If anyone knows anything about this I would forever be in your debt. nothing more annoying than trying to give a presentation with your screen rotating madly.

8. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

CPU activity: Vista seemed to do that for no apparent reason. Is your Indexer service turned off?

Precision along the sides: My suggestion is...don't write there? :) I've noticed that as well but it's a rare event and not an issue I guess I start writing away from the edge. Not a big deal to me.

Rotation: Not a problem for me. The only times it rotates is when I lean my wrist against the button and I had forgotten to set lock the 'hold' button.

Random right-clicks: EVERY time this has happened it was my stubby fingers touching the button on the pen. I adjust how I hold the pen and the problem goes away until next time :p I'd suggest a third party pen without the button ( since I seem to always just hold the pen down to invoke the right-click menu I really don't need the pen button ).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.