Spontaneous mouse clicks

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by sitongia, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's a strange one.

I tried out Netflix on my 500, via IE 9. The video was jerky, so I stopped it. Then I started getting spontaneous mouse clicks all over the screen. It was like rain drops falling randomly, one every few seconds. I wasn't touching the screen. The screen would show the expanding circle animation like that point had been touched. If it happened to fall on an active element on screen, the action would be performed, so it was opening windows, clicking on them, etc., all on it's own.

I rebooted and it hasn't happened again.

==Leonard

2. Boyd

Boyd Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had that problem for a long time with mine and it's hard to figure out what triggers it. Sometimes when it's in the dock it will wake up from sleep for no obvious reason, then the ghost starts clicking all over the screen activating menus, etc.

A couple times the pen was near the unit (but not touching it), so I wonder if that was a factor. We have discussed before and RF noise has been suggested as a culprit, from other devices nearby or through the power line.

If I plug my slate into a duracell inverter, it will do this to the point of being unusable, so that's one case where it doesn't like noise in the power supply.

3. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

I've had that happen to mine on a couple of occasions. I just re-install the touch driver and that seems to work for me.

4. Boyd

Boyd Pen Pal - Newbie

Why do you think that this requires re-installation of the driver? That would never have occurred to me. It seems to be a random problem with the screen that is triggered by something. Do you think there's a something actually corrupting the driver file?

Personally I think it's caused by sensitivity of the screen to external interference of some kind, like RF interference or even static electricity. I have never reinstalled any drivers and this only happens from time to time.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I think it's caused by sensitivity of the screen to external interference of some kind...>>

...My assessment, also. Re-installing the driver shouldn't be necessary.

However, performing a touch calibration should be helpful and, (if I recall correctly) occurs as part of the driver (re) installation...

6. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

I've done both and reinstalling the drivers in my own opinion works. When I've done it says repair, so something is being fixed.

7. angelix

angelix Pen Pal - Newbie

have been fighting with the issue for a year now.... I noticed that it is more annoying when I have it connected to the LCD TV, I guess there is some interference paying games with the touch screen.

I tried re-installing, but nothing changes, so when that happens I just recalibrate the screen ant that seems to be a quick fix.

8. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been having this problem intermittantly since I got my Slate. For me it seems to be linked to static electricity on very dry days (like now in the winter). Try huffing on your screen to deposit some water vapor before you do anything more drastic.

9. tabfan

tabfan Pen Pal - Newbie

10. Boyd

Boyd Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't use my slate much anymore, so it sits around for days at a time on my desk. Last night I turned it on and started getting severe phantom mouse clicks all over the place, activating various menu functions.

I noticed that the screen had a thin coating of dust, so I took a damp kleenex and wiped down the screen, then dried it with another kleenex. I didn't shut the slate down, didn't recalibrate the screen - just cleaned it. The phantom clicks stopped and did not return.

Thinking about this, I believe that a dirty screen may have been a factor in the past, since they seem to occur when I haven't used the slate for awhile. Next time you have a problem like this, try wiping down your screen and see if it helps instead of recalibrating. :)